Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > DIY

Old 08-09-2009, 05:28 PM

Eyford01 is on a distinguished road
Default Custom building a sump

Hi everybody! I'm looking to add a sump to my 55g and I have nowhere to hide it so I was thinking of having a large standing column if water right next to the tank, I was thinking 12" x 12" by 48" tall to make about 30g, I realize this is a very unusual size and shape but I have it planned out and I think it would look pretty cool, however my problem is what material to use glass or acrylic and what thickness I need, all info i've found says depth is the deciding factor for thickness but if it's 12" x 12" will I be able to safely get away with thinner material than the charts on the net, cost is important at the moment unfortunately and I'm considering just using a plastic tote as a temporary stand in, any suggestions are appreciated thanks!
Old 08-09-2009, 05:36 PM

mark is on a distinguished road

For volume only, neat idea the 12x12" but one of the purposes of a sump is to hide away the equipment. Wouldn't matter for a heater, but skimmers usually need a constant water height so would need to sit near the top, then with without baffles the height would be continuously changing with evap unless a ATO.
Old 08-09-2009, 07:42 PM

Eyford01 is on a distinguished road

Actually an ATO is the next project in line after the sump, and then after that a cold water tank with a mini fridge chiller to be filled with critters from the coast near prince Rupert and then.... Wait... which one am I on now?