Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 08-23-2011, 04:00 AM

e46er is on a distinguished road
Default LED

answered

Owner of Mountain Ridge Heating and Gas
Class A gas fitter, HVAC

Last edited by e46er; 08-23-2011 at 02:12 PM.
Old 08-23-2011, 04:25 AM

ReefOcean is an unknown quantity at this point

Your friend sounds like he builds systems very close tot he ones China pumps out. They are built with 1w Bridgelux or worse LEDS.

For SPS and Clams, I wouldn't use them unless your livestock is 6 inches away from the light and directly under it. I speak from experience, I have a 120w currently over my 30 gallon.

I would do one 120w lamp over each 1.5-2 feet of tank, as close to the water as possible. For a 24 inch deep tank, you will be looking at uner 150 par at max depth but like with all LEDs, the initial par at higher levels is good.

As for LEDs, a (white-blue) of (2-1) ratio will net you about 14,000K. Mine is 1-1 and it is definately 20k at least.

As for pricing, you can get these systems for $150-220 shipped from China. I can point you in the right direction if you wish. I can vouch for one company, my light has been going great for almost a year. They also offer 3 years warrenty etc which leads me to believe your friend is in fact reselling and not manufacturing.
Old 08-23-2011, 04:34 AM

thanks for the blue white ratio

as for buying and reselling um no
he hasnt built any fixtures for tanks yet mine will be the first the lights were built with other products in mind and have produced equilivant yields to 1000 watters so he is selling them like hot cakes and i figured why not try and expand into another market as well

thanks for your input

Class A gas fitter, HVAC
Old 08-23-2011, 07:25 AM

martinmcnally is on a distinguished road

You would need to find out what kid of LEDs he is using. 1000W doesn't sound anything close to what is correct and wattage per foot of tank doesn't not really apply to LED since some LEDs are extremely inefficient and some are exceptionally good. It all depends on the size of your tank too. The color output for growing vegetables is also completely different, its more of a red color than the 14000K mixture you want for a coral tank.

For 3 foot tank we recommend 48 LEDs based on an 18inch wide tank and approximately 24inches deep. That will consume approximately 144 watts. Using Cree XP-Es that is more output than you will need and usually people attach a dimmer and have them dimmed down a little. If your tank is deeper or wider you can add more.

Hope that helps.
Old 08-23-2011, 02:07 PM

I know the color spectrum is different for corals and plants and the 1000 watt lights were NOT for a fish tank
I'm getting it for free to test out I was just asking how many b lue lights to white

Class A gas fitter, HVAC
Old 08-23-2011, 02:33 PM

banditpowdercoat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefOcean View Post
Your friend sounds like he builds systems very close tot he ones China pumps out. They are built with 1w Bridgelux or worse LEDS.

For SPS and Clams, I wouldn't use them unless your livestock is 6 inches away from the light and directly under it. I speak from experience, I have a 120w currently over my 30 gallon.

I would do one 120w lamp over each 1.5-2 feet of tank, as close to the water as possible. For a 24 inch deep tank, you will be looking at uner 150 par at max depth but like with all LEDs, the initial par at higher levels is good.

As for LEDs, a (white-blue) of (2-1) ratio will net you about 14,000K. Mine is 1-1 and it is definately 20k at least.

As for pricing, you can get these systems for $150-220 shipped from China. I can point you in the right direction if you wish. I can vouch for one company, my light has been going great for almost a year. They also offer 3 years warrenty etc which leads me to believe your friend is in fact reselling and not manufacturing.
You meantion Bridgelux. Are you talking the single LED's or Multichip? I am experimenting with the Bridgelux Multichips 90-100Lumen/Watt 60Watt chips. And supplimenting with Actinic. Not done building it yet

Umm, a tank or 5
Old 08-23-2011, 03:38 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by banditpowdercoat View Post
You meantion Bridgelux. Are you talking the single LED's or Multichip? I am experimenting with the Bridgelux Multichips 90-100Lumen/Watt 60Watt chips. And supplimenting with Actinic. Not done building it yet
nothing wrong with Bridglux single or multi. they are just as good quality wise as cree. edison are good also, it is the no name knock offs that can be suspect..

the only reason cree stands out from the "good" bunch of companies is there advancment rate is slightly ahead in terms of lumins per watt. but as has been said in previous threads we realy don't need all that power as most people set there ballasts to run them at a max of 80% then they dim that down to 60% and realy the other big chip players are closing the gap with Cree now. bridglux may not be quite as efficient but they have more powerfull LEDs

so it comes down to weather it is going to cost 3.00/month to run your fixture with crees, or 3.50/month for your bridglux (becuse the crees are a little bit more efficient)

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 08-23-2011, 03:49 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46er View Post
answered
That's somewhat annoying, leave questions up for others to follow and maybe learn from...
Old 08-23-2011, 03:50 PM

banditpowdercoat is on a distinguished road

Yeahh, $3.50/month is alot better than my $25+ for the MH, AND the 15-20 for the AC unit, fan's and the 1.5g of water that evaporates every day...

Actually, I am working with a manufacture of Industrial lighting, using Bridgelux chips and Meanwell drivers. We see real good potential from the Multi-chip LED technology. No more having a whackload of individual LED's. The prototype has chips, 1.5"square +250W MH output with apprx 60-75W consumption. Time will tell

Umm, a tank or 5
Old 08-23-2011, 04:08 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by banditpowdercoat View Post
Yeahh, $3.50/month is alot better than my $25+ for the MH, AND the 15-20 for the AC unit, fan's and the 1.5g of water that evaporates every day...

Actually, I am working with a manufacture of Industrial lighting, using Bridgelux chips and Meanwell drivers. We see real good potential from the Multi-chip LED technology. No more having a whackload of individual LED's. The prototype has chips, 1.5"square +250W MH output with apprx 60-75W consumption. Time will tell
I would shift away from the meanwell, not as good as we thought they were, but they were all you could get then that was deicent. but a lot of blowen arays because of meanwells.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.