Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 09-25-2010, 02:38 AM

othicx is on a distinguished road
Default Sump levels constantly changeing?

So I have a question for everyone. I have been hired to maintain the tank they have in Joey's only and they have had it running for about a month now. The one thing that we have noticed with it is that the sump level will drop about 6 inches every day but then rise again every now and again. The auto top off has been turned off as it was filling the sump up to much. I was thinking it was condensation as it is pretty warm in the store and also they have a topper on the tank with 4 MH lights in it. What do you all think could be the issue if not condensation?
Old 09-25-2010, 02:51 AM
bvlester

That is strange the temp difference could make some difference in water levels,the level may drop a bit when the water is cooler and rise when it gets hotter, from the expansion and contraction of the water. Other wise I would think some one is putting water in the sump from time to time.. The ATO should be able to be adjusted so it does not add too much water. What wattage are those MH's if they are 400watters then they may cause extra evaporation. What size of tank is it and what are the dimensions, a tank with a larger surface area will have more evaporation even if it is the same size as a tank with smaller surface area.

Bill
Old 09-25-2010, 03:06 AM

The Grizz will become famous soon enough

I don't think it is an evap problem or a temp problem simply because the water level would not rise on it's own and if the ATO is off where is the water coming from the raise the level. The temp seemed to maintain steady when we where there. I think it is a plumbing problem that is causing the issue.

8' - 165gal Reef
DIY LED's Build
2012 Nano Contest Winner
Febuary 2013 POTM Winner
300 gal + 60 gal Complete DIY Build

Last edited by The Grizz; 09-25-2010 at 03:19 AM.
Old 09-25-2010, 04:11 AM

Palmer is on a distinguished road

How big is the sump? Are you running a skimmer? Is the water level in the skimmer also changing?
Old 09-25-2010, 04:26 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

What kind of overflow? Is the level fluctuating in the overflow? What about the skimmer, is there one, etc. ?
Old 09-25-2010, 04:16 PM

othicx is on a distinguished road

The tank is a 650g and not to sure on the sump but i'm guessing a 70-90g sump. The tank is a hex with a center overflow. Yes there is a skimmer a bubble king 300 i think. As for overflow levels, I'm not really sure but i'll ask the owner to keep an eye on it.