Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 12-15-2010, 05:42 AM

zum14 is on a distinguished road
Default Float switch question.

So I'm going to order an apex lite and set it up with some float switches for auto top off and tank level and such. What I'm wondering is how sensitive the float switches are? By sensitive I mean how much does the water level need to drop before it makes or breaks contact. With my new sump the water dropped about 3/4" since last night in the pump area which makes the herbie overflow not run right. Makes since as the head pressure is changing. So if the float switches work within let's say 1/8"-1/4" of water level I probably wont have to constantly adjust one way or the other. If they require more movement then that I'll have to look into tunze with the optical eye. Thanks!

"Nah, unless they got any big, giant robot camels I think were ok."

"Ah.....Jim.......robot camels"
Old 12-15-2010, 12:48 PM

Lampshade is on a distinguished road

I'm not sure about the apex system, but i know my float switches where a pain if they where anything but stright up and down, and even a high flow against them would cause them to flicker. I'm sure the apex system has a flicker buffer built in, so if it's flickering, it might not turn on until it's been "off" for 10 seconds. I had that problem with my own DIY system. I've heard that a PVC sleeve over it helps, and it probably would to stop ripples. I just moved my sensor to a stagnent part of my sump and it worked. There are no stagnent places in my new sump, so when I move the switch over for an inetrlock i'm sure i'll be running into the same problem again.
Old 12-15-2010, 02:10 PM

whatcaneyedo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to whatcaneyedo

The ones I use are fairly sensitive. I bought them from a Canadian ebay seller for about $5 each shipped. 1/8" between on and off. You could always add a 'max change' line to the program to keep them from flickering.

Old 120gal Tank Journal
New 225gal Tank Journal
May 2010 TOTM
The 10th Annual Prince George Reef Tank Tour