Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 11-20-2011, 07:12 PM

neebs is on a distinguished road
Default RSM 130d - Getting started, baby steps

Hi all,
I’m new to posting on this site and planning on getting into the hobby. This is my first post to the forum, and I wanted to say thanks for all the information all of you have been putting up, if it wasn’t for forums like these I probably wouldn’t feel comfortable getting into the hobby (I have no friends that are even remotely interested).

I plan on doing things very very slowly (partly because I know very very little) and researching things and trying not to get too excited and impatient. I am set on buying a red sea max 130d – the only reason I haven’t bought it yet is because I want to buy other components first (if I had it in my possession already most certainly would dive in too fast).

So far I have only purchased 40 lbs of reef saver rock from bulk reef supply (yesterday). Price wasn’t my primary motivation here – really trying to reduce frustration with hitchhikers and the like. Though I am still researching my options here (very open to other opinions) I plan on cycling using Dr. Tim’s One and Only Live Nitrifying Bacteria and ammonium chloride.

My next step (task of the week) is figuring out my RO water system and my substrate:

Substrate:
Never thought that buying sand would be so confusing, the more I read the more confused I get. The following are a few of my thoughts and considerations: (i) I like white sand – I like the contrast that it with what I hope to be a colourful tank; (ii) I want a bed that will eventually help with filtration; (iii) I don’t want too deep of a bed because the 130L tank is pretty small, and I don’t want to take up a ton of room; (iv) I want to put in a wave maker (my research focus in a couple of weeks) and I don’t want sand swirling around too much; (v) I want a goby and they seem to like sand; (vi) I like the idea that aragonite buffers the water and adds calcium (apparently that’s a good thing); and (vii) I want a sand that is easy to clean.

With that in mind I am leaning towards Tropic Eden Reeflakes Aragonite Sand bed that is about 3 inches deep. Lots of people seem to suggest the CaribSea Dry Aragonite Special Reef Sand, however from the pictures I have seen it doesn’t seem that white.

Would love to hear other’s experience with that sand, or recommendations for other sand…including how much to actually order.

Reverse Osmosis:
The Condo I bought 5 years ago came with a reverse osmosis system already installed (http://www.purificare.com/en/water/sqc-pc). Does anyone have this - I think its a Canadian company.

I haven’t been using it so it obviously needs new filters before I do. It looks pretty fancy, but does anyone have any recommendations as to how I would determine if this product is good enough for a tank? Also is it important to get a unit that deionizes too? One thought is that the replacement filters are pretty expensive anyways, maybe it would just make sense to buy a new unit. If that is the case would anyone have any recommendations for a reasonably priced, but good system (doesn’t have to do a lot of output) that would great water that wouldn’t put extra pressure on the tank?

Thanks for all your help, whether you respond to my thread or just post to this forum.
Old 11-20-2011, 07:32 PM

ponokareefer is on a distinguished road

Welcome to canreef! A RSM130 is a great way to get into the hobby, so I hope you enjoy it!

Sand is a confusing topic to me still. I own a RSM130 and have about 2.5 inches of white sand in there due to the fact that I wanted a sand dwelling anemone as the centre piece. I'm sure others will chime in with their opinions. My opinion on sand is to look at what you want to put in the tank. If something benefits/needs sand, add it. If not, try going without to see if you like it. You can always add it later.

It is a good idea to get a few add on's for the RSM130. Here is a link to someone on canreef selling 3 of them.

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/sho...ighlight=steve

Believe me, they will make your experience much better for the RSM130.

I don't know alot about RO units except that I have one. I'll let someone else chime in on that unit if it is good enough or not. I personally feel that a good RO unit is an essential item for a salt water system.
Old 11-20-2011, 08:02 PM

neebs is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the quick reply ponokareefer, there are certainly a few add-ons that I am going to seriously consider for my tanks... in order of priority:
Soon:
Tunze 9002 protein skimmer with the intank media rack
Vortech MP10ES or another wavemaker

Sooner Rather than Later:
Maybe some lighting LED mod (haven’t really done any research on this yet)

Later:
Some sort of controller
Refugium (thinking the life reef - but hopefully can find something cheaper -http://www.lifereef.com/nano.html)

just trying to focus on a few things at a time.... each decision seems to involve a number of considerations - at this point i`m considering doing most of these mods more because other people are doing it as opposed to actually understanding why they are a good idea or worth the investment.