Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 02-18-2011, 05:14 PM

George is on a distinguished road
Default My dream reef tank

I always dream of building a big reef tank housing some beautiful angel fish. I am actually building one now. Today I found my inspiration (well, this one and along with copps tanks). Check out the link below. All those rare angel fish make me drool. And they are in a reef tank. I don't have that much dough to buy all those rare angel fish. I might end up with some not so rare ones(i.e. cheaper angel fish). I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYjZmE24lIk

Last edited by George; 02-18-2011 at 05:20 PM.
Old 02-18-2011, 05:35 PM

ScubaSteve is on a distinguished road

Totally with ya on Copp's reef!

Here's a cool link for ya: http://glassbox-design.com/2011/tips-for-feeding-fish/

I've known a few people to use these tricks to ween angels off corals and onto prepared foods to make the reef a bit safer from the onslaught of hungry mouths.
Old 02-18-2011, 06:21 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

Oh man...multiple bandits! Those require cooler water...wonder if the person is providing that?
Old 02-18-2011, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve View Post
Totally with ya on Copp's reef!

Here's a cool link for ya: http://glassbox-design.com/2011/tips-for-feeding-fish/

I've known a few people to use these tricks to ween angels off corals and onto prepared foods to make the reef a bit safer from the onslaught of hungry mouths.
Thanks for the link. It will come in handy some day.

On the subject of bandit angel, does anyone know how much one costs in Canada (if one ever shows up)? I know how much one costs in the US, but usually the price inflates when it comes here.

Last edited by George; 02-18-2011 at 06:35 PM.
Old 02-18-2011, 06:40 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

I don't really follow the rare fish trends but pretty sure they are in diver's den for 1k or more aren't they? Must be more here although I have never seen or heard of one over here.
Old 02-18-2011, 06:58 PM

I have seen one in person. There is one in J&L's display tank. It's beautiful and ridiculous fat (in a good way).
Old 02-18-2011, 07:03 PM

Mandosh is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by George View Post
On the subject of bandit angel, does anyone know how much one costs in Canada (if one ever shows up)? I know how much one costs in the US, but usually the price inflates when it comes here.
JL had one for sale a while back. $900-ish i believe.
Old 02-19-2011, 01:30 AM

naesco is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by George View Post
I always dream of building a big reef tank housing some beautiful angel fish. I am actually building one now. Today I found my inspiration (well, this one and along with copps tanks). Check out the link below. All those rare angel fish make me drool. And they are in a reef tank. I don't have that much dough to buy all those rare angel fish. I might end up with some not so rare ones(i.e. cheaper angel fish). I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYjZmE24lIk
George ask you LFS to order T size (tiny) angelfish from the suppliers stock list. The price is affordable but you have to take the time to feed them often after they arrive. I would be fun to watch them grow.
Old 02-19-2011, 03:46 PM

Wayne is on a distinguished road

Wow that was brave of someone to put clams in that tank. I wonder why they were all closed up?

Amazing tank though! I really want a FOWLR tank that I could fill with Angelfish.
Old 02-20-2011, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naesco View Post
George ask you LFS to order T size (tiny) angelfish from the suppliers stock list. The price is affordable but you have to take the time to feed them often after they arrive. I would be fun to watch them grow.
Thanks for the tip.
When I buy fish, I always try to get the smallest I can find. The reasons are 1. smaller fish seem to ship better than bigger fish for the same specie.
2. smaller ones are easier to be trained to eat prepared food than bigger ones.
3. For not reef safe fish, like angel fish, hopefully smaller ones haven't developed a taste for corals.
4. And of course, like you mentioned, smaller ones usually cost less than bigger ones, and fun to watch a fish grows up in my aquarium.