Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 09-25-2012, 07:46 PM

fishyfolks is on a distinguished road
Default please...may you help me identify this algae??

Hi everyone,

In the 10 or more years I've been reefing, I've never really had an algae bloom or problem like this, so I'm not really sure what I'm dealing with here. All of my beautiful coralline covered rocks are browny, green and 'furry' Even my snails and crabs have algae on them. I now need a clean up crew FOR my clean up crew. Haha. Its all over the glass, power heads, the algae scraper.....Basically, its EVERYWHERE.

Background info:

Its a 5 year established tank that I just moved 4 months ago
nitrite and ammonia 0 (or as close to it a possible)
phosphate .5
nitrate 20-40
temp 79
salinity .025
Good circulation with no stagnant areas
Tank looked awesome up until 3 weeks ago when i noticed high nitrates and performed a 40 percent water change
Euroreef skimmer on a very wet skim at the moment

I'm trying to make this post as short as possible so that it contains only relevant info, but PLEASE let me know if there is anything else that would be helpful.

Sorry the pictures are so bad. I took them with my phone. If better quality pics a required, I can use my bf's camera.

Thanks guys

175 Gallon Tank, 33 Gallon Sump, 2 x AI COLOR SOL, Leather corals, colts corals, several brain corals, misc frogspawn, misc sps corals, purple tang, yellow tang, naso tang, hippo tang, 4 clown fish, 5 clams and many many inverts
Old 09-25-2012, 08:02 PM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

at first glance i would say cyano but i would look into dinos as well as im thinking it could be that.

cyano bacteria i imagine you would have seen in the 10 yrs of reefing , but dinos is very similiar to cyano in looks but is much harder to get rid of. dinos is usually a mix of colors and alot of bubbles hanging on strings.

cyano grows more in sheets and has bubbles attached to the sheets.

dinos = dinoflagellates
Old 09-25-2012, 08:05 PM
R.I.P.

ok after reading which i should have done first lol this could be caused by the move you did, with the high number of nitrates and high phos i would imagine it is the cause .

are you running anything for phosphates??

nitrates arnt horrible but could come down some for sure

depending on what your livestock is a blackout could get you a quick fix while you attack nutrients
Old 09-25-2012, 08:07 PM

thanks for the quick reply!

Out of panic, I looked at a lot of dino pics and descriptions, but it doesn't seem to be PRODUCING o2, rather the algae appears to be 'catching' bubbles that are produced in the water when i turn my skimmer up or down quickly. Any idea if there is a definitive way to determine? I was thinkin cyano as well.....I've just never seen it EVERYWHERE......

thanks again
175 Gallon Tank, 33 Gallon Sump, 2 x AI COLOR SOL, Leather corals, colts corals, several brain corals, misc frogspawn, misc sps corals, purple tang, yellow tang, naso tang, hippo tang, 4 clown fish, 5 clams and many many inverts
Old 09-25-2012, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefwars View Post
ok after reading which i should have done first lol this could be caused by the move you did, with the high number of nitrates and high phos i would imagine it is the cause .

are you running anything for phosphates??

nitrates arnt horrible but could come down some for sure

depending on what your livestock is a blackout could get you a quick fix while you attack nutrients

Yeah, common sense tells me its the move too. Due to the corals I have, a black out isnt favorable, but I will look into a phosphate remover. thank you
Old 09-25-2012, 08:14 PM
R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishyfolks View Post
thanks for the quick reply!

Out of panic, I looked at a lot of dino pics and descriptions, but it doesn't seem to be PRODUCING o2, rather the algae appears to be 'catching' bubbles that are produced in the water when i turn my skimmer up or down quickly. Any idea if there is a definitive way to determine? I was thinkin cyano as well.....I've just never seen it EVERYWHERE......

thanks again
the only way to my knowlege to tell for sure is under microscope, im not 100% sure if thats true or not, but they are def hard to distinguish between the two of them.

i do know a blackout will get rid of it, if its a nutrient issue it will return.

if i were in your shoes before i went with cyano chemical treatments i would add a large amount of gfo in a reactor, do a large 30% + water change and then do a 3 day black out with the tank completely covered blocking out all lights.

the fact that this all happened at once so fast leads one to believe there is a single cause....could be something as silly as lights or could be the move its self....either way you want to get the algae gone so you can treat the tank for nutrients or whatever else is the cause
Old 09-25-2012, 08:16 PM
R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishyfolks View Post
Yeah, common sense tells me its the move too. Due to the corals I have, a black out isnt favorable, but I will look into a phosphate remover. thank you

you could look innto a product called phosdown or just add some gfo in a reactor, pull the new gfo after a week or 2 then add new gfo , this will knock down alot of your phos and the new gfo will keep it knocked down

good luck
Old 09-26-2012, 01:43 AM

Reef Puffer is on a distinguished road

I think dinos kill snails? Maybe im way wrong? Way to much crap to remember.....
Old 09-26-2012, 01:56 AM
Vendor

BlueWorldAquatic is on a distinguished road

looks like the start or "red turf algae"

Store Location

Twitter

Facebook
Old 09-26-2012, 02:06 AM

toytech is on a distinguished road

my phosphates have been hovering from .05 and 0 and my algea has never grown so fast , it only takes a little and BOOM green snowstorm . Ive knocked it back to near 0 and its slowing down .