Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 05-15-2012, 04:25 PM

Gizmoh is on a distinguished road
Default New Tank, all the toys looking for everyone's input!

Hey Guys and Gals!

I am currently starting the planning stage of my new 48x30x20 custom build tank! I am looking for input of all shapes and forms! What kind of toy brands you use for pskimmers pumps power heads reactors! I am also looking for stocking ideas, currently ideas I am toying with are a Midas Gobie ( I would like two if I can get a male and a female ) and a trio of Ventrallis Anthias. Any ideas are welcome. I will also be using the Neptune Apex Controller system, which is a first for me, so tips here would be awesome. Finally has anyone used the Genisis systems? I would like some feedback on that as well! Sorry for cramming this all into one thread, just looking to generate some excitement!

Also had read an article where they highlighted a tank with the same specs housing a yellow, purple and Naso tang happily, interesting.

Thanks everyone in advance for your awesomeness!
Old 05-15-2012, 06:24 PM

ScubaSteve is on a distinguished road

Welcome to canreef! And good by to your wallet in this planning stage

In terms of fish, if you can find a pair of midas bennies already paired, that's a great idea. But since it's nearly impossible to sex them, trying to pair them on your own would end in disaster. You'd have to look long and hard for a pair.

As for ventralis anthias... Unless you are very experience with anthias I would highly recommend staying away from these guys until you're ready. Normally I encourage people to try new fish and ideas but this is one fish this is a real challenge. First, they're incredibly expensive. Second, they're a deep water fish and often suffer from decompression issues, so they don't last long. Third, because they're a deep water fish they like dark, deep water style tanks. Most deep water anthias can be acclimated to brighter tanks, this one, however, doesn't acclimate as readily and will be stressed. Finally, they ar a finicky eater in every sense of the word... That is if you even get them to take a nibble.

For less troublesome but equally beautiful anthias, check out the Pseudanthias resplendens, Pseudanthias parvirostris, Nemanthias carberryi, pseudanthias evansi, pseudanthias Lori and Pseudanthias bartlettorum. Because of the size of your tank you may be able to keep a small schooling harem of anthias. I would recommend the Carberryi, Evansi or resplendens for this as they're most peaceful. Bartletts are hardy as heck but in a harem they may all try to kill each other to reach the top of the pecking order (bartletts have a propensity to change into males and challenge the top male). Something interesting to note is that Midas blennies will school with the anthias species I mentioned. If you want a fish a bit more challenging with similar behavior to the ventralis, look at the Fathead/Sunburst Anthias.

As for tangs, you could probably keep the yellow and the purple but stay away from the nasos. They're a big fish that only keepgetting bigger and bigger. They need length more than just volume. Be careful mentioning the Tangword arou d these parts.

One thing you didn't mention is the style of tank: fish only? Soft corals? Lps? SPS? Your equipment requirements will change depending on the livestock you are planning for
Old 05-15-2012, 06:31 PM

Thank you Scuba Steve for this excellent information, and ya I have already kissed my wallet goodbye lol I am hoping to do an sps dominated tank as my current system is Los/softy. What do you think of a powder brown and a purple!? Thanks again! And ya on the Anthias I have been doing some reading on the Anya's primers on reef central and will be looking into this further before any final decisions are made. Also a big angel fan but worried about nipping.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:34 PM

Bblinks is on a distinguished road

Very nice set up you are planning to have, I love the deep demension tanks. It's gonna open so much aquascaping posibilties that a narrow tank just can't match.

As far as equipment goes I made more mistakes on cheaper under rated stuff that I can count so please don't waste any money on cheap stuff, you will end up replacing it in the very near future anyways.

For me a quality skimmer is on the top of the list, it is the beating heart of mine entire system. I have a BBK supermarin 250 and I just love it. I went from coralife to hydor to vertex to bbk mini and finally arriving at the current model. If I would've just went to my current model now I would've saved couple of thousands of dollars.

Once the skimmer is picked then lighting and water movement, Led is the future... New models almost arrive daily but this is where it gets tricky. I have AI sols and they do wonders on my tank, but they are not "full spectrum". I would wait for the newer models to come out before making any purchases.

I use Tunze 6105 for water movement due there reliabilty and low noise factor. It is a bit unsightful to have a largerer power head in the tank but I rather see the power head then to hear it. It also comes with 2 different gates for wide or narrow flow.

Apex controller has a really tough instruction booklet to understand, well not as bad as profilux but still bad. There is an unofficial guide online you can get and it explains everything in details which I highly recommand you to have a look.

Live stock is totally up to you, I love sps for corals, wrasses and tangs for fishes. I think you can keep some tangs but keep it to a few smaller sizes ones like yellow or purple or maybe a powder brown. Once those tangs starts to grow, they can become waste stations. I have a 6 inch naso tang that has a lot more to grow and the waste it produces is equivalent to 10 or more wrasses. In the recent month I started to really get into wrasses, I swear once you get in you just can't get out. Amazing colors and ample amount of choices.

Anyways looking forward for the build. Good luck and have fun!

300DD - 140DD

TOTM Fall 2013
Old 05-15-2012, 06:41 PM

ScubaSteve is on a distinguished road

If you like SPS and angels, take a look at John Coppelino's (Copps) tank.http://vimeo.com/13564370

He's been TOTM over at Reef Central and number of times, so go over there for more info on his tanks.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:56 PM

Wow! What a tank, that's a beauty! And thanks bblinks for all the input. What do you think of the octopus skimmers? I was thinking of going that way with the ecotech pumps, little fish phosban reactor, and I am not sure if I am going to do calcium reactor or dosing yet. I was thinking of going with 10xT5 as I don't have a lot of clearance over the tank for the lights to sit above the tank, how far above the water level do most LEDs need to be?

O and I really need a good quite return internal or external any input there? My Mag is really loud
Old 05-15-2012, 09:28 PM

Tracey2 is on a distinguished road

I love copps tanks but your video won't load for me.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:17 PM

Bblinks is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmoh View Post
Wow! What a tank, that's a beauty! And thanks bblinks for all the input. What do you think of the octopus skimmers?
I have never used an octopus skimmer so I can't really comment on it, I think bulkreefsupply sells them, maybe check out the reviews and go from there. I am still leaning towards either a vertex cone 250 or bbk mini 200 or supermarin 200 depend on your funds.
I was thinking of going that way with the ecotech pumps,
Personally I like the ecotech's design and functionality but that's where it ends. Compare to my Tunzes they are just so abnoxiously loud I just can't take it. I went with a herbie overflow just so I can keep the decibel level to a mininum(my tank is in my basement where we hang out the most)
little fish phosban reactor,
I have used 2 little fishes reactor but if you want a quality reactor, vertex is the way to go. very similar designs, both with screw on top that I like but tlf doesn't have the best built quailty. I also have 3 nextreef reactor which are pretty good except for the thumb screws. I just hate it.

and I am not sure if I am going to do calcium reactor or dosing yet.
This is really personal perferences. Larger system like mine, a calcium reactor is so much easier IMO then dosing, I dosed in my 210 but after a while I got sick of mixing and filling the jugs of chemicals. My theory is the simple and lazy approach, the easier the task means more chances for me to do it. I use Vertex rx6 duo and I love it.
I was thinking of going with 10xT5 as I don't have a lot of clearance over the tank for the lights to sit above the tank, how far above the water level do most LEDs need to be?
I like T5's so 10 X T5 will be enough to grow anything at 20" but LED's are just so cool. As for clarence on LED's there is nothing set in stone, it all depends on wether or not you mind the spot light effect. You can always use lens to focus or spread.
O and I really need a good quite return internal or external any input there? My Mag is really loud
Ehiem 1262 or Tunze silence pro(expensive but worth it)

300DD - 140DD

TOTM Fall 2013
Old 05-16-2012, 08:47 PM

Thanks again bblinks, I am liking the looks of the vertex equipment, as I have never used a media reactor before, can I run carbon and a phosphate absorbing media in the same reactor? Like the looks of the tunze silence pro, prob going that route, any input on if it better as an internal or external? I like the looks of the vertex calc reactor as well, are you happy with all the parts as a whole? And just curious as to why you recommend a skimmer for up to 300 gallons for a 125, just bigger is better? Or is it higher quality then there smaller ones? All and all I love the input and I almost have the equipment list done I think! Thanks again to all!
Old 05-16-2012, 08:48 PM

Oh and do you use a Kalk reactor with your ATO?