Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 04-03-2006, 03:55 AM

hawaiiguy is on a distinguished road

I got a big 20kg bag from Totem Building Supplies here in Lethbridge (it's like Home Depot). The brand is called Graymont (on the bag it says: High Calcium hydrated lime type "N")
Old 04-03-2006, 05:48 AM

Buccaneer is on a distinguished road

Thanks ... have you done any testing of your tank parameters before and after dosing ?

“The most important decision you make is to be in a good mood.”
― Voltaire
Old 04-03-2006, 12:27 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

I think what you are going to find is commercial lime often contains impurities, e.g., silica, iron, alumina, and magnesia. If you can find a bag that has a guarenteed analysis your ok.

the stuff you are looking at looks like a left over hog pog of chemicals.. one concern I have is that Calcium carbide reacts with water, releasing acetylene. could get a lottle flamable around the tank

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 04-03-2006, 02:53 PM

BMW Rider is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiguy
I guess my excuse is that I'm finishing my biology undergrad right now and I've gone pretty heavy on the chemistry for the past 4 years (I could probably minor in it; haven't really checked) It's still fresh in my mind (shudder...)

I have been doing some reading at reefcentral and reefs.org and I've decided the mix I have is safe... I just dosed my tank with about 10mL of the stuff so we'll see what happens (so far, so good)...
Good on ya. I'm more of a hardware DIY guy. I'll stick to commercial additive products and leave the chemical witchcraft to those who can. Its nice to have someone on the forum though that may be able to help some of us less informed types with chemistry problems.

Ed
60 gallon winter tank for pond fish.
300 gallon pond with waterfall.
Old 04-03-2006, 04:19 PM

Assuming there is calcium carbide in the mix, I suppose acetylene would form. It seems unlikely to be an issue though... just based on its structure CaC2 is likely unstable and hard to form; there's no way that free Ca ions would react with organics in the tank to form it. The only way it could get into the tank is if it's in the dry mix already and I doubt that very much. The formation of calcium carbide requires a pure carbon source and LOTS of heat (CaC2 is an alkyne which means it has a triple bond in it, the formation of which requires lots of energy).

Other impurities were my biggest concern when I first started looking into this... I'm hoping there isn't much else in this mix besides the ingredient list So far (after 12 hrs) everything is dandy! All I have right now is a long tipped anemone and it's as happy as a clam. An article by Randy Holmes-Farley reassured me a bit about impurities though. He says that lime will react with most other metals like copper and precipitate them out.

Water parameters are fine right now. pH is about 8.3, specific gravity is about 1.024, nitrates are near 0. Unfortunately I don't have a Ca test kit right now... that would be the most useful right now I'm going to try to pick one up soon.
Old 04-04-2006, 05:50 AM

All right, so it's been over 24 hours and everything is still as it should be... I think I have a good mix!
Old 04-04-2006, 05:53 AM

Oh yeah, one other thing: the bag I have is 20kg and I'll only be using about a teaspoon or two with each dose!!! Anyone want some? For those in Calgary, I head up there periodically. I'll also be posting a couple of tanks in the for sale section soon so if you buy those, you can take some lime with you too
Old 04-04-2006, 07:46 AM

EmilyB is on a distinguished road

I usually leave experimentation to the experts. I'd never risk losing my tank occupants for a cheap solution....oh I think I've said this before... nevermind.
Old 04-04-2006, 07:57 AM

Reef_kid is on a distinguished road

check calcium hydroxide should be Ca(OH)2 you have calcium oxide down there and it at 95% ionization?? what are the % representing? mass?
its going to produce
Ca(OH)2 + H20 --- Ca2+ + H20 this is what you want!
but !! you have to realize that if you leave your kalc out it will react with CO2 in the air and will turn to CaCO3 and you dont want this because it ppt's out! its insoluble...

you dont actually have any magnesium hydroxide in there?
you may be thinking of magnesium oxide but this is such a small insignificant amount..

MgO + H20 ---> Mg(OH)2 milk of magnisum... solubility in H2O 0.0012 g in 100 g water

just do your stoick and see what the ratios come up with in comparison to your grams you use rather than teaspoon ect...
if the % is by mass.. you can calcualte the exact grams/mol or grams/l
and what the exact amount you will be putting in of each ,it looks like yoru not getting much magnesium out of this mix...
use a part per million conversion and again use stoic to see how much magnesium would be per gram... and look at avarage ppm in sea water that way you can see exactly how much you need to add. its kind of difficult to calculate with just average % of reactants.
hopefully your fish dont get diahrea from the milk of magnesium thtat is produced by the adition of MgO and H2O

sorry if i am not making sence ... to much chem today ... lab due tomorrow eheh...
cheers do some more research on the brand your using ..
i worrie about contamination of heavy metals and age.. due to the ppt of calcium carb ... if you notic a lot of settlement in the bottom of a jug of your solution .. its most likly the calcium carb.
Old 04-04-2006, 04:30 PM

Ahh labs... I've got a biochem lab due tomorrow too!! I know how it is

Anyways, I'll try working out the stoichiometry of the magnisium this weekend. Are you saying there could be too much magnesium in the mix? Does too much magnesium result in regular (as in diharea) fish?