Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 02-21-2013, 06:14 AM

mrhasan is on a distinguished road
Default Calcium and dKh dropping rapidly!

So I always do a 5 gallon WC every saturday and don't dose anything. But recently, my corals have kicked off rapid growth (sps; for some reason, my LPS, other than acans, don't grow!) and birdnests are growing like weed.

So on Saturday, I start with SG 1.026, Ca 410-420ppm, Alk 9dkH (don't measure Mg). But the dKh falls very rapidly (today, I read something between 5-6 with API) and the Ca is resting around 380. I have not seen any issue with any of the corals (other than two zoas: one closed up and one opens slightly; I never have any luck keeping zoa - don't know why!). Alongside, I don't get growth in my torch (been one headed for like 5+ months). Funny thing! My SPS are growing crazy (birdnests; montis; red planet) while LPS are like...naaaah I wont grow!

Advice please Should I start dosing? Or should I just keep up with the 5 gallon change since there is no ill affect on the corals?

You wouldn't want to see my tank. I don't use fancy equipment and I am a noob
Old 02-21-2013, 06:29 AM
Jedi Master Reefer

Wheelman76 is on a distinguished road

I would get a mag test and measure that , if your mag is low then you'll have a harder time keeping your cal and alk up.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:32 AM
Vendor

xenon is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to xenon

With limited corals, you can get away with water changes to maintain cal/alk/mag but there comes a time when corals consume faster than you can replenish with water changes so its time to start dosing.

It's much cheaper to dose what your corals consume, rather than doing bigger water changes.

Your water may be too clean for LPS. That is my problem also. You will need to target feed your LPS if you want them to grow.

Make sure you never let alk drop bellow 6.5dKH. That is when bad things happen to SPS. We keep our system stable @ 7.5dKH.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenon View Post
With limited corals, you can get away with water changes to maintain cal/alk/mag but there comes a time when corals consume faster than you can replenish with water changes so its time to start dosing.

It's much cheaper to dose what your corals consume, rather than doing bigger water changes.

Your water may be too clean for LPS. That is my problem also. You will need to target feed your LPS if you want them to grow.

Make sure you never let alk drop bellow 6.5dKH. That is when bad things happen to SPS. We keep our system stable @ 7.5dKH.
Well my tank holds 56 corals in 20 gallon water so don't know whether I should say its limited amount of coral

I did have a drop to 5dKh once (possibly for a week even! didn't check) but nothing bad happened (atleast not with SPS). No clue why so (although good for me haha); weird things happen with my tank.

I was planning to do my regular water change this saturday, monitor how things change over the course of next week, and take action accordingly perhaps?

Old 02-21-2013, 07:12 AM

RDNanoGuy is on a distinguished road

For such a small tank I would simply start dosing with a quality brand two part formula in the middle of the week. A set of large bottles should last quite awhile with stank that size.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:03 PM

Proteus is on a distinguished road

Buy a good product like aquavitro. They have online calculator to so do over dose. Make sure you stay on top of dosing as stability will help with your growth. I was told not to raise dkh more than 1.5 a day. And yes start checking mg. all three play a role for the other.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:24 PM

Spyd is on a distinguished road

I would dose 2 part. Some B-ionic or something like that would be good for a system like yours. The jugs would last a very long time. Try not to increase dkh more than 1 per day. I would definitely check Mg levels as well though as that definitely plays a factor with maintaining Cal & Alk levels.

As for the LPS, target feeding works best. Mysis and cyclopeeze are what I use. Feed about 15 minutes after lights out when all the tentacles are out. I would feed once every 3 days or so if you want some nice growth.
Old 02-21-2013, 02:02 PM

daplatapus is on a distinguished road

Like others have already mentioned, it's been my experience that I can't anything to sit right unless my Mg is in the 1400 - 1450 range. Now my Mg is the first thing I check before I even consider adjusting Ca or Alk.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:33 PM

Thanks for the info everyone

I really thought that I could get away with regular water change in such a small tank instead of any sort of dosing but seems like not a chance

I will get a Mg test kit today. Which one would you suggest?

Old 02-21-2013, 03:48 PM

Proteus is on a distinguished road

Red Sea mg is good.