Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 05-14-2010, 06:08 AM

viperfish is on a distinguished road
Default Just Got the new Aqua Medic Oceanlight T5 fixture... Much Nicer Than My TEK!

For my new build I needed a four bulb T5 fixture to supplement my halides and to use as an all day light fixture. I owned a TEK and I don't know if they have improved with the Elite but I found the build on the original was flimsy, those mounting legs were wobbly, the splash guard was nothing but a piece of acrylic that you can buy at Home Depot. and Sunlight Supply should include some sort of mounting hardware with the fixture. When I heard Aqua Medic was coming out with a new Oceanlight I had to get my hands on one. I have always been a fan of Aqua Medic, they are very high quality fixtures at a price that won't break the bank. I managed to find one out of the US and it arrived today, I fell in love with this thing as soon as I opened the box! It comes with mounting legs and a hanging kit, AB bulbs, the fixture body is tons better than the TEK, individual contoured reflectors, and LED moonlights built right in (very similar to the way Icecap has it done)! I got it for less than the price of the TEK. My four bulb unit does not have a fan but the six and eight bulb units do. I think Aqua Medic has a winner with this one! I can't wait to plug this thing in and give it a try. I'll post pics and give an update when I get it running.
Old 05-14-2010, 06:23 AM

ElGuappo is on a distinguished road

Pics?????
72 Gallon Bowfront Reef.. Hardware:2x250w Luminex Elite HQI Reflectors (Phoenix Hexarc Bulbs), Galaxy 2x250w Electronic ballast, Euroreef 130 Skimmer, Sedra KSP 7000 Retern... Live Stock: Pair of Hawaiian Flame Wrasse, Leopard Wrasse, Pink Streaked Wrasse, Pair True Percula Clowns, Potters Angel, African Flameback Angel, Orange Fin Tomini Tang, Yellow Assessor, Tailspot Blenny, Purple Firefish..

45 G FW Asain Barb Community tank.

Old 05-14-2010, 06:55 AM

Scubasteve23 is on a distinguished road

are u still up playn with that fancy new light Rod??? lol
Old 05-14-2010, 01:55 PM
Banned

gobytron is an unknown quantity at this point

So are they individual reflectors like the tek or like the sunlight supply new wave fixtures where it's one big reflector that is bent to accomodate each bulb?
Old 05-14-2010, 08:19 PM

untamed is on a distinguished road

I hope they've improved the requirements to change the bulbs. Changing bulbs on my AquaMedic OceanLight fixture is a royal PIA involving removal of 16 individual screws. Once the screws are removed, the fixture wants to collapse in on itself so you have to hold it open while you remove the glass and a portion to get access to the bulbs.
400 gal reef. Established April, 2007. 3 Sequence Dart, RM12-4 skimmer, 2 x OM4Ways, Yellow Tang, Maroon Clown (pair), Blonde Naso Tang, Vlamingi Tang, Foxface Rabbit, Unicorn Tang, 2 Pakistani Butterflies and a few coral gobies

My Tank: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=28436
Old 05-16-2010, 05:47 AM

No screws to remove at all. The cover plates are in three pieces and slide out quite easily. I posted pics in my build thread http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/sho...threadid=63787
Old 08-04-2010, 05:33 PM

steelcaveman is on a distinguished road

I am looking into the Aqua Medic T5 light for my tank.
How do you like it so far?
Do you get a shock if you touch the light?
I ask because I've heard there old light fixtures had issues.
Is it UL certified?
Really nice setup.
Old 08-04-2010, 05:44 PM

lorenz0 is on a distinguished road

ya i just did a quick search and it seems like a killer fixture. but i cant find any diamentions for the fixtures. the leds would be so worth it
Old 08-04-2010, 06:07 PM

Here is the link to the Euro site, it's a little more extensive than the North American one http://www.aqua-medic.de/seawater/en...T5%206x%20top/

I couldn't be happier with mine. I think the two features that stand out the most for me are the moonlights and the three piece glass splash cover. It's so easy to pull and clean or to access the bulbs. The hanging kit allows for the fixture to be tilted as well so bulbs can be changed in place.