Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 12-30-2012, 07:04 PM

iceman86 is on a distinguished road
Default random goby death

I bought a sleeper goby who looked healthy last week from a lfs and 3 days later it died. I have a perfectly healthy tank with a ton of corals from softies to sps. Tank has been up for 10 months, 35 gallon cube, 15 gallon sump, and all the neccesary equipment. and it has about 3" sand bed. I also have 2 clowns and a coral banded shrimp.

The goby was swimming around from the second I put him in after acclimating him for 45 minutes. The goby didn't just pick up sand with his mouth he would actually dig holes in the sand and under the rocks to the point that the rocks fell over. Could it be possible he disturbed the sand bed so much that something came up? Nothing else was harmed in the tank.

I also spotted the shrimp trying to nip at him a couple times every time he swam by the shrimps "hangout" could the shrimp be the culprit?

Any ideas?
Old 12-30-2012, 07:11 PM

intarsiabox is on a distinguished road

Sometimes the stress of being caught, shipping, new environment takes a few days to catch up to the fish. It unfortunetly happens no matter what people's efforts are. The shrimp was probably just trying to clean the fish. Mine do it to my fingers everytime I have to move something in the tank. Not sure if I should be insulted or not?
Old 12-30-2012, 08:00 PM

BlueTang<3 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman86 View Post
dig holes in the sand and under the rocks to the point that the rocks fell over.

Any ideas?
Is it possible he was injured in the rock slide

360 Reef Tank
Old 12-31-2012, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by intarsiabox View Post
Sometimes the stress of being caught, shipping, new environment takes a few days to catch up to the fish. It unfortunetly happens no matter what people's efforts are. The shrimp was probably just trying to clean the fish. Mine do it to my fingers everytime I have to move something in the tank. Not sure if I should be insulted or not?
Probably was stress cuz the store I got it from doesn't acclimate their fish. They just dump them straight into their tanks and it was a new shipment.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTang<3 View Post
Is it possible he was injured in the rock slide
After the rocks fell he was still swimming around like everything was fine. And still kept digging lol I bought him to just stir up the top layer of sand but he just liked digging big holes and laying in them.

I planned on giving him away because of his digging but he decided his fate....