Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 11-10-2012, 09:56 PM

paddyob is on a distinguished road
Default Hair algae ugh - what to do?

My yellow tang won't eat hair algae anymore. Trained on pellets.

I wanted a lawnmower blenny... But someone told me they may not touch it.

Thinking another tang. Kole maybe.

Ideas?

My 70 Gallon build:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=66478

My Mandarin Paradise:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=72762

I wonder... does anyone care enough to read signatures if you make them really small? I would not. I would probably moan and complain, read three words and swear once or twice. But since you made it this far, please rate my builds.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:06 PM

Carandiru is on a distinguished road

Tackle your phosphates, you can use a phosphate remover like RowaPhos or some other General GFO. Hair algae loves phosphates and in your case go after the cause of them. Manually picking them out and removing from tank works good but you need to reduce phosphates so they don't grow back.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:06 PM

Proteus is on a distinguished road

Is a sea hare out of the question for you
Old 11-11-2012, 03:26 PM

stellarfly is on a distinguished road
Default Hair algea

Adding things like sea hares, and tangs and blennies is almost always a reactive step to a much bigger issue. Algae problems, like mentioned before are almost always an input issue. Just cause a creature can eat it faster than the algae can appear is not a solution. Find the root of the problem such as managing your inputs. Make sure to rinse food before putting it in the tank. Feeding corals with a lot of stuff can be a recipe for a trashed tank as well.
Also, is your skimmer under rated for your tank? clean the skimmer cup every 3-4 days. Running GFO (or something like it). Also, remember that fixing algae issues is gonna take time. Another thing that people over look is things like rock work. Is the aquascaping as open as possible? preventing detritus from building up helps as well. Last piece of advice is to be patient. Stick to it and stay the course. eventually u will win the war on algae.

Hope that helps
Old 11-11-2012, 03:31 PM

I agree with above post. But it's nice to be rid of the algea while fixing the problem
Old 11-11-2012, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellarfly View Post
Adding things like sea hares, and tangs and blennies is almost always a reactive step to a much bigger issue. Algae problems, like mentioned before are almost always an input issue. Just cause a creature can eat it faster than the algae can appear is not a solution. Find the root of the problem such as managing your inputs. Make sure to rinse food before putting it in the tank. Feeding corals with a lot of stuff can be a recipe for a trashed tank as well.
Also, is your skimmer under rated for your tank? clean the skimmer cup every 3-4 days. Running GFO (or something like it). Also, remember that fixing algae issues is gonna take time. Another thing that people over look is things like rock work. Is the aquascaping as open as possible? preventing detritus from building up helps as well. Last piece of advice is to be patient. Stick to it and stay the course. eventually u will win the war on algae.

Hope that helps

Feeding is not the issue. NLS Pellets only. On an auto timer. Small feedings. Corals get fed once every 3-4 weeks max these days.

When testing... no detectable PO4.

Its just on the back glass where its hard to reach and its something I want a CUC item to help with.

Thanks

My 70 Gallon build:

My Mandarin Paradise:

I wonder... does anyone care enough to read signatures if you make them really small? I would not. I would probably moan and complain, read three words and swear once or twice. But since you made it this far, please rate my builds.
Old 11-11-2012, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus99 View Post
Is a sea hare out of the question for you
The potential to crash my tank is something I avoid. I heard they can go and take your whole tank.

I have not done nearly the research necessary to even consider one. At this point anyhow.

My 70 Gallon build:

My Mandarin Paradise:

Old 11-11-2012, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carandiru View Post
Tackle your phosphates, you can use a phosphate remover like RowaPhos or some other General GFO. Hair algae loves phosphates and in your case go after the cause of them. Manually picking them out and removing from tank works good but you need to reduce phosphates so they don't grow back.
No detectable PO4. I have been running bio pellets which are supposed to help. Used them the last 18 mths and only recently algae issues.

My 70 Gallon build:

My Mandarin Paradise:

Old 11-11-2012, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddyob View Post
The potential to crash my tank is something I avoid. I heard they can go and take your whole tank.

I have not done nearly the research necessary to even consider one. At this point anyhow.
Yeah a sea hare can release a purple ink when disturbed. And this ink is toxic to a closed system. Though. A lettuce nudi will not crash a tank. At worst if shredded by powerhead you'll have 30 babies
Old 11-11-2012, 06:41 PM

NIVLEM09 is on a distinguished road

astrea,turbo snails are good algae grazers