Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > DIY

Old 02-27-2010, 08:41 AM

ickmagnet is on a distinguished road
Default Sump Questions

So I have a 55g ( I think ) glass aquarium that I will be using as a sump for my tank. It is 36" l x 18" w. I plan on making it fairly basic with the protein skimmer and overflow return in the same chamber. Just a quick question; How high do the bubble trap baffles have to be and how far should I space them apart? Should they just be a few inches shorter than the height of the tank? I'm hearing everything from 1/2 the height of the tank to 3/4 height of the tank to a few inches less than height of the tank Also, should I space them about an inch apart from each other?

Thanks
Old 02-27-2010, 09:01 AM

Bloodasp is on a distinguished road

i just measured how high my pump is and added a couple of inches. Idea is that you should have enough space for the back flow in case your pump suddenly shuts down but high enough that your pump does not run dry. For the spacing i roughly estimated half an inch between baffles, That's just wasted space if you put too much gap in between i think.

Last edited by Bloodasp; 02-27-2010 at 09:04 AM.
Old 02-27-2010, 02:41 PM

toxic111 is on a distinguished road

Mine are set up at 9" in a 16"h tank. I also spaced them 1.5" apart. That way you can pull out your spacers to hold up the glass while curing. Also it will allow you to get things out if it falls in. Been working great for me.