Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Regional Forums > Alberta > Calgary

Old 06-12-2003, 02:07 PM

Quinn is on a distinguished road
Default J&L group order

i'm going to be placing an order for some snails in the next week and a half or so from J&L. if anyone wants some stuff, let's get ourselves organized for a group order.

edmontonians, because there's less of you, i expect more interest from calgarians. however if no calgarians are interested, i will have my stuff shipped to edmonton instead of calgary. if the order does go to calgary, you can still get some stuff and pick it up from my place or something like that.

Man, n. ...His chief occupation is extermination of other animals and his own species, which, however, multiplies with such insistent rapidity as to infest the whole habitable earth, and Canada. - A. Bierce, Devil's Dictionary, 1906
Old 06-12-2003, 02:17 PM

spikehs is on a distinguished road

I am interested...As soon as my tank is ready I want to put some of that stuff in, I am putting all the rock, sand and sw in this weekend so hopefully it'll cycle quickly. Does anyone know if they carry conchs?
Old 06-12-2003, 02:25 PM

it appears they do not, however seacare does, and i plan to place an order with them in early july (for conchs and a few cowries).

as far as J&L goes, i will call them today and let them know that there is going to be a group order. spike will you be ready to order around the 20th?

Man, n. ...His chief occupation is extermination of other animals and his own species, which, however, multiplies with such insistent rapidity as to infest the whole habitable earth, and Canada. - A. Bierce, Devil's Dictionary, 1906
Old 06-12-2003, 02:31 PM

spikehs is on a distinguished road

probably not...I don't THINK the tank will have cycled by then, if it has then i am in, but 1 weekish is pretty quick, maybe i'll hold off untill the seacare order (I wanted to get some frags from them as well).. what kind of algae are cowries good for?
Old 06-12-2003, 02:42 PM

i'm not too sure. i haven't looked into them too much, but i have heard they seem to be more durable than snails. i'm starting out with a very small cleaning crew, just to see how it goes in general.

Old 06-12-2003, 04:02 PM

Buccaneer is on a distinguished road

Is there no LFS that carry fighting Conches ? ... I am in the market for some too

Cheers

“The most important decision you make is to be in a good mood.”
― Voltaire
Old 06-12-2003, 04:56 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

I have seen "fighting conches" at Wai's.

The only thing is some of them were on the glass. I've never (and I mean never) seen mine leave the sand. Makes me think they're different species.

Last I heard, J&L didn't sell them. I think at a time they did sell "queen conches" but I'm not sure if they still do (worthy of emailing them and asking if you're interested. Bear in mind queen conches are supposed to get quite large, probably too large for the likes of some tanks.) Seacare sold "strawberry conches" which I think are a third species yet. I could be wrong, I haven't been in the market for one for a while so I'm not current. I got mine from SWC, and at the time I got mine, SWC was the only really reliable supplier of "fighting conches" that you could be sure he'd have some available on a regular basis, plus that you could be sure that you were in fact getting a "fighting conch" and not something else. But, like I said, that was easily a year ago or so, and so that was then, this is now. My knowledge is no longer current!
Old 06-12-2003, 08:06 PM

Bob I is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus
I have seen "fighting conches" at Wai's.

The only thing is some of them were on the glass. I've never (and I mean never) seen mine leave the sand. Makes me think they're different species.
I bought a Fighting Conch from SWC last year, and in all the time I had it in my tank, it NEVER left the sand. I have heard that Queen Conches will leave the bottom. The problem is how big they grow. Even my FC grew to over three inches in a very short time.

---------Homer Simpson--------
Old 06-13-2003, 03:09 AM

EmilyB is on a distinguished road

I bought two fighting conchs from sea care - dry packed - brought home-acclimated slowly. They crawled away fine, I found one shell. Never seen the other.

I have no predators. What do you figure went wrong there? At $14.95 each, it was a sting to not know the problem.
Old 06-13-2003, 03:30 AM

Tau2301 is on a distinguished road

My couchs disappeared for a couple of months - thought they had gone to the big toilet in the sky.

Then lo and behold, they both appeared one day and have been around the front of the tank ever since.

You didn't mention if the shell you found was full or not.
there is an equal and opposite revision.