Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 10-09-2010, 10:30 PM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough
Default where and how did you learn to frag???

Lately I find myself cutting alot of corals and I'm always curious how people do it themselves or how they started doing it. Post me your frag stories good or bad and what you do and dont do????????

For me I started with kenyas , I cut it one day and lost a piece to find it the next day now attached slightly, after doing it some more I tried other corals, I haven't fragged anything difficult yet but have done kenyas, all kinds of zoa's, gorgnians, pipe corals plus all the weeds lol kind of it's own little hobby now, so the new tank will have frag tank underneathe
Old 10-09-2010, 10:34 PM

ALang is on a distinguished road

Well, I just did a water change, and I just cannot stand the Hair algae growing on my hug piece of monti anymore. So I just started cracking the pieces apart until I have a few pieces of corals without any H/A on them, then I just stuck them back in between LRs. Noew they are slimming badly. Hope they will survive.
Old 10-10-2010, 12:08 AM

BlueTang<3 is on a distinguished road

That type of fraging is just cutting. Wait till you cut a brain coral or plate coral with a tile saw. Now that just sucks smells terrible and chunks of slime getting thrown everywhere. I find you just have to go for it. Corals are a lot hardier then we give them credit for

360 Reef Tank
Old 10-10-2010, 02:25 AM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Razor blade for the softies, frag cutters for the sps, dremel with cutting wheel for everything else . And yes, once you whip out the dremel it gets messy. Wear eye protection at all times!
Old 10-10-2010, 02:52 AM

zum14 is on a distinguished road

Havent done much fragging yet as nothings really large enough for it but recently came across a recomended video of Eric Borneman on coral fragging. Rediculous! The guy is so comfortable fragging. Just like any other day. It was really informative. Have been googleing any video I can with him in it. His book is next on my list. Also Ive been googleing Anthony Calfo and watching what I can on him. Not quite ready yet for sawing anything but really makes me more comfortable on the subjects watching and learning from these guys.

"Nah, unless they got any big, giant robot camels I think were ok."

"Ah.....Jim.......robot camels"
Old 10-10-2010, 04:06 AM

mark is on a distinguished road

Calfo's "Book of Coral Propagation" and as said lots of youtube stuff out there.
Old 10-10-2010, 04:29 PM

whatcaneyedo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to whatcaneyedo

I read The Book of Coral Propagation by Anthony Calfo, The Reef Aquarium Vol 1 and 2 by Delbeek and Sprung, all of the articles on the subject on Reefkeeping.com and I hang out in the Coral Propagation and Aquaculture forum on RC a lot. I've also found a lot of good videos on youtube.com and elsewhere on the web. This isn't one of them... but I just have to post it again http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgbH04g6mXs

Old 120gal Tank Journal
New 225gal Tank Journal
May 2010 TOTM
The 10th Annual Prince George Reef Tank Tour
Old 10-10-2010, 06:41 PM

Millepora_Maniac is on a distinguished road

I thought that it couldn't be that hard, so i learned the hard way, i used to use big chunks of Tunze reef epoxy, it would get smeared all over the frags, out of ten, maybe five would look good, the other five would have dead spots from where I had handled them with the epoxy on my fingers. LOL
Then I saw some frags with clear glue, so i bought the stony prop kit from J+L. It had some clear glue and accelerator, Way better results, less than 10% death rate.
Now I use the ViaAqua plastic plugs, and the Zeo Vit reef cement. Most of the time i have zero casualties, no dead spots, and no weird chemicals like the accelerator.
Rather than using a tile saw, I like the old hand saw, hammer and chisel technique, i did this for a bunch of encrusting monti's and some brains as well. I found that it gives the frag a more realistic appearance rather than having square chunks of coral mounted to plugs.

After i had done all of these methods, my friend bought me the Coral Propagation book by anthony Calfo for my B-day. Absolutely the best book for learning how to frag, i wish i had stumbled across this earlier. Fun to read and not so much of the scientific terminology.

90 gal SPS display+65 gallon mixed reef
GEAR: Korallin calcium reactor, bio pellets, digital aquatics controller, Tunze ATO, MP40, 4 x Tunze 6105 w/controller, Reef Octopus Xp3000 ext, 2x250w MH, Futura LED.
Old 10-11-2010, 01:47 AM

Tom R is on a distinguished road

It all started when I was cleaning the inside glass. Within a very short period of time I was fragging my corals.

Tom R
Old 10-11-2010, 02:13 AM

BlueTang<3 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatcaneyedo View Post
This isn't one of them... but I just have to post it again http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgbH04g6mXs
Wow i just actually watched that and may have learned a thing or two

360 Reef Tank