Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 01-23-2010, 02:16 AM

patpare is on a distinguished road
Default Dinoflagnet problem

How the Hell do i get ride of this stuff.I have cleaned every piece of liverock out of the main tank,cleaned everything in the tank(powerheads ect.),changed salt from I.O to R.B.S,all my levels are in check.
Please any help and advice would be GREATLY appreciated,before all my S.P.S die
Old 01-23-2010, 03:25 AM

Gools is on a distinguished road

I feel your pain, I lost all my corals, clean up crew, shrimp, and a couple fish. It lasted well over a year and a half. Nothing I could do but ride out the storm. Best advise I can give is setup a new tank and move all your corals. As long as your sure it's dinoflaglettes.
Old 01-23-2010, 04:00 AM
Gold Member

mseepman is on a distinguished road

I've been researching this stuff quite a bit and it seems that people have had a fair amount of luck with raising their PH to about 8.6 which seems to help it die down quite significantly.

Amazingly enough, some evidence points to the tank being too nutrient free which lets the dino's take over from other bacteria.

290g Peninsula Display, 425g total volume. Setup Jan 2013.
Old 01-23-2010, 06:58 AM

burgerchow is on a distinguished road
Default dinos

you need to raise magnesium and do total ( and I mean complete) blackout of the tank for 3 or 4 days. That's how I got rid of my dinos.

120 , lps. 2xKessil A350W Tuna Blues, 2xvortech mp40 for flow,aqualogic 1/4 hp chiller, 160 lbs live rock. sohal, , pair of percs,flame dotty back , royal gramma, pair of black percs, niger trigger, mandarin

55 corner bowfront freshwater, African cichlids kessil a350

30 gal 36x36 coffee table fish tank. 3 red ear sliders.

5.5 gal nano, live rock, arrow crab, baby perc, firefish.
Old 01-23-2010, 07:29 AM

ScubaSteve is on a distinguished road

There's a few ways to do it. Total balck out is one way, pH is another... just keep in mind that what ever you do is going to stess your live stock (blackout will stress the s*** out of SPS). Start with the less stressful and work your way up. Maybe start fresh or move your coral to a temporary tank while you battle dinoflaglettes like Mothra versus Godzilla so that your nice SPS don't get caught in the crossfire.

I know it's not a common method, but what helped me get right of mine was LOW aeration and, of all things, iodine. It seemed whenever I dosed a little bit with iodine the stuff would die back. Now, I'm not saying dump a whole ton of iodine in there. I'm just saying that's what I saw. I found from experience and from other people's observations that high aeration (ie. high CO2) promotes dino growth. Make sure your water level is right and that your pump, filter, whatever isn't dragging a ton of bubbles into the water.