Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 12-03-2010, 07:45 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road
Default Home Construction Help

Anyone have any experience or ideas on what the following would cost. Trying to get a few quotes from contractors but I have no idea what is reasonable or what to expect.

Unfinished basement
Remove two bedroom size windows
Fill in area
Stucco outside area where filled in
Install new window on other side of basement (hopefully use one of the removed windows)
Building permit required

Any ideas on cost and the time it would take to do so would be super helpful. House is outside of town, Wheatland County.

Thanks
Old 12-03-2010, 11:24 PM

Frankly Canadian is on a distinguished road

Probably a few thousand, my best guess.

Last edited by Frankly Canadian; 12-03-2010 at 11:28 PM.
Old 12-03-2010, 11:34 PM

toxic111 is on a distinguished road

Ball park you are looking at anywhere from $2500-$5000 depending on if there is any mechanical or electrical to move, and what the final finished need to be.
Old 12-04-2010, 05:13 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

These are the windows that need to be removed. On a side note if anyone is familiar with fire code I'd love some advice on how I could fight this and keep the windows. The problem is the side yard is 5cm too narrow so it doesn't meet fire code, in order to get a variance from the county we will have to remove the windows to prevent a fire from spreading to the next house as easily. I understand this issue but what I don't get is the house has a fire sprinkler system just as you would find in Condo buildings. Now condos and townhomes can be connected because they have these systems so why would 5cm make a difference in my case.

Old 12-04-2010, 05:25 PM

The Codfather is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxic111 View Post
Ball park you are looking at anywhere from $2500-$5000 depending on if there is any mechanical or electrical to move, and what the final finished need to be.
Realistically, I think if you are contracting out all this work, you can add a 0 after those numbers. Just my opinion, but material alone is going to be more than $5000 to finish that size of basement. I see a rough in for a bathroom, trust me unless you are doing the work yourself, it's a bit more than a few grand. Just my 2 cents.
Bob
Old 12-04-2010, 05:47 PM

I got agree with Codfather, thats a pretty pricey endeavorer your embarking on. I would rethink your plans and co-ordinated them with the design of the house.
Old 12-04-2010, 05:48 PM
Banned

spawn is on a distinguished road

Talk to your lawyer, if the county approved the D.P. in the first place, & is now trying to say that the windows are against local fire code, it shouldn't be on you to pay to fix it. The house does not look that old, so someone must have seen & approved it???
Old 12-04-2010, 05:53 PM
Banned

spawn is on a distinguished road

Calgary & area basement development prices range from $25-40 per Sq. Ft.
Old 12-04-2010, 05:53 PM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Codfather View Post
Realistically, I think if you are contracting out all this work, you can add a 0 after those numbers. Just my opinion, but material alone is going to be more than $5000 to finish that size of basement. I see a rough in for a bathroom, trust me unless you are doing the work yourself, it's a bit more than a few grand. Just my 2 cents.
Bob
Would have to agree wth bob materials are going to be over 5000, drywall is around 12$ a sheet and your looking at around 100 sheets possibly more if your doing a full basement. Also you'll have to take in account other things like mud, framing, flooring, and finish work like trim and bathroom things like toilets showers ect.

Honestly you could get it drywalled for about $600
bathroom plumbing will probably be close to 1000$
flooring will be close to $1000 depending on what you use
paint and plaster will run you about 1500$
to replace a window would be close to $200
installing doors will be around $300
installing trim and baseboard would average around $500

I'm sure hrs alot mor I'm just on my phone and don't wan to type alot more plus all of this is just labour materials would cost more than this.

Your best bet is to call around and get free quotes and then make a budget, oversee the trades yourself and pay someone to check their work . I am renovating a full house right now from new framing and windows, drywall/ insulation , painting plastering plus everything in between .... After 3 weeks I'm up o 10000 in labour alone plus about 15000 in materials so is def always more than you think when doing full basements and houses.

Get some quotes from cntractors or trades and post them here with some info like sq/ft and materials your going to use and I could let you know if it's a good price

I am a general contractor in Edmonton doing new and old homes, I've seen basemnts that cost over 50000 and ones that were done on a tight rope budget , I've been contracting for 13yrs and I guarantee it will run closer to 15000 for a basic basement with materials and cheap labour

Hope the helps and the prices above are just estimates not actual quotes
Old 12-04-2010, 05:55 PM

Sorry I didn't read the part about having to do the renovations as per fire code regulations. If it were me I would definitely talk to a lawyer, preferably the one who took care of the land tittle transfer.