Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 08-07-2009, 07:49 PM

megs_clark is on a distinguished road
Default rock with aptasia, can i kill it in one shot?

I was curiouse. I bought some extra rock with aptasia on it. It was such a nice shape with lots of caves and holes. I currently have it in a spare tank with a powerhead blowing on it. My actual running tank doesnt have any aptasia in it right now and im trying to keep it that way. So my question is is their anything i can do to the rock before putting it in my tank to kill the aptasia in one shot. Theirs nothing on the rock that im worried about saving so i was wondering about dipping it in boiling water. Or raising the salt level in the spare tank for a bit?
When i seen it in the persons tank it had quite a bit larger aptasia growing. They had told me it was easy to kill so i bought it foolishly and after reading on here it sounds like i should not have. I had it in a dark bucket with just the power heads for just over a week. Now that its in a aquarium with light i cant see any, i thought i had seen a small one but then i looked again and it was gone. Are they hiding?? I dont want to cook it for months, but dont mind waiting it out a couple weeks just thoughts id see if anyone else had ever done anything sucsessfully in one shot without having to go through with joes juice.
Old 08-07-2009, 08:18 PM

ElGuappo is on a distinguished road

i always dry the rock and then cook it. IMO the only way to be sure that its all dead.
72 Gallon Bowfront Reef.. Hardware:2x250w Luminex Elite HQI Reflectors (Phoenix Hexarc Bulbs), Galaxy 2x250w Electronic ballast, Euroreef 130 Skimmer, Sedra KSP 7000 Retern... Live Stock: Pair of Hawaiian Flame Wrasse, Leopard Wrasse, Pink Streaked Wrasse, Pair True Percula Clowns, Potters Angel, African Flameback Angel, Orange Fin Tomini Tang, Yellow Assessor, Tailspot Blenny, Purple Firefish..

45 G FW Asain Barb Community tank.

Old 08-07-2009, 11:07 PM

scherzo is on a distinguished road

You could cook cook the rock for longer. Or borrow a peppermint shrimp and put it in in your QT with the rock.

Last edited by scherzo; 08-07-2009 at 11:26 PM.
Old 08-08-2009, 03:59 AM

Navarchus is on a distinguished road

You can dissolve aquarium salt until it almost not soluble!!!
Then dip the rock in it for 15-30 minutes.
Old 08-10-2009, 04:51 AM

Coleus is on a distinguished road
Default Go

i used concentrate lemon juice and seem to kill it unless it is hiding somewhere else in the dark
________
SPANISH GIRL LIVE

Last edited by Coleus; 04-30-2011 at 04:53 AM.
Old 08-10-2009, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coleus View Post
i used concentrate lemon juice and seem to kill it unless it is hiding somewhere else in the dark
i have heard this before. does it really work that good? are just reffering to store bought lemon juice. i cant remember brands but it comes in a green bottle or the same as the suff in the plastice lemon?
72 Gallon Bowfront Reef.. Hardware:2x250w Luminex Elite HQI Reflectors (Phoenix Hexarc Bulbs), Galaxy 2x250w Electronic ballast, Euroreef 130 Skimmer, Sedra KSP 7000 Retern... Live Stock: Pair of Hawaiian Flame Wrasse, Leopard Wrasse, Pink Streaked Wrasse, Pair True Percula Clowns, Potters Angel, African Flameback Angel, Orange Fin Tomini Tang, Yellow Assessor, Tailspot Blenny, Purple Firefish..

Old 08-10-2009, 04:59 AM

Coleus is on a distinguished road
Default Go

I bought the Realemon (lemon concentrate) from Sobie
________
Georgian Recipes

Last edited by Coleus; 04-30-2011 at 04:54 AM.
Old 08-10-2009, 05:01 AM

ty

Old 08-10-2009, 01:29 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

I use a blow torch on single rocks that are bothering me. I just blow torched one rock of mine that started growing like 5 different kinds of random algae. After blow torching I put it in a bucket of saltwater with a powerhead and heater for a couple weeks to make sure any die off doesn't cause a mini cycle in the tank. Then I test the water the rock is in for ammonia, nitrite (optional), nitrate, and phosphate. If all is 0 I put the rock back in the tank.

SPS fanatic.

Old 08-10-2009, 03:36 PM

megs_clark is on a distinguished road

HAHA, gotta say, thats a funny picture, blow torching the little buggers away! I have tons of them though. After i posted the add, the next day i started to see tons in every nook and crany, its crazy. Some are aptasia and some look a little different. Like darker brown and the look stiffer, and thiner but look the same otherwise. Do you think i could turn the oven on broil and let it heat up then just put the rock in for a a few mins? Kinda like a blow torch but then the heat would be getting everywhere? I just picked up a 72 gallon that im going to need to cycle once i figure out were to drill it for a herbie overflow so i was thinking of either doing the broiling in the oven, or a quick dip in boiling water and then letting it cycle for a bit longer in the tank since its going to need to cycle for 6 weeks or so anyways, and add some of my crushed coral from my current tank to seed it to get a little bacteria going on a couple weeks? Do you think that would work?