Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 12-30-2003, 06:35 PM

JTrigger is on a distinguished road
Default Yay, ich.

So after I returned from a week away down south, I found a few fish ridden with ich, namely my tang, royal gramma, 1 chromis, pair o clowns... and flame angel... which is most of em.. LoL... and most of these passed away since I got back... any suggestions for treatment? I don't have a q-tank setup at the moment... had one a while back, but took it down as it was taking up space in my tightly cramped apt..

JT
Old 12-30-2003, 06:38 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

garlic. And make sure whatever stressed them is gone. And more garlic.
Old 12-30-2003, 09:12 PM

Namscam is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Namscam Send a message via MSN to Namscam Send a message via Yahoo to Namscam

so what??just mince up regular garlic and put it in tank??cuz i got ich or something like it on my tang too...I ve been trying greenex but it doesnt seem to work and got worst
Old 12-30-2003, 09:55 PM

EmilyB is on a distinguished road

You can mix the powered kyolic garlic you can get at health food stores into their food, or rub a cut clove on their nori.
Old 12-30-2003, 10:32 PM

aussiefishy is on a distinguished road

i did the kick ich thing and it work for me... althought i need to repeat the cycle... and it is not completely reef safe. shrimps and soft corals are very sensitive to this stuff... but although i loss 2 cleaner shrimp and a finger, i rid ick... that is the most impostant thing

cheers
Old 12-30-2003, 11:00 PM

TANGOMAN is on a distinguished road

Thanks to Deb's advice some time ago, I too have found garlic as the best treatment. I had tried that "kick-ich" a while back and achieved nothing beneficial other than the fact that I did not lose any of my fingers... .
I purchase garlic "gel tabs" and cut them open. It works for me and everything smells great !
I wish ya' luck with treatment. Keep the nutrition and water quality optimal and aquarium disturbances minimal, and hopefully they can "ride it out".
Old 12-30-2003, 11:37 PM

monza is on a distinguished road

I just crush a glove of garlic and soak in water with the food for an hour or so, remove garlic and feed.

Dave
Old 12-31-2003, 12:08 AM

pocilipora is on a distinguished road

I never had luck with garlic. Quarantine and medication is the only sure way to go. Some have claimed garlic to work, but I think on a tank where your loosing a few fish because of ick in a short period of time, you should act quickly. Quarantine them if you can. If you want Ive got a partial bottle of "Garlic Etreme" you can have.
Old 12-31-2003, 02:29 AM

chwkreefer is on a distinguished road

I have found that garlic can be quite helpful in the early onset of ich. But if there is quite an infestation and/or the fish aren't eating, you will have to catch the fish,quarantine and start dosing copper.

Kich Ich basically just irritates the fish into producing slime, which is supposed to slough off the parasite. Apparently it works for some but I think the overall consensus is that it isn't the miracle cure that reefers want. Some fish just don't produce a lot of slime. It's pretty expensive and is a 50/50 chance of success at best.

Garlic is great in boosting immunity, but if your fish is covered in ich, garlic isn't your best bet. There are articles on line that debate whether the allicin in garlic is destroyed in the gut of the fish (digestion) and therefore isn't as great as some are boasting. It certainly is worth feeding either way.

Another thing you can try is to get some metronizadole (pet store or vet, cheaper at the vet) and mix it with some fish flake food. You can dissolve a quarter tablet in warm water and add some flake food to it and then feed your fish. Or you can mix it with some homemade frozen food. The small amounts of the drug you add to your tank will pose no problem on the reef inhabitants. Do a search on the net and you'll get more info on metronizadole.

Overall your best treatment is copper. It's a real pain to tear into your reef to catch fish, but if the fish are looking bad, you are best to make the effort. Read the instructions on dosing carefully and get a copper test kit. Copper is deadly on parasites and can be quite hard on the fish too, if dosed too high. Keeping any calcium based product (sand/decorations)out of the quarantine tank will help keep the copper in suspension longer too btw. Copper has a real affinity for calcium.

Good luck
Bill
Old 12-31-2003, 03:54 AM

BCOrchidGuy is on a distinguished road

It's expensive but the Kent Galic worked for me (not that I had ich, the fish did)

Doug