Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 07-27-2011, 05:50 AM

reef93 is on a distinguished road
Default Please help, how to treat a sick fish in reef tank ?

My Coral Beauty Angel is having a cloudy eye for more than a week now. I don't think it will heal by itself without the treatment. I can't set up a quarantine tank and I can't catch him/her either. Does anyone know what kind of medication is reef safe. so I can treat this poor little one before it goes blind ? I have running bio pellets, is it going to effect the bacteria if I am using that kind of medication ? Please tell me if any of you had been using or had experience with it.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:12 AM

RuGlu6 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by reef93 View Post
My Coral Beauty Angel is having a cloudy eye for more than a week now. I don't think it will heal by itself without the treatment. I can't set up a quarantine tank and I can't catch him/her either. Does anyone know what kind of medication is reef safe. so I can treat this poor little one before it goes blind ? I have running bio pellets, is it going to effect the bacteria if I am using that kind of medication ? Please tell me if any of you had been using or had experience with it.
90% of the time "treatment" will speed up his departure to a fish heaven.
Mainly caused by stress of moving to another environment.
Medication in the reef is even worse, more side effects then anything. Risking the entire reef because of one fish.

Try improved diet (with garlic, garlic is good natural antibiotic) + double the doze of your regular iodine supplement.
better to have one eyed fish then a dead one.
jmtcw
Old 07-27-2011, 05:12 PM

Mandosh is on a distinguished road

Like RuGlu6 said, its usually caused by stress or poor water conditions. Have you tested your water? Frequent water changes for the next while should do the trick. I have heard of people using epsom salts for cloudy eyes if the water changes don't seem to help. Search and you should be able to find more info on that though.
Old 07-27-2011, 11:33 PM

Isn't it very sad to know your fish is going to go blind in the future ? He is my favorite fish.
Old 07-27-2011, 11:43 PM

Mandosh is on a distinguished road

Wait, who said your fish was going to go blind?
Old 07-28-2011, 12:04 AM

daniella3d is on a distinguished road

When my trigger had popeye (huge bulging eye very cloudy) I treated it with Seachem Paraguard in a quarantine tank and it took very long to really resolve the popeye but the cloudiness was much better after 3 weeks. You cannot treat in a display tank though.

Another option would be to treat antibiotics in the food but this is not very easy in a reef tank to control the dosage and could very well end up killing the fish by overdosing.

Garlic? ..it's probably not going to do much for a cloudy eye..but hey..you can try it.
Old 07-28-2011, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandosh View Post
Wait, who said your fish was going to go blind?

Even nobody says my fish will go blind but I know for sure if my Angel doesn't get treatment right now, it will difinitely go blind. It looks "serious" cloudy, I can not recognise that it would be called an eye anymore. I have treated all my fish with food soaked in garlic for a month now, but it doesn't seem to help that cloudy eye at all.
I can't catch him/her for quarantine, unless I rip the whole tank out, and I don't want to do that. Maybe I just have to let it go blind, as RuGlu6 said " better to have one eyed fish then a dead one ". I hope someone here has had some success experience with reef safe medication when they treat their sick fish.
Old 07-28-2011, 01:11 AM

intarsiabox is on a distinguished road

Unfortunatly it's very hard to treat a single fish in a display tank. It's probably equivilent to spraying antibiotics in aerosol form around the house to get rid of an infection. Extremely unlikely you will ever receive enough medication to have any effect. Just keep providing a healthy tank and food and with any luck things will turn out for the poor guy.
Old 07-28-2011, 01:47 AM

untamed is on a distinguished road

I had a yellow tail damsel live for at least 10 years AFTER losing an eye. If he seems otherwise healthy and continues to eat well, I would leave things alone.
400 gal reef. Established April, 2007. 3 Sequence Dart, RM12-4 skimmer, 2 x OM4Ways, Yellow Tang, Maroon Clown (pair), Blonde Naso Tang, Vlamingi Tang, Foxface Rabbit, Unicorn Tang, 2 Pakistani Butterflies and a few coral gobies

My Tank: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=28436
Old 07-28-2011, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by untamed View Post
I had a yellow tail damsel live for at least 10 years AFTER losing an eye. If he seems otherwise healthy and continues to eat well, I would leave things alone.

Untamed, you have senior experience ( with your giant tank ) on Canreef, if you say so I guess I will not bother to find out how to treat my angel anymore. He is eating well and very active, hope he can live for another 10 years like your little damsel. Anyway, I still feel bad though ... poor little handsome guy ...