Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 02-02-2011, 07:23 PM

ensquire is on a distinguished road
Default Protein Skimmer Power Bar Failure Death Toll....

Went to work last night and everything was fine, Got up this morning and noticed a carcass in the tank. then another . Noticed that the skimmer was not running, Coralife POS, so i took it out and placed in sink and plugged it in. Working just fine. Power bar not working at all.
So far the casualties are :
Flame Angel
Pink Skunk Clown

MIA:
3 Spot Damsel
Pink Skunk Clown
2 Cleaner Shrimp
Bi Color Blennie

Not Looking Good:
Tomato Clown
Coral Banded Shrimp

Hope the others show up but, doubtful they will as they are usually front and center.
Blennie was one of my favorites.
Least favorite fish are all good , why does it always work like that ???
Old 02-02-2011, 07:34 PM

globaldesigns is on a distinguished road

I find it hard to believe that you are having this issue, from a skimmer not running for the night. Now that the powerbar failed, did you have all your powerheads hooked up to it. You are probably having these issues due to no water movement, no re-oxynation of the water.

Sorry to hear about your issue, I hope things work out and you don't lose to many more.

If I can recommend something.... Get a APC UPS (power bar with built in battery). You then plug in the powerheads into the spots that provide the battery backup. If you ever have a power outage or issues in the future, then the powerheads keep going and hopefully no issues. Remember if no flow, oxygen will run out in the water column.

Good luck!!!

Setup: 180G DT, 105G Refuge (approx. 300lbs LR, 150lbs Aragonite)
Hardware: Super Reef Octopus SSS-3000, Tunze ATO, Mag 18 return, 2x MP40W, 2X Koralia 4's Wavemaker
Lighting: 5ft Hamilton Belize Sun (2x250W MH, 2X80W T5HO)
Type of Aquarium: mixed reef (SPS & LPS) with fish
Dosing: Mg, Ca, Alk
Old 02-02-2011, 07:34 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

oh geez, that's terrible! sorry to hear did the powerbar just die or did it trip? It is amazing how quickly the tank can be deprived of oxygen once its primary source is removed. I suspect that's what happened, unless you had a heater on that powerbar too, well, then it was all sorts of bad!!
Old 02-02-2011, 07:43 PM

The Skimmer was only thing on the power bar and it failed. but may have been like that for 12 hours . Long time without O2. heading to store right now for back up.
Thanks
Old 02-02-2011, 07:53 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ensquire View Post
The Skimmer was only thing on the power bar and it failed. but may have been like that for 12 hours . Long time without O2. heading to store right now for back up.
Thanks
Ya, oxygen can deplete very quickly, especially in a small(ish) tank. I've had this happen myself. Since then I've kept a couple of emergency air pumps and stones on hand just in case.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:11 PM

globaldesigns is on a distinguished road

Again, my concern is that only your skimmer re-oxynated your water. Do you have flow in your tank? Using powerheads at the surface to aggitate the water at the top, helps to re-oxygenate. I would look at how you have things configured, as not having a skimmer running for 12 hours should not kill things. I think your problem is bigger than a bad powerbar overall. IMO...

Setup: 180G DT, 105G Refuge (approx. 300lbs LR, 150lbs Aragonite)
Hardware: Super Reef Octopus SSS-3000, Tunze ATO, Mag 18 return, 2x MP40W, 2X Koralia 4's Wavemaker
Lighting: 5ft Hamilton Belize Sun (2x250W MH, 2X80W T5HO)
Type of Aquarium: mixed reef (SPS & LPS) with fish
Dosing: Mg, Ca, Alk
Old 02-02-2011, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by globaldesigns View Post
Again, my concern is that only your skimmer re-oxynated your water. Do you have flow in your tank? Using powerheads at the surface to aggitate the water at the top, helps to re-oxygenate. I would look at how you have things configured, as not having a skimmer running for 12 hours should not kill things. I think your problem is bigger than a bad powerbar overall. IMO...
I have a Coralife 65 skimmer, 2 Koralia powerheads and a fluval 204 so there was still some flow . I agree that it was a quick kill off though. Furthur investagation is needed.

Last edited by ensquire; 02-02-2011 at 09:33 PM. Reason: wasn't finished LOL
Old 02-02-2011, 09:59 PM

Carrera75 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by globaldesigns View Post
+1
The fact that your skimmer stopped working has nothing to do with the death of your fish unless that's the only thing moving/circulating the water in your tank.

I have not used a skimmer since day one and my tank does EXTREMELY well, corals grow like crazy and everything is very happy. Fish or corals don't die just because the skimmer stopped working.

Cheers
Old 02-02-2011, 10:12 PM

Binare is on a distinguished road

Im running a skimmer now for the first time in years and only during the day when im gone cause the noise drives me nuckin futs. Id definately look for another issue like pointed out, flow... gas exchange etc. What are you running for equipment?
Old 02-02-2011, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binare View Post
Im running a skimmer now for the first time in years and only during the day when im gone cause the noise drives me nuckin futs. Id definately look for another issue like pointed out, flow... gas exchange etc. What are you running for equipment?

36 gallon Tank
Corallife 65 Skimmer
double glo fixture 1 Actinic 1 sunglo
2 Koralia 1 heads
fluval 205 ( Carbon , Biomax ammonia)