Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 11-08-2014, 04:55 PM

DSlater is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildechild_01 View Post
I can't say 100% but my guess is that something else in your sump is acting as a ground for the tank, and that's awesome.
Just my observation here... But when I have had to troubleshoot electrical issues in the past I have found that induced voltage seldom gives much of a shock.
Like the red wire in a three conductor cable if it's isolated on each end will show a voltage on my volt tick because of the induced voltage. When I grab it with my bare fingers there is no shock because there is no actual power behind it.

Is the original poster able to tell us if the shock he receives is continuous or a one time hit? Might tell us something... A one time poke might lean more to induced, continuous would be voltage leak. I get a good continuous shock from the aluminum siding of my trailer when I plug it in with a 2 prong cord.

Other issues could be bad bond or neutral connections in the house or power bar wiring... really to many variables to troubleshoot over the internet. It did make me check my tank and I'm down to .1 or .2 volts with powerhead, skimmer pump, 2 submerged heaters, and a DC return pump.
Old 11-09-2014, 12:23 AM

GoFish is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSlater View Post
Is the original poster able to tell us if the shock he receives is continuous or a one time hit?
Its a continuous shock. The heater is fully submerged so maybe I'll raise the dial above the waterline, the skimmer is gonna have to stay where it is for a bit. Im not super worried about this anymore, i don't really like the tank anyway

I'll be taking the fish out tonight and putting them in the other tank. hopefully the clowns can find a powerhead or some random coral to host.

Then off to Mexico for 5 days I'll check in while away
Thanks again for the replies
Old 11-09-2014, 03:24 AM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

Have a great Holiday !!!

We're planning one ourselves
Old 11-09-2014, 03:53 AM

Wildechild_01 is on a distinguished road

+1 on the have a great trip looking at my forecast here wishing i was headed south