Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 10-18-2012, 10:42 PM

iceman86 is on a distinguished road
Default Algae is driving me nuts!!!

My tank is 6 months old and i have been battling this algae for at least 3 maybe 4 months. i have a 35 gallon cube with a 10 gallon sump. aqua c remora skimmer skimming wet and filling up container at least 2 times per day. I also threw in a phosban reactor a couple months ago and that didnt make a difference either. My only livestock is 2 clown fish and my CUC. my lighting is a diy 120watts L.E.D. system and is on for 10hours per day. I also get algae on my glass too. if i leave it on the glass for a few days i have to scrape it off because the mag float will get stuck.

water tests are done with api kit

Ammonia-0
Nitrite-0
Nitrates-0
Phosphates-closer to zero (hard to tell)
calcium-460
kh-9
ph-8.2
temp-79

water is reverse osmosis and tested with tds meter reading 0. I do weekly water changes and vacuum the substrate every 2-3 weeks. I feed very little too.

Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-18-2012, 10:53 PM

coolhandgoose is on a distinguished road

Is it on the rocks as well? Check out my post "what else can I do" to see if it looks similar.

Is it a snotty looking brown algae with bubbles?
Old 10-18-2012, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolhandgoose View Post
Is it on the rocks as well? Check out my post "what else can I do" to see if it looks similar.

Is it a snotty looking brown algae with bubbles?
these is a little on the rock but not much. its mostly on the sand and there are a few bubbles in some spots but not many at all and they sit on top of the algae as opposed to coming out of the algae like dinos. Its not snotty but fuzzy. I vacuum it out and a couple days later its back

Last edited by iceman86; 10-18-2012 at 10:59 PM.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:01 PM

jagermaier is on a distinguished road

Looks like diatom algae, that's pretty common in new tanks...and yes 6 months is still considered new...
Old 10-18-2012, 11:05 PM

Rogue951 is on a distinguished road

you're tank's still new. give it time to settle in.
all the nutrients and such have to balance out.

Adjust the skimmer to skim dry. no way it should be skimming 2 cups a day.
What do you have for a CUC? I find small hermits to be great for cleaning algae.
I know everyone says to be cautious but I have a few electric blues. (not the regular blue legged variety) and theyre pretty good about sticking to fish food or algae.

Ring cowries I find are excellent for softer algae species. 5 cleaned out my 30 gallon sump in a few days.

Turbo snails as well are good but knock things over.
I have a few Cerith snails and some Tonga Nassarius snails to help with stirring the sand bed and keeping it clean. Maybe consider a few of those as well instead of vacuuming.

Do you grow chaeto in the sump? Might want to really consider it.
When I first got my chaeto it grew like weed. Lately it's slowed down, but at the same time the algae in the tank is also extremely slow in glowing and not spreading at all.

Last edited by Rogue951; 10-18-2012 at 11:07 PM.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue951 View Post
you're tank's still new. give it time to settle in.
all the nutrients and such have to balance out.

Adjust the skimmer to skim dry. no way it should be skimming 2 cups a day.
What do you have for a CUC? I find small hermits to be great for cleaning algae.
I know everyone says to be cautious but I have a few electric blues. (not the regular blue legged variety) and theyre pretty good about sticking to fish food or algae.

Ring cowries I find are excellent for softer algae species. 5 cleaned out my 30 gallon sump in a few days.

Turbo snails as well are good but knock things over.
I have a few Cerith snails and some Tonga Nassarius snails to help with stirring the sand bed and keeping it clean. Maybe consider a few of those as well instead of vacuuming.

Do you grow chaeto in the sump? Might want to really consider it.
When I first got my chaeto it grew like weed. Lately it's slowed down, but at the same time the algae in the tank is also extremely slow in glowing and not spreading at all.

i initially had the skimmer dialed in for dry skimming but i thought maybe i had too many nutrients so i adjusted it to pull out more. for a clean up crew i have about 10 crabs 1 being blue legged and 4-5 snails not sure what kind, i brought them home from my trip to Jamaica I do plan on getting some chaeto going soon to help.

thanks
Old 10-19-2012, 02:13 AM

camaro7019 is on a distinguished road

cut your lights down to 8 hours a day, i had this problem when my tank was "new" cut the lights down and the algae went away in a week or 2 is your tank near a window? i find that natural sunlight likes to cause algae problems aswell
Old 10-19-2012, 02:38 AM

cyberdude47 is on a distinguished road

Read up and including my thread on algaefix. I'm experimenting with it as we speak with positive results
Old 10-19-2012, 04:49 AM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman86 View Post
i initially had the skimmer dialed in for dry skimming but i thought maybe i had too many nutrients so i adjusted it to pull out more. for a clean up crew i have about 10 crabs 1 being blue legged and 4-5 snails not sure what kind, i brought them home from my trip to Jamaica I do plan on getting some chaeto going soon to help.

thanks

i would also go to a dry skim , clean your skimmer cup once a week or if your skimmers a champ like mine maybe every few days lol

if your cup has to be emptied twice a day then its not doing its job and your losing that much saltwater as well.
Old 10-19-2012, 04:50 AM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

whats in your reactor and how much??