Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > DIY

Old 01-03-2011, 06:27 AM

windcoast reefs is on a distinguished road
Default LED lighting pendant

Hey everyone,
I am about to take on my first DIY project. I have decided that I really don't have enough light for my tank. So I have come up with an idea to build a LED pendant. I have a friend of mine that works for the highway service and said that he has some very large LED stop lights from a highway in vancouver. There is around 200 LED's in each light and they have individual lenses to disperse the lights, as well as put custom colors in (they are pure white and I can order in an actinic filter for them). So I have found a way to rewire it to just a standard plug and am planning on adding a aluminum reflector and hanging it from the ceiling.

Let me know what you think, I will be posting plans and photos in the coming week once I get started!
Old 01-03-2011, 05:21 PM

monocus is on a distinguished road
Default leds

you don't need a reflector-leds are directional-you would actually be making yourself a spotlight-which would light up an area about 2-3 times the size of the bulb-depending on the height from your tank
Old 01-03-2011, 07:22 PM

windcoast reefs is on a distinguished road

Okay, I see what you are getting at. I just tested the light and I seem to get about a 3 foot spread when it hangs 2 feet above the tank. It has some kinda of a lens on each LED to help diffuse it over a larger area.