Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 02-03-2013, 06:25 PM

Summit09 is on a distinguished road
Default Starting out

Im currently setting up my first reef tank(110g) and just had some questions.

-Are tank controllers really worth the money? I know they can control the lighting but the lights I have already come with preprogrammed settings. Are they still worth it for everything else?

-Does neptunes apex have wireless connectivity?

-Does digital aquatics still have all the programming and other little glitches that I find from older posts?

If anyone has any helpfull hints regarding someone's first tank it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-03-2013, 06:43 PM

Phil is on a distinguished road

Yes Neptune apex is wireless with the modular. Are they worth it I'd say yes here are a few things u can do.

#1 if your tank gets to hot it will turn off your lights.
2 - feed mode set to shut off pumps and power heads.
3- if your heater fails on your contorler will cut power to it
4- u can set up a fan to turn on or chiller when temp go up.
5- u can turn on and off anything from your cell or iPad
6- u can check on the tank when your not home threw your phone

Personally I think it's insurance at first u may not have much invested in coral and live stock but u will. Also they all have glitches personally I run apex on both my tanks.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:02 PM

Madmak is on a distinguished road

http://youtu.be/ovFDR3lSYeg

A good explanation of the value of a controller. I personally think that I would have spent nearly the same money on power bars, timers, etc. I wouldn't run a tank without one. I use an Apex as well.

Last edited by Madmak; 02-03-2013 at 07:07 PM.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:36 PM

magikof7 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to magikof7

I bought a Reefkeeper not too long ago when I got started in the hobby, I Wish I had spent the extra money and gone with Apex. I still have a ph controller in the packaging because I can't find any instructions on how to set it up or calibrate it. I ordered the double float switch package to go with it. You'd think a simple instruction telling you you have to mount the float switch on the bracket BEFORE you solder the wires would be included...DOH!

I can't get the temp probe calibrated to set it up and working properly. I have been having trouble with the desktop program to get everything running the way I want it.

It comes with a single piece of paper and it directs you to their forums. For the amount of Money they charge for their system there should be a manual with Proper instructions. There is one on their website, I downloaded it and printed it out....Think there is any step by step instructions for the probes?..Nope.
I shouldn't have to go searching their forums to figure out how to use their product.

Wow was that a soap box rant or what!? Guess I was holdin that in for awhile

I am really not happy with the reef keeper....Can ya tell?

One good thing I can say, I am happy I have the thing so I am not overloaded with power bars and timers. I think an Apex is in my near future.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:38 PM

Ken is on a distinguished road

Hi there, congratulation on your first reef tank, PATIENCE, and start with talking to many people that have reef tanks, keep it simple, donot rely on too much technolgy. Ken
Old 02-03-2013, 07:44 PM

Proteus is on a distinguished road

My little tank is run manually. With the exception of cutting out the heater I can't find a reason to spend the money on one. If I had a ca reactor then yes I would
Old 02-04-2013, 02:17 AM

intarsiabox is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by magikof7 View Post
I still have a ph controller in the packaging because I can't find any instructions on how to set it up or calibrate it.
It comes with a single piece of paper and it directs you to their forums. For the amount of Money they charge for their system there should be a manual with Proper instructions. There is one on their website, I downloaded it and printed it out....Think there is any step by step instructions for the probes?..Nope.
There are user manuals on the DA website. Not sure what you downloaded and printed out put there is two pages of step by step instructions on calibrating the PH and temperature probes in RKE User Guide that is on the web site. Pages 23-24 specifically. No need to go to the forum at all. I found the system to be very simple to use and got it on sale for really cheap awhile ago.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:20 AM
Vendor

xenon is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to xenon

Depending on the equipment you purchase, you might not need a controller.

Our system is fully automated and we don't use a dedicated controller.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:39 AM

intarsiabox is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summit09 View Post
Im currently setting up my first reef tank(110g) and just had some questions.

-Are tank controllers really worth the money? I know they can control the lighting but the lights I have already come with preprogrammed settings. Are they still worth it for everything else?
I ran my tanks for years without a controller. Then I bought one and had it controlling every piece of equipment on my tank. Lights and powerheads have their own controls built into them now but I still wouldn't go back to not using one. Perfect temperature control, tank info always available whether I'm home or not, one touch feed mode, one touch maintenance mode, etc. They are not essential but can make things easier.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:14 AM

e46er is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by intarsiabox View Post
I ran my tanks for years without a controller. Then I bought one and had it controlling every piece of equipment on my tank. Lights and powerheads have their own controls built into them now but I still wouldn't go back to not using one. Perfect temperature control, tank info always available whether I'm home or not, one touch feed mode, one touch maintenance mode, etc. They are not essential but can make things easier.
Agree 100%
I use a reef keeper I don't have wireless but it's not a big deal
I have the lights/heater/skimmer/return,CL,power heads and moonlights running thru it. Keeps perfect temp. The safety factor alone is worth the $$
I also found the reef keeper very easy to set up

Owner of Mountain Ridge Heating and Gas
Class A gas fitter, HVAC