Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 10-09-2009, 06:18 AM

banditpowdercoat is on a distinguished road
Default kalk Q's

OK, got some kalk Q's hoep they dont seem to newbish LOL I might want to start dosing kalk.

I read about dripping Kalk as topoff water. But is pumping water via a ATO ok too? I have a automated ATO that utilizes one reservoir feeding 2 different SW tanks. It works perfectly so dont want to mess with it. Is it OK to pump RO through the Kalk res? Will it dilute it to much? I think it's less then .5g that is used for the ATO to trigger on my 150g tank.

Also, how does one know how much kalk to put in the res? I know testing, but daily testing?is there a formula? I dont have much for SPS, But more coming all the time

And any good links to DIY Kalk reactors/stirrers?

Thx in advance

Umm, a tank or 5
Old 10-09-2009, 01:35 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

I find Kalk a pain in the butt because the tank always seems to vary the amount it is getting topped up. You can just add the kalk to the RO in your ATO. I think I had started on the careful side with 1/2 tsp per gallon. Try something like that, and test daily until you figure out where to keep it. It's a pain in the butt to dial in.

SPS fanatic.

Old 10-09-2009, 03:21 PM

banditpowdercoat is on a distinguished road

If it's a pain, why do so many do it??

Oh, and it's only Calcium that it suppliments?? I'll still have to add MG won't I?

Im just sarting with some SPS now and not sure what's the best way?

Umm, a tank or 5

Last edited by banditpowdercoat; 10-09-2009 at 03:55 PM.
Old 10-09-2009, 04:04 PM

Gizmo is on a distinguished road

I run both a Kalk Reactor and a Calcium Reactor. It keeps the Calcium levels high, alkalinity balanced and the PH controlled (because Kalk and Calcium effluent has opposite effects on PH) I find this the best way to control the Ph while keeping Calcium levels up for SPS and other calcium rich life (clams etc). I'm using Precision Marine gear for both. Oh, and if you like the "set and forget" stuff, this is a great way to go. I just add some Kalk powder every 2 to 3 weeks.
Old 10-09-2009, 07:26 PM

untamed is on a distinguished road

I also run both Kalk (in a reactor) and a Ca Reactor. Unlike many, I don't supply Kalk all the time in my top-off water. In my case, Kalk is pumped in only at night using a peristaltic pump. This helps stabilize the pH drop at night and also allows me to control exactly how much Kalk gets added as it is not related to evaporation (which changes).

I have to add additional Kalk powder to my Kalk reactor every 10-14 days even though there is a significant amount of undissolved stuff on the bottom of the reactor. Expect this, because it is normal.
400 gal reef. Established April, 2007. 3 Sequence Dart, RM12-4 skimmer, 2 x OM4Ways, Yellow Tang, Maroon Clown (pair), Blonde Naso Tang, Vlamingi Tang, Foxface Rabbit, Unicorn Tang, 2 Pakistani Butterflies and a few coral gobies

My Tank: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=28436