Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 06-14-2010, 04:53 PM

Wingin It is on a distinguished road
Default My aquatic obsession continues...

I've always been a freshwater enthusiast. Anytime I looked at Saltwater I thought that it would be too hard, too much work and too much money. Well, ya, it is more work, and definately more money than my freshwater tanks, but I certainly enjoy watching the new tank!

I started with a used 72 gallon bowfront. I got a used Sea Clone 150 HOB skimmer and a used 48" PC lights/fixture all within my budget. I bought 2 new Koralia 3 powerheads and an older Fluval 404 canister filter. Unfortunately the fluval sprung a leak that I couldn't fix, so I had to make due with an internal filter for the time being until my upgrade is made.

I bought the internal contents of someone's 55 gallon and went to work putting it all together in my tank. Here's a pic of Day 1.

I have a hard time waiting, and being patient...I guess Saltwater tanks and me should clash, but i've been fortunate enough to not have had any crashes or deaths.

Here's a pic of my tank as of a couple days ago...I really wasn't happy with it. The rocks are just a jumble and the zoas keep getting knocked off and the rubble on the sandbed is annoying. My orange spot goby likes to destroy everything and I was getting peturbed.

Then I saw how someone made their rocks look amazing and thought I could do better. So I got myself some more rock, probably 40 more pounds of it, and went to work. This is my latest look.

Old 06-14-2010, 05:13 PM

trinac is on a distinguished road

Hey! Great improvement there!!!

Trina
Old 06-14-2010, 06:28 PM
Gold Member

mseepman is on a distinguished road

One of the first things you're going to want to do is to watch the forums for a good used skimmer. Being that you're in Calgary, there are a ton of reefers there and you should be able to find one. The seaclone that you have is one of the worst on the market and will probably let you down in the long run.

Othewise, looking good!

290g Peninsula Display, 425g total volume. Setup Jan 2013.
Old 06-14-2010, 07:08 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

New rockwork is really nice. I like those two feet/columns stretching forward from the pile. Fish should enjoy all the hiding spots too.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinac View Post
Hey! Great improvement there!!!
Thanks Trina...i'm trying! If you look really hard you can see the birds nest you gave me! Thanks for that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mseepman View Post
One of the first things you're going to want to do is to watch the forums for a good used skimmer. Being that you're in Calgary, there are a ton of reefers there and you should be able to find one. The seaclone that you have is one of the worst on the market and will probably let you down in the long run.

Othewise, looking good!
Thanks! I do realize I will need a good skimmer...but for the first tank, I didn't want to be one of those people that spent a schwack of money on the thing and then decided that SW wasn't for me. So now that i'm ok with it...a new/better skimmer is in the plans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastlight View Post
New rockwork is really nice. I like those two feet/columns stretching forward from the pile. Fish should enjoy all the hiding spots too.
Thanks! It took me awhile to get the rocks to a suitable, non-wobbly position. So for the time being, until something makes me tear it all apart and do it again, I won't! lol I really wanted to try the whole, "acrylic rod" thing like another member did, but my husband wasn't wanting to get his drill out...lol (does that sound wierd??)
I think the engineer goby must be hard at work 'cause I have yet to see him except for once since the change happened on Sunday afternoon and the tile fish are seemingly happy.
Old 06-14-2010, 11:06 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Looks like you've got lots of room to grow stuff :-)
Old 06-14-2010, 11:08 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingin It View Post
my husband wasn't wanting to get his drill out...lol (does that sound wierd??)
Whaddya mean?
Old 06-14-2010, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kien View Post
Looks like you've got lots of room to grow stuff :-)
Yes Kien, I do have lots of room to grow stuff!! LOL *hint, hint*
If you look carefully you'll see the awesome GSP you gave me in the left corner on the sand bed. The Tomato Clowns love making it mad! hahaha
Old 07-03-2010, 02:00 PM

I'm about to do a small jump upgrade, from the 72 bowfront to a custom 110 gallon. We built the tank and it's been tested for leaks (None, Yay!) and we just put the center brace on. Now to make a stand for it (uuugghhh) and somehow make the swap. The new tank is 4' x 2' x 21" (I think..haha). It will certainly give my fish more open swimming room!
Old 07-03-2010, 02:13 PM
acanthastrea freak

Skimmerking is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Skimmerking Send a message via MSN to Skimmerking

See I thought that you were a guy so your name should read MRS wingin it

What upgrading already, I can't speak, shame on you. while you are at it go 280 long is the key just tell the hubby it has to be long its in the constitution of reef keeping.

looks great love the rock work.