Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Regional Forums > British Columbia > Lower Mainland

Old 08-30-2010, 10:37 PM

Reef-Geek is on a distinguished road
Default where to get RO/DI water?

I heard this kind water all the time, do u need to buy and install a water filter in the kitchen to do it?
Old 08-30-2010, 10:41 PM

Veng68 is on a distinguished road

Many sponsors on this site sell RO/DI units.

You can attach them to your faucet (bathroom or kitchen) inline (permanent) or have a faucet attachment (portable).

Go on one of the vendor sites and check out what they have and some of the sites will explain the filters.

Cheers,
Vic
Old 08-30-2010, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veng68 View Post
Many sponsors on this site sell RO/DI units.

You can attach them to your faucet (bathroom or kitchen) inline (permanent) or have a faucet attachment (portable).

Go on one of the vendor sites and check out what they have and some of the sites will explain the filters.

Cheers,
Vic
Thanks for the quick response, I only have a 34 gallon tank in my condo so I don't want to buy the filtration unit, I checked with JL and they don't sell RO water, where else can I just but the RO water?
Old 08-30-2010, 10:46 PM

So supermarkets sell it........ but I would test the water......... you never know how often they change the filters.

for our water you can always get a simple DI unit. With out low TDS the DI will last a long time.

Cheers,
Vic
Old 08-30-2010, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veng68 View Post
So supermarkets sell it........ but I would test the water......... you never know how often they change the filters.

for our water you can always get a simple DI unit. With out low TDS the DI will last a long time.

Cheers,
Vic
I actually has a water filter from microclear (http://microclear.ca/microfiltration.html) ,is that consider RO water?
what does them looks like?
what does the RO water look like in supermarkets?
Thanks
Old 08-30-2010, 10:59 PM

Look like you have just a normal drinking water filter. RO units have the water pass through an RO membrane.

In the super market look for where you get bottled water. They should have a machine that you can fill a container. Make sure it's RO water and not just filtered water.

In the long run you may want to get an RO filter because of the cost of getting the water from the super market. You can get a pretty cheap RO unit for around $120.

Cheers,
Vic
Old 08-30-2010, 11:05 PM

globaldesigns is on a distinguished road

supermarkets sell RO water, some have bottled water, others have the actual filler, so you can fill your old bottles. But you never know how old the filters in the machine are.

Personally, the amount you pay for the bottles or filling your own would pay for your filtration unit in no time. Then you don't have to worry about buying it, just make as needed.

Setup: 180G DT, 105G Refuge (approx. 300lbs LR, 150lbs Aragonite)
Hardware: Super Reef Octopus SSS-3000, Tunze ATO, Mag 18 return, 2x MP40W, 2X Koralia 4's Wavemaker
Lighting: 5ft Hamilton Belize Sun (2x250W MH, 2X80W T5HO)
Type of Aquarium: mixed reef (SPS & LPS) with fish
Dosing: Mg, Ca, Alk
Old 08-31-2010, 02:00 AM

DiverDude is on a distinguished road

+1 on this. I used supermarket water to get setup on my 28 Gal and it cost me $50 ! You then need several gallons every week for water changes etc. Before you know it, you'll be way over the cost of a simple RO filter system.

Be smart, buy one right up front and save your money.

Oh, and the quality of supermarket water can very dramatically. You will quickly find that having your own system (where you can control the quality) is worth a LOT if you've got algae problems from bad water.

29 Gal Bowfront w/24" LED Lights. DIY HOB Sump (5.4 Gal) MP40. Orange Spotted Watchman Goby, 2 Clownfish and a few hermits.
Old 08-31-2010, 05:16 AM

scherzo is on a distinguished road

There are tonnes of sites and webpages with this topic. You can search for making RO/DI water in google and you will find many sites with information.

I'll tell you what I know to summarize what I've read. It sounds like you're new to this.

We filter water to make sure that it is as PURE AS POSSIBLE before we put it in our tanks. That way we can make sure there aren't any unwanted nutrients or things that may harm our tanks.

From my experience the water in the lower mainland of Vancouver is extremely good. Especially in areas that are close to the water sheds or have access to Vancouver's new water filtration system (coming from Capilano and Seymour watersheds). Our TDS is quite often as low as 15-or 10 PPM (0 is ideal).

You can get a DI (De-Ionization) filter which creates NO WASTE WATER for pretty cheap at J&L. Mine last about 12 months before I need to replace them ($35 for the replacement)

For the ultimate in water purity you can get a Reverse Osmosis (or RO) filter. This pushes the water through some filters and a membrane to clean the water. The water that is "BAD" is discarded through a hose and down the drain. Many systems also put a DI (De-Ionization) filter that further cleans the water. This is how you end up with RO/DI water. (These filters cost about $150-$300 depending on the system)

Then add salt and then add it to your aquarium.

You can get RO water from the grocery store. I would test it just to make sure it is ok. As others have said, who knows how often they clean their filters.

I've always used a DI filter. I will likely get a RO/DI filter soon as I have been looking into it. I'm not sure why. I'm always saying that our water here is so clean we don't really need it. But, I've been looking into it lately. Just for insurance.

There you go. My long post which has postponed my inevitable list of house work to be done tonight.
Old 08-31-2010, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scherzo View Post
There are tonnes of sites and webpages with this topic. You can search for making RO/DI water in google and you will find many sites with information.

I'll tell you what I know to summarize what I've read. It sounds like you're new to this.

We filter water to make sure that it is as PURE AS POSSIBLE before we put it in our tanks. That way we can make sure there aren't any unwanted nutrients or things that may harm our tanks.

From my experience the water in the lower mainland of Vancouver is extremely good. Especially in areas that are close to the water sheds or have access to Vancouver's new water filtration system (coming from Capilano and Seymour watersheds). Our TDS is quite often as low as 15-or 10 PPM (0 is ideal).

You can get a DI (De-Ionization) filter which creates NO WASTE WATER for pretty cheap at J&L. Mine last about 12 months before I need to replace them ($35 for the replacement)

For the ultimate in water purity you can get a Reverse Osmosis (or RO) filter. This pushes the water through some filters and a membrane to clean the water. The water that is "BAD" is discarded through a hose and down the drain. Many systems also put a DI (De-Ionization) filter that further cleans the water. This is how you end up with RO/DI water. (These filters cost about $150-$300 depending on the system)

Then add salt and then add it to your aquarium.

You can get RO water from the grocery store. I would test it just to make sure it is ok. As others have said, who knows how often they clean their filters.

I've always used a DI filter. I will likely get a RO/DI filter soon as I have been looking into it. I'm not sure why. I'm always saying that our water here is so clean we don't really need it. But, I've been looking into it lately. Just for insurance.

There you go. My long post which has postponed my inevitable list of house work to be done tonight.
That's very valuable info, thanks
will you please recommand a RO filter for me under 200 bucks? or do u think just use DI filter is enough,can u please post a link to the one you bought from JL? I am in North Burnaby and do u know how is the water quality?