Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 11-03-2011, 06:07 PM

ScubaSteve is on a distinguished road
Default Weigh in with your experiences with biopellets or vodka dosing

With my new system up and running now (albeit in sore state after the crash that followed the transfer ) I am wanting to start implementing all of the features that I have always wished were on my tank. One thing I have always wanted to do was carbon dosing of some sort, be it biopellets or vodka dosing.

I typically keep the system heavily stocked with corals (I will be shooting for this again once the tank turns around) and I like to feed on the heavier side as this helps me get some awesome growth out of the corals. However, this has had me doing big weekly water changes for the past two years and I'm tired of it. I'd like to have a system where I can feed a bit on the heavy side without having to worry about water quality as much. I'd love to use a macro refugium and go au natural but this isn't in the cards for me because of space limitations. So, enter carbon dosing...

I'd really like to give this a try. I've done my homework, I know what I'm doing and I've narrowed it down to dosing MB7 and vodka or swapping my Phosban reactor over to biopellets. I've been reading good and bad things for both (I think the bad comes mostly from people underfeeding) and can't quite decide which route is the best way to go. I've eliminated zeovit for a few reasons but the biggest being cost (I be a poor grad student).

I was wondering if anyone can weigh in with their experience with either method? I'd love to hear your stories!
Old 11-03-2011, 06:38 PM
Banned

spawn is on a distinguished road

IME vodka has worked effectively for me. I followed the directions on this site
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-08/nftt/index.php
Old 11-03-2011, 08:01 PM

TimT is on a distinguished road

Since you said your a "poor grad student" just use the Vodka Sugar Vinegar method minus the vodka. So use 750ml RO water, 3tbsp white sugar and 175ml plain white vinegar. Go slow and gradually increase the dosage. I use this method myself for nitrates and then I use the Foz Down to eliminate the Phosphates.

I will be switching from Rogers white sugar as it is made from GMO Round Up Ready Sugar Beets.

Cheers,
Tim
Old 11-04-2011, 07:26 AM

ScubaSteve is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys, VSV is sort of the way I have been leaning as I believe in the idea of multiple carbon sources to avoid creating a bacterial monoculture, but I really like the idea of having the biopellets basically run themselves. When the PhD gets busy, maintenance can slide a little somI want to make some things a bit more automated.

Tim, if I used VSV, how much vodka would you add to that recipe you have there? Would I follow the same dozing scheme as vodka or do I have to wing it, go slow and just feel it out (by which I mean test kit)?
Old 11-04-2011, 02:22 PM

Reef Pilot is on a distinguished road

Well, am still pretty early to have good meaningful results, but am trying the Vertex UF-20 reactor with the Vertex Pro-Bio Pellets. Started a couple months ago, but ramped up very slowly with small additions. Just yesterday, I am now finally up to the maximum recommended bio pellets in my reactor.

For me, it is as much an experiment as anything. I had very high nitrates in my long running, very mature, tank, and wanted to see if I can bring them down, without taking out all my sand and live rock to clean them, and resetting the entire tank. I have a heavy bio load, as I feed my fish about 4 times a day, although small portions.

The nitrates were as high as 100, yes, very high, and are now down to about 40. Amazingly, my corals (no fancy or delicate ones) all seem to be doing well, and fish are active and healthy.

Probably because I ramped up slowly, I did not have any cyano issues or initial tank cloudiness that some others have reported. I did change my skimmer pump, which may have been my big problem all along. It was only pulling about a cup of skimmate a week before, at best. Now I get that everyday, and more, if I don't dial down the water level in my skimmer. I also use MB7 to ensure a good bacterial culture.

So now that I am fully ramped up, will be interesting to see if this will bring my nitrates down all the way or not. I am continuing my feeding as before. My P04, tested (Hanna) last a few days ago, was at .47.
Old 11-05-2011, 05:58 AM

chris121277 is on a distinguished road

just tagging along here
Old 11-05-2011, 06:03 AM

cwatkins is on a distinguished road

Someone I know actually uses both methods. BioPellets and Vodka dosing.
Old 11-05-2011, 03:25 PM

daniella3d is on a distinguished road

MOst of the crash I have seen are from people going to fast and creating a bacteria bloom and that endup up killing all the fish usually from lack of oxygen in the tank.

So what ever you do, go very very slowly.
Old 11-05-2011, 04:30 PM

Bblinks is on a distinguished road

Why don't you give Paul form oceanic corals a call, he has experience on both systems, he is currently running both on his systems.

300DD - 140DD

TOTM Fall 2013
Old 11-05-2011, 04:43 PM

Parker is on a distinguished road

I've used both with success, I found the bio pellets the better option for me only from a time investment standpoint. You really can forget about biopellets and let the do their thing.