Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 09-10-2011, 02:21 PM

newreefer_59 is on a distinguished road
Default Care and feeding of my new clam - question

Go a piece of live rock (from a fellow reefer) that included a 3" clam - do not know the actual type of clam, but is very cool looking.

I put the live rock with clam about 1/2 way up in my 150 gallon tank, so is about a foot from the surface with good flow but not direct flow from one of the tunzes.

Question 1: My bubble tip anenome gets larger by the day, and will move from time-to-time. It is getting close to the clam and seems to kill off the SPS coral as it moves around. Will the anenome harm/kill it?

2: Do I target feed the clam or does it just filter feed?

Thanks.
Old 09-10-2011, 02:32 PM
Gold Member

FishyFishy! will become famous soon enough

The anenome shouldn't hurt the clam, you just have to be carefull that it dosn't jump off the ledge and commit suicide. They will move on their own if they are unhappy. Usually you should put them on the ground due to their tendancy to "jump"

Just provide them with plenty of light, as they are photosynthetic. They also require a lot of calcium as well, so make sure to check your ca levels often. You should also make sure not to put them in the way of any direct or laminar flow.

They call it addiction for a reason...
Old 09-10-2011, 03:18 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

First, determine if this is a tridacnid clam (corcea, maxima, etc). If it's just a hitchiker clam (little white guy), you won't need to worry too much about it, it's a coin toss whether it will survive long term or not. I suspect it's the latter, live rock doesn't usually come with a free tridacnid clam
Old 09-10-2011, 03:37 PM
Gold Member

FishyFishy! will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
First, determine if this is a tridacnid clam (corcea, maxima, etc). If it's just a hitchiker clam (little white guy), you won't need to worry too much about it, it's a coin toss whether it will survive long term or not. I suspect it's the latter, live rock doesn't usually come with a free tridacnid clam

Yeah good call! lol

They call it addiction for a reason...