Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 02-23-2013, 05:39 PM

nerdz is on a distinguished road
Default DIY LED layout on a 20" cube???

I have 20" cube, so far I have a 20" heatsink, 12xRB, 8x XM-L NW, 2 x Blue , 6 x UV, 2x Red. 80 degree optics. 3 PWM drivers to be controlled by Reef Angel.

Have no idea what length to machine the heatsink down to. Also have no clue on LED mix and layout... My Biocube8 is evenly spaced, but has no optics and only 2 colors. No experience with a bunch of colors and optics?

To make it easier, I labeled pennies, ha ha!

I just randomly cobbled theses together... Would one big array cluster be okay, or two separate ones, (radion-like)

1 Large Arrray:

2x This array:
Old 02-23-2013, 05:46 PM

ckmullin is on a distinguished road

I might be doing something like this so I'll be watching your progress.
Old 02-23-2013, 05:50 PM

ScubaSteve is on a distinguished road

For the cube I would do one title packed array. If you have two arrays (ie. two light sources) you'll probably end up with colour separation and get that multicolor shadow disco effect. If it was a long tank, you'd need two clusters for the coverage but with a cube, you'll probably get enough spread from a single array. On my biocube is use 22 LEDs (granted many of them are 3-up stars) packed into a tight rectangular array similar in shape to a metal halide reflector. Works well.

I would also recommend adding some ocean coral white and true violet LEDs to that mix there. For me they took me LEDs from meh to awesome.
Old 02-23-2013, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve View Post
For the cube I would do one title packed array. If you have two arrays (ie. two light sources) you'll probably end up with colour separation and get that multicolor shadow disco effect. If it was a long tank, you'd need two clusters for the coverage but with a cube, you'll probably get enough spread from a single array. On my biocube is use 22 LEDs (granted many of them are 3-up stars) packed into a tight rectangular array similar in shape to a metal halide reflector. Works well.

I would also recommend adding some ocean coral white and true violet LEDs to that mix there. For me they took me LEDs from meh to awesome.
Thanks for the input, so are "ocean coral white" the 3-up kind? My "UV" are Violet UV 3W, I guess that varies from True Violet?

Thanks again
Old 02-23-2013, 06:32 PM

ScubaSteve is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdz View Post
Thanks for the input, so are "ocean coral white" the 3-up kind? My "UV" are Violet UV 3W, I guess that varies from True Violet?

Thanks again
Ah yes, missed the uv part. Same same.

The ocw are 3-ups from LED groupbuy. I use them more than my whites. They look great.
Old 02-24-2013, 03:16 AM

daplatapus is on a distinguished road

This is the layout I went on my 20 gallon cube. It works awesome but like scubasteve said, I do get just a teeny bit of light separation in the odd shadow produced by my live rock. You normally don't notice it but it is there if you look hard enough.
Old 02-24-2013, 03:13 PM

Reefer Rob is on a distinguished road

I think you will find it a bit too white with that ratio of white to blue. What ratio do you have over your Biocube? You should try it without the optics first. They rate them as 80 degree, but I found the beam a bit too tight. Much less shadowing without them.
Old 02-24-2013, 03:45 PM

Baldy is on a distinguished road

id recommend using ocean coral white instead of the red and blue emitters. together the OCW looks white to us but fills in a lot of spectrum lacking by the RB/NW combo. keep the RB and NW as close as possible. if you use the OCW, you could do 2 clusters without any color banding.

75g reef w/ 20g sump, 100lbs LR, Tunze 9006 skimmer, 3 part dosing, DIY 66 LED fixture, Reefleeper Lite
LED build here: http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/29498...h-mount-build/
Old 02-24-2013, 05:43 PM

daplatapus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefer Rob View Post
I think you will find it a bit too white with that ratio of white to blue. What ratio do you have over your Biocube? You should try it without the optics first. They rate them as 80 degree, but I found the beam a bit too tight. Much less shadowing without them.
I've got mine on a dim4 controller and I use that to colour mix. Each spectrum colour is on individual channels and 3 of those RB's are used only for moon lighting. And I am running no optics, although if I remember correctly the UV comes factory with optics pre-mounted.
Old 02-27-2013, 04:03 AM

Thanks for all the responses guys. I've been away from a "real computer", just a dying smart-phone...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefer Rob View Post
My cube is 8 royal blue and 4 Neutral White, (too many LEDs I know!), no optics. both on same dimable driver. It'd be nice to have ability to dim separately, but I'm happy enough with colour. Definitely not too blue, I'd say most would want more blue/higher K. As for the blueness of my next project we'll see?

Good idea to hold off gluing optics, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldy View Post
id recommend using ocean coral white instead of the red and blue emitters. together the OCW looks white to us but fills in a lot of spectrum lacking by the RB/NW combo. keep the RB and NW as close as possible. if you use the OCW, you could do 2 clusters without any color banding.
Thanks for input, I'm going to hold off on 3ups or OCW and try and use what I have. Can they only be driven to 500mA? I guess you'd need a separate driver too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by daplatapus View Post
I've got mine on a dim4 controller and I use that to colour mix. Each spectrum colour is on individual channels and 3 of those RB's are used only for moon lighting. And I am running no optics, although if I remember correctly the UV comes factory with optics pre-mounted
Ya, this point it'll only be 2 dimming channels for 3 drivers. So hopfully it'll be a decent look... My UVs were optic free.