Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Buy/Sell/Trade > Buy/Sell/Trade (Aquatics hardware related only)

Old 03-31-2011, 09:55 AM

Timbits is on a distinguished road
Default LF: Reliable Digital Timer

Hey guys, just wondering if you guys have one lying around that you'll sell me, i am so fed up with mine it doesn't turn my lights off its driving me crazy anyways pm me! thanks!
Old 03-31-2011, 11:48 AM

phi delt reefer is on a distinguished road

i dont believe a reliable digital timer exists. I have read everywhere to either use a reef controller (ie. reefkeeper lite $120 but has 4 outlets) or mechanical timers. I think the circuitry in the digital timers is prone to interference so they muck up quite a bit.
Old 03-31-2011, 02:38 PM

monocus is on a distinguished road
Default timer

i found the best timer is a 24 hour in wall timer by intermatic(km2st-1g).get a double box an outlet and do some simple wiring and you'll have a reliable timer that's simple to use with 2 outlets.it's not digital , but you can set it up for multiple on and offs
Old 03-31-2011, 03:43 PM

fencer is on a distinguished road

CDN Tire. They sell heavy duty timers for auto block heaters
Old 03-31-2011, 04:13 PM

ScubaSteve is on a distinguished road

Walmart. Their digital timers are bomb proof. I've accidentally poor water on them and everything, still work like the day I bought them.
Old 03-31-2011, 11:23 PM

Ripwoop is on a distinguished road

I won't buy another digital timer again. Had it for about 7 months and it keeps time for about 2 days, then boom just starts making up it's own mind what time it is. 24 hour manual one are far better. IMO
Old 03-31-2011, 11:32 PM

martinmcnally is on a distinguished road

I just got some timers from these guys:

http://northcoastpets.com/lighting_parts.htm

They are the only ones I can find with battery backup so if the power goes out they wont lose the timer settings. That seems to happen to me every time i set foot out of the country.
Old 03-31-2011, 11:53 PM

Lance is on a distinguished road

I've tried numerous brands of digital & mechanical timers and most of them are POS! I've found using a controller is the best way to go. If you have to go with a timer I like the Hamilton Dual Digital Timer.
Old 03-31-2011, 11:59 PM

Nebthet is on a distinguished road

I have 2 of the digital timers made by Wood's, that look and work the exact same as the coralife digital timers, but are cheaper.

Mine have never given me an issue. Just make sure you are setting it correctly by having every day of the week showing on the program on off part unless you want things to be different every day. Also ensure you have it on the auto setting once all done.

I have been using these for well over a year now and they work perfect. The only time I do have an issue with them is if the power goes out and that is my fault b/c I haven't put the batteries in the back as a timer back up.
Nebthet Special Forces Aqua Division...Codename Nebanatior...Mission: Coral Recovery..... Don't say anymore on this form I've detected a key tap surveillance system ..I think they are on to you.. what hu no.. no....please..
Old 04-02-2011, 10:11 PM

Timbits is on a distinguished road

Wow, thanks for all the replies guys! i was looking for a digital timer because i've heard from someone before that they are more reliable... im using a mechanical one right now and it screws up all da time! but after hearing from all you guys it seems like mechanical ones are much more reliable.... i guess i need to find a better mechanical one... if you still have one that ur not using please let me know!

Thanks, Tim