Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 09-03-2003, 07:26 PM

Son Of Skyline is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Son Of Skyline Send a message via MSN to Son Of Skyline
Default Fan over sump?

Would a fan blowing over a sump in a cabinet be as effective in reducing tank temps as a fan blowing in the hood? We're talking possibly reducing temps in a 120gal by 3-4 degrees? I have a fan in my hood now but it's not doing the job by itself. My canopy setup doesn't allow any additional fans however, so I'm wondering if I should bother buying a cheap house fan and sticking it over my sump instead, or shell out more dollars for a higher powered, thin fan to replace the one I have now in the hood.

Cheers..
Old 09-03-2003, 08:30 PM

Quinn is on a distinguished road

I have two 6" clip-on fans from Canadian Tire running over my sump, and if they are not on, my tank temperature rises very quickly. The two 4.5" fans in my hood don't seem to affect water temperature at all, but I think they are useful just for moving evaporating water out of the canopy and so on.

Man, n. ...His chief occupation is extermination of other animals and his own species, which, however, multiplies with such insistent rapidity as to infest the whole habitable earth, and Canada. - A. Bierce, Devil's Dictionary, 1906
Old 09-03-2003, 08:54 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Son Of Skyline Send a message via MSN to Son Of Skyline

Thanks Quinn! I think I'll go out and get a clip on fan today.

PS. I just spent a weekend in Red Deer for racing (National Autox Champs). Great town! It's amazing how much stuff was packed into the one street we stayed on (forgot the street name already). Those little tiny bugs that land on you in groups of hundreds were a little freaky for us Vancouverites, but it gave the Albertans we were with a good laugh when we ran around screaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by teevee
I have two 6" clip-on fans from Canadian Tire running over my sump, and if they are not on, my tank temperature rises very quickly. The two 4.5" fans in my hood don't seem to affect water temperature at all, but I think they are useful just for moving evaporating water out of the canopy and so on.
Old 09-03-2003, 09:32 PM

LostMind is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to LostMind

Without my fan blowing on my sump, the temp gets up to 85 in a couple hours. With the fan blowing on the sump, it stays at a nice 81.5

hth
Old 09-03-2003, 10:40 PM

You were probably downtown where all the bars are? There is a whole strip of them down there. What's autox? Import racing?

Man, n. ...His chief occupation is extermination of other animals and his own species, which, however, multiplies with such insistent rapidity as to infest the whole habitable earth, and Canada. - A. Bierce, Devil's Dictionary, 1906
Old 09-04-2003, 12:08 AM

Jack is on a distinguished road

How much do those Clip-on fans cost?

Walmart has a desk fan for 6$. I think its 6".
Old 09-04-2003, 01:04 AM

Imports do race, but it's not exactly "import racing". Here's some multimedia on Solo racing (autox or autocross is a form of solo racing). I basically do the stuff in these vids. Autox is the ones with the cones.

http://www.vcmc.ca/multimedia/multimedia.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by teevee
What's autox? Import racing?
Old 09-04-2003, 01:16 AM

Samw is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack
How much do those Clip-on fans cost?

Walmart has a desk fan for 6$. I think its 6".

I got one from a Dollar store for about $20. It seized up after a year (3-4 months of use). This summer, I bought one from Canadian Tire for about $15. Its a Windmere. The one from Dollar Store was a no-name brand I think.

This is what I use now. Seems pretty decent.

http://www.windmere.com/products/dis...duct.asp?id=46
Old 09-04-2003, 02:02 AM

My fans were about $15. They still work after about three months but they are covered in salt creep and are rusting now.

Interesting stuff. Where did they hold the races here? I wouldn't have thought Red Deer had particularly spectacular roads, although there are a lot of crotch rocket and import racers around here (they keep dying).

Old 09-04-2003, 02:28 AM

LostMind is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to LostMind

autox is some cool stuff. Too bad my car is auto - sucks for coming out of the turns...