Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > DIY

Old 07-31-2012, 02:12 PM

daplatapus is on a distinguished road
Default Request for pics/ideas for sump

So I got a new tank I'm going to use for a new sump. It measure 60"L X 24"H X 18" D. I'm switching out the one I have now for this one for several reasons.
1 - more water volume is never a bad thing
2 - there are things I did wrong with the one I'm running and I want to change them but pretty hard to do with a running system
3 - well, I like to tinker

The main problem I have with the one I'm running now is I hate the way my filter socks sit and I've pretty much stopped using them because of it. This is basically my system now:

I'm running a full herbie in both my main 77 Gal DT and remote 20 gal cube (drain plumbing for cube not shown as it was added after this photo) So I have 4 lines coming back into my sump and draining directly into my filter socks. Only problem is when I go to switch out the socks I have to drop the sock rim below the water level in the sump and under the drain lines running at full siphon and end up spilling 50% of the detritus and crud in the socks back into the sump.
I also screwed up the baffles as you can see. My first baffle is right to the bottom and the second baffle is 1" up. So the water goes over the first and under the second. While it actually works ok, from the reading I've been doing it's better to be able to skim your surface rather than have it flow over a weir. So I want to change that too.
What I'm looking for is ideas/pics on how to have your drain lines in the skimmer section, or I guess they can be in a separate section altogether, and that chamber flows over a plate with 3-4 filter socks in it which can just be removed by lifting straight out.
Believe it or not I could only find 1 or 2 pics of that with google searching and even then I found it hard to follow the water flow of how that would work.
Thanks in advance!
Old 08-01-2012, 04:44 PM

msjboy is on a distinguished road

Try google again but after using your keyword search ( eg: cube sump), click the IMAGES instead of the worded links... you will see lotsa neat sump designs and simply click the image that links to a certain page it originated from... also try other keywords

Also, check this current thread :

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/inde...owtopic=286297

I also assume you have looked at the various sump designs found at www.melevsreef.com?

regs

msjbou
Old 08-01-2012, 09:49 PM

Nizzmo is on a distinguished road

Is your sump in your basement and tank on the first floor? If so that's so rad.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:21 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

I got a few pictures saved online from back in the day. Most won't fit your application directly but I'm posting what I got in hopes others might find them useful. If I find more I'll post them but I know I didn't keep that many.

Old 08-01-2012, 10:31 PM

Found a few more

Personal favorite

Last edited by sphelps; 08-01-2012 at 10:35 PM.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:38 PM

This one was pretty unique.

Old 08-01-2012, 10:57 PM

ScubaSteve is on a distinguished road

A few more?
Old 08-01-2012, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve View Post
A few more?
I wish I took pictures of everything I built but I didn't, some stuff was really crazy.
Old 08-01-2012, 11:55 PM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

My sump in it's current state

Water enters behind the skimmer, overflows through the socks, under the baffle, past the heaters, and over the last baffle ( under center support ) into the return area

Chaeto tank drains to return section

Reactors and chiller/UV go back to skimmer section to be re-filtered
Old 08-02-2012, 03:47 AM

daplatapus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nizzmo View Post
Is your sump in your basement and tank on the first floor? If so that's so rad.
Yeah, it's pretty cool. A bit more expensive for return pumps but way cleaner and quieter. All plusses if your married to someone who isn't as enthusiastic about your hobby as you are :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by msjboy View Post
Also, check this current thread :

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/inde...owtopic=286297

I also assume you have looked at the various sump designs found at www.melevsreef.com?

regs

msjbou

Yup, I've had Melev's reef bookmarked for almost a year Thanks for the link I'll look through it.

Sphelps:
the 8th pic/sump down is exactly what I'm looking for, the one with the 4 filter sock holes/holder. Does that baffle from the skimmer section sit up off the bottom and allow flow under it as well as over?

Greg: Yeah, that's what I want to do too. Nice job getting all that in there by the way
So your first baffle is siliconed at the bottom? All the flow has to go over the first baffle, through your filter socks, under the second baffle and over the 3rd, right?

I was trying to figure a way to get the main flow under the first baffle for better surface skimming but that may not be possible I guess with this configuration.