Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 04-16-2004, 04:49 PM

mr_alberta is on a distinguished road
Default Fish Recommendation

Hey everyone,

I have a 37G cube (24½ x 18½ x 21 ½) with a pair of false percs and a yellow watchman goby. I would like to add another fish that is reef safe and that will hopefully live happily in the tank with the current inhabitants.

Any suggestions? Something that will make people go, "hey, what is that?!" would be good. I would prefer a fish that swims more than a perching style of fish (like Bicolor Blennies) or fish that just stay in one spot (like cardinals).

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 04-16-2004, 05:33 PM

Gujustud is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Gujustud Send a message via MSN to Gujustud
Default Re: Fish Recommendation

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy
Hey everyone,

I have a 37G cube (24½ x 18½ x 21 ½) with a pair of false percs and a yellow watchman goby. I would like to add another fish that is reef safe and that will hopefully live happily in the tank with the current inhabitants.

Any suggestions? Something that will make people go, "hey, what is that?!" would be good. I would prefer a fish that swims more than a perching style of fish (like Bicolor Blennies) or fish that just stay in one spot (like cardinals).

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Tag. I'm in the same boat as you (cept I've got a clown goby, and green mandarin with 2 percs). I know what you mean about the "perching style of fish". Need something that swims around!
Old 04-16-2004, 05:41 PM

dirtyreefer is on a distinguished road

what about a tang?
Old 04-16-2004, 06:26 PM

Quinn is on a distinguished road

Too small for a tang. How about Centropyge argi, a dwarf angel that stays small even for a Centropyge sp. Someone else might be able to speak to the basslets, dottybacks, and pseudochromis. The royal gramma certainly comes to mind.

Man, n. ...His chief occupation is extermination of other animals and his own species, which, however, multiplies with such insistent rapidity as to infest the whole habitable earth, and Canada. - A. Bierce, Devil's Dictionary, 1906
Old 04-16-2004, 06:26 PM

DBM is on a distinguished road

I'm a big fan of firefish, peaceful, easy to care for, and attractive. Will stay small enough for your tank.
Old 04-16-2004, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teevee
Too small for a tang. How about Centropyge argi, a dwarf angel that stays small even for a Centropyge sp. Someone else might be able to speak to the basslets, dottybacks, and pseudochromis. The royal gramma certainly comes to mind.
I like the Cherub Angel, but I've never seen one locally. I was also thinking about a Coral Beauty, but I'm worried about it nipping at my small LPS frags and softies.
Old 04-16-2004, 08:00 PM

Gujustud is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Gujustud Send a message via MSN to Gujustud

Yup, tang is on the top of my list. Too bad I found out about the tang police after getting my 38g. Thats why my stand is built for a 48 long (for future bigger tank), which should be long enough for at least one tang, once I get my bigger tank.

Newguy: lol I was also thinking about the Coral Beauty. There is a awesome one at finomenal that I keep my eye's on, but the coral eating part is not what I like.
Old 04-16-2004, 08:16 PM

I expect AI can obtain a C. argi if you let them know you're looking for one. J&L also lists them. Regarding dwarfs eating coral, I've had excellent luck with my C. potteri. No problems at all, even when I had LPS. Might be a different story with clams though.

Man, n. ...His chief occupation is extermination of other animals and his own species, which, however, multiplies with such insistent rapidity as to infest the whole habitable earth, and Canada. - A. Bierce, Devil's Dictionary, 1906
Old 04-16-2004, 08:42 PM

Hey Quinn,

Is that a hard fish to take care of? Live Aquaria lists it as
"expert only," so I'm wondering if it has special requirements?
Old 04-16-2004, 09:24 PM

The concern as I understand it is that it is difficult to have them accept foods in captivity. Perhaps someone with experience in the trade could speak up (James?), but I expect it's just another one of those fish that really shouldn't be imported because so many die on the way to the stores. As with all my fish, I made sure this one was eating at the LFS, although I must admit, at the time I wasn't as aware of the difficulties involved in keeping the species as I am now. Regardless, mine has done very well.