Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 01-08-2004, 09:40 PM

Jim Barry is on a distinguished road
Default Cryptopure ??

My Carribean Tang has developed iche and I purchased a product called Cryptopure to treat the problem. The bottle says it is safe for invertebrates and I have been using it for 3 days in my main tank. It has turned the water a disgusting orange colour. I have disconected my protein skimmer and stopped the use of carbon as the instuctions suggested.

Most of my corals are doing okay, however my zoos and mushrooms are not responding very well and a couple of polyps have died.

Has anyone used this product with any success? It says to use it for another 3 days but I am worried that the problems may get worse.

My Tang is impossible to catch to quarantine.

Any suggestions would be appreciated...

Thanks,

Jim
Old 01-08-2004, 10:38 PM
UnderWorldAquatics

If any inverts are reacting badly, I would suggest you use a fair bit of carbon, and turn your skimmer on imediatley!!!
Old 01-09-2004, 12:05 AM

Here is a link to the Cryptopur website.... it says on the website that the polyps will close up during treatment and then reopen after.

http://www.sera.de/English/autoframe...ct_%201999.htm
Old 01-09-2004, 12:11 AM
UnderWorldAquatics

Default Re: Cryptopure ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Barry
Most of my corals are doing okay, however my zoos and mushrooms are not responding very well and a couple of polyps have died.

Jim
are the polyps just closed up, or have they actually died? closed up and mucousy is normal if they dont like something, withered and detached is bad...
Old 01-09-2004, 01:27 AM

EmilyB is on a distinguished road

How bad is the ich Jim? Are you feeding garlic ?
Old 01-09-2004, 01:36 AM

The ich is only on one fish. I have been treating for 3 days now and its says to treat for 6 days.

After reading the info on the website, I feel better about the polyps closing on the zoos. I have had only 2 polyps die in the last few days, so it is probably to early to panic. The worst thing is the orange/iodine looking color that the water has turned. I don't know if this is supposed to happen. We your water turns this colour, it makes you panic a bit. All the other corals appear to be doing fine.
Old 01-09-2004, 01:42 AM
UnderWorldAquatics

most medications tint the water quite abit, orange, yellow, blue, green, pink, red, purple, the list goes on...
Old 01-09-2004, 02:54 AM

BCOrchidGuy is on a distinguished road

Any idea how your Tang got the ich? Trying to treat ich in a reef tank is a difficult thing to do. There are a number of products that claim to be reef safe but you have to be careful. I've used products that say "Reef Safe" only to watch as polyps etc close up and Xenia and Anthelia receed and look like they've died. Most of it came back but not all of it.
Best of luck

Doug
Old 01-09-2004, 03:14 AM

dekay is on a distinguished road

First time my tang got ich, i tried feeding w/ garlic supplement and it didn't seem to work well. After a couple days, I decided to give him a fresh water bath every day for 3-4 consecutive days and it went away.

Second time he got ich I just used garlic and it worked.
Old 01-09-2004, 04:32 PM

mnoll406 is on a distinguished road

I've had ich in a couple of my tanks, in my opinion it is best to let it run its course. Generally ich is a stress induced disease. Make sure all water parameters are where they should be. If they are not, then correct the problems, and the ich will go away. I think a lot of the treatments (FW dips, etc.) just end up stressing the animal and make it worse. Also who knows what type of effects the meds have on bacteria, and other beneficial microorganisms in our tanks. Once again this is my opinion and personal experience, but I will add that I have never lost a fish to ich.

Mike