Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 03-31-2010, 09:39 PM
Vendor

Red Coral Aquariums is on a distinguished road
Default Diving Cert. Calgary

Some suggestions and recommendations where in Calgary to get a scuba diving cert.

Thanks
Kevin
Old 03-31-2010, 09:50 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Speaking as only someone who's looked into it, and not done it .. the three big names that always come up are 1) The Dive Shop (www.diveshopscuba.com) 2) Adventures In SCUBA (www.adventuresinsuca.com) and 3) Aquasport (www.aquasportscuba.com)

I think all 3 have top rated reputations. For what it's worth though, the last time I looked into this, Aquasport had the best prices on courses and equipment hands-down.

Also Aquasport, being in Marda Loop, may be easier to get to from the NW than the other two, which are both on Macleod Trail.
Old 03-31-2010, 10:02 PM

andestang is on a distinguished road

My wife did her's through Aquasport when they did a coarse up at Jasper. I just sat in on it seeing I had my certificates and they seemed pretty decent. You headed somewhere Kevin ? I think you deserve it !

150g reef, 55g sump, T5's, Vertech 200A, Profilux III - German made is highly over rated, should just say Gerpan made.

Reefkeeper - individual obsessed with placing disturbing amounts of electricity and seawater in close proximity for the purpose of maintaining live coral reef organisms.
Old 04-01-2010, 12:01 AM

sitandwatch is on a distinguished road

I got certified at the Dive Shop and felt it was really well done.

The Dive Shop and Aquasport are owned by the same people.

Adventures in Scuba has the nicest facility.

If its for you Aquasport would be the closest and Adventures in Scuba the farthest.

Note, ask where they do there open water dives I prefer the ones done in lake minnewanka not lake sundance.

Have fun
Old 04-01-2010, 12:10 AM

Fishward is on a distinguished road

I did mine at The Dive Shop too. Great staff, good pool, and great deals for WJ staff! If you have a choice do your course with Bill (id he's still teaching)- extremely experienced diver. Also, this may just be a personal preference, but doing your "open water" dives on location is the way to go. I won't dive in any water you need something more than a 3mm suit, so doing certification at lake minnewanka was not an option haha.
Old 04-01-2010, 12:30 AM

Zoaelite is on a distinguished road

I did mine @ the Dive shop, my in class instructor was Al Romer I recommend him to anyone that wants to certify (He's pretty much worth the money just for the laughs).
Old 04-01-2010, 01:41 AM

Treebeard is on a distinguished road

I did my classroom and pool training compliments of my wife who is a certified Naui instructor. I did one open water qualifying dive in Waterton, two off Vancouver Island and two in Akumal. I agree with you about not diving in the cold mud in Alberta, as my wife calls it, but the diving around Vancouver Island is awesome! We dove in 7mm suits and although my wife was cold near the end, I was comfy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishward View Post
I did mine at The Dive Shop too. Great staff, good pool, and great deals for WJ staff! If you have a choice do your course with Bill (id he's still teaching)- extremely experienced diver. Also, this may just be a personal preference, but doing your "open water" dives on location is the way to go. I won't dive in any water you need something more than a 3mm suit, so doing certification at lake minnewanka was not an option haha.
Old 04-01-2010, 04:56 AM

Argentiner is on a distinguished road

I know Darrin at the Dive Shop and he is a fantastic instructor. I think they are the best priced in the city as well, but don't quote me on that.
Old 04-07-2010, 07:10 PM

BCOrchidGuy is on a distinguished road

Not sure about Naui but if you take your course through a Padi shop you can do your class room and pool work locally and then go somewhere warm to do your open water dives. Somewhere warmm... warm water.... but honestly as someone else said the diving around Vancouver Island is some of the best in the world.

Doug