Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 04-15-2009, 01:39 AM

Ephraim is on a distinguished road
Default Eunicid Worm

You always see these horror stories on reefing forums of people pulling these monsters out of thier tanks. I always thought to myself that this could never happen to me, there no way something that big and evil could get away with not being noticed in my tank. Today I learned I was wrong...

For the last couple months mushrooms and random soft corals have been nipped and chewed on, it's been quite annoying. I assumed it was a crab because it looked like something was pulling chunks off. When I came home from work today i did my manditory tank look over, and i see this thing hanging out from the rocks, near my sand anemone. I looked to be dead, so i grabbed it with the tongs and pulled it out of the rocks. It started to twitch and move a bit when i pulled it out before breaking in half(got both ends out). I think it may have gotten caught up in the 'nem and gotten stunned. It wasn't as big as some of the big 'uns i've seen pictures but it was big enough to almost make me hurl. About 6" long and as thick as my index finger. Pretty sure I got the whole thing out, the back end looked intact.

Sorry I dont have any pics, i felt the intense need to flush this evil mofo immediately down the toilet. Gross, soooo freaking gross... I wont be sticking my hands in the tank for a little while.....ugh
Old 04-15-2009, 02:31 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Yuck...

Just today I saw a small worm that I am worried is a baby Eunicid. It is very small right now, but looks like it has the "face" of a Eunicid.

SPS fanatic.

Old 04-15-2009, 03:04 AM

golf nut is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
Yuck...

Just today I saw a small worm that I am worried is a baby Eunicid. It is very small right now, but looks like it has the "face" of a Eunicid.

You mean a face only a mother could love.
Old 04-15-2009, 04:36 AM

Funky_Fish14 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Funky_Fish14

Sorry to hear you lost some corals to it!

Not ALL eunice sp. are bad however. Infact a large part of the genus are detrivores... the one in my tank must be, because I've never lost a single coral from being munched! Mine is also over 20" Long. He has never touched anything in my tank.