Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 03-30-2009, 05:53 AM

Powertec is on a distinguished road
Default Need opinion on rescued dog

We'll i will try and make this short. We rescued a 2.5 yr old Australian Shepherd. We are well experienced in this breed.After a fairly rough 2 months in regards to blowing her coat,not eating and general dislike of our puppy we seemed to get her settled to where all those things were dealt with. She is on quality food(Evo all natural). What i gather is that she was rescued at about a year and then had a few litters of pups and now here she is.She has an appointment to be spayed April 10th.

Sooo all in all she had to fight with the older female dog that the previous owners had on a regular bases for food,attention etc and just basic need to be top dog.I also trully believe this poor girl has been beat..She is very timid and has come out of her shell abit but is still just not an Aussie in any way.She won't really play or chew on anything for that matter...Getting her to eat is still a chore but she does.All she pretty much does is sleep.

So the reason for this is today she has decided that we are afraid of the deck. She was fine with the deck last night but today nope won't do it. She goes out after i pretty much coax her out but she just stands there head down. She has to use the deck as the potty as we are in a brand new house and have no grass front or back yet so it seemed better to replace deck boards than carpet from muddy paws. We have been here a month and never had a problem untill today.

Truly i am at a loss with her. It has been a long couple months trying to get her settled and then this...There was nothing out there last night to scare her no dogs,loud bangs nothing i just don't get it..

Any ideas how to help this girl?
Old 03-30-2009, 06:18 AM

my2rotties is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to my2rotties Send a message via Yahoo to my2rotties

I am a firm believer in Cesar Milan, the man is a blessing to help people understand their dogs much better. If you can catch his show on Geographic or borrow his books form the library it would be an asset to you and your dog. Bless you for rescuing a dog in need. I have done it many times and have taken a beaten and cast dog and made them into a stable family member. There is nothing more rewarding then saving a life and making a dog fulfill it's need to be loved by humans.

I am now looking for my next rescue Rottweiler, since my old guy passed away this fall. He was thrown away and to this day I will never understand why someone would have done it to my boy. RIP Sabre... we still miss you so much.

I'm sure you will get a lot of advise but I really do believe in Cesar and have used methods similar to his before he became main stream. Now I watch his show and still get so much enlightenment from what he does and how he does it. Good luck with your girl... I'm sure things will smooth out shortly.
Old 03-30-2009, 02:08 PM

leezard is on a distinguished road

So. She was rescued, and the rescuers let her have a million puppies? Not much of a rescue!!

Off that note... my vote would be to just keep it up.... coax her out and just give her all the love in the world once she's there. Rescues are tough -- some things work better than others. Some need dominance training, and others are so timid that any dominance exerted makes them urinate.

The key is consistency. If you keep changing things and don't have a routine, they're going to become confused and scared. If they can get that routine, however, they'll feel a level of comfort, because they know what to expect next. It just takes time -- sometimes ALOT of time.

Good for you for taking her in. I'm sure she'll come around to you, and I'm especially happy to hear that she's getting spayed soon! That might also help with some of the behavior.
Old 03-30-2009, 02:27 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

For the immediate issue, high value treats tossed onto the deck. Lots of love, listen to the dog. She probably has things to say, your job is to listen and hear her out. Build respect, with it comes trust. 2 months can't undo 2 years. Patience is the key.
Old 03-30-2009, 03:03 PM

andestang is on a distinguished road

For being a high energy breed what exercise routine have you started with her? I imagine with her recent past she probably didn't get what she really needed along with a proper diet. I believe a dog that is in proper physical condition will be a lot more stable mentally and behave like the breed they are.

150g reef, 55g sump, T5's, Vertech 200A, Profilux III - German made is highly over rated, should just say Gerpan made.

Reefkeeper - individual obsessed with placing disturbing amounts of electricity and seawater in close proximity for the purpose of maintaining live coral reef organisms.
Old 03-30-2009, 03:18 PM

[quote=leezard;405671]So. She was rescued, and the rescuers let her have a million puppies? Not much of a rescue!!

I know a little sickening hey!!! Figured they could make some money apparently She has MAJOR dog aggression. Great with people,kids etc..But another dog nope not a good thing.I think that relates back to the older dog they had that she was fighting for dominance with all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
For the immediate issue, high value treats tossed onto the deck. Lots of love, listen to the dog. She probably has things to say, your job is to listen and hear her out. Build respect, with it comes trust. 2 months can't undo 2 years. Patience is the key.
I have tried the treats She is trully a very odd dog. Food is a weird spot for her. Sometimes she will eat other times it is a no go.
The sad part with her is like they sucked the puppy right out of her. Locked her in a pen and breed her and that was it. And she is the sweetest dog. Very well behaved just isn't sure of herself in anything she does. Reminds me of a person with low self esteem.
Old 03-30-2009, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andestang View Post
For being a high energy breed what exercise routine have you started with her? I imagine with her recent past she probably didn't get what she really needed along with a proper diet. I believe a dog that is in proper physical condition will be a lot more stable mentally and behave like the breed they are.
We started with long walks etc at the begginning and then she went into heat. And it was the longest heat i have ever experienced
And i wanted to make sure that there was no chance that she would ever have to endure another litter.
So now that we are almost to the safe point we will be going back to daily walks etc...She has no idea what a ball is and has no interest in one. She doesn't seem to have a clue what toys are...
She makes me so sad They just sucked everything out of her. I know i can get her back i am just wanting to make sure i do it the right way and not wrong to push her more into herself.
Old 03-30-2009, 03:46 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

My pitty X was like that, not even aware of people when I got her at 8 months. she'd been in the SPCA for 4 months, banging her head on a concrete wall. I almost thought she was deaf because there was no acknowledgement from her when I spoke to her. No obedience, nothing. Now, a year and a bit later, she's the greatest dog. She plays with toys, tugs on a rope, fetches, etc.
If food doesn't work, you need to figure out what is high value to her. I'd try different foods first, greasy chicken, fried liver, etc. Maybe borrow a neighbours cat and put it on the deck (just kidding).
My border collie was weird like that for a while. We run around th elake a lot, and cross a few small bridges. One day, he gets to a bridge, and skids to a halt. There was no way he was crossing the bridge, so I had to go back and carry him. Maybe carry yours onto the deck, don't put her down unless she's relaxed. You have an exciting challenge, you'll both be happy when you figure out the puzzle
Old 03-30-2009, 03:56 PM

Chaloupa is on a distinguished road

I wouldn't go with any greasy food treats ... as that can cause pancreatitis...however some tasty snacks for dogs from the local pet shop are a good thing...and ask for the strongest smelling, tastiest ones they carry. Reward by food and encouragement/love, if you can find something she will eat may be the thing for her right now. It's a tough task you've taken on...but good for you for making that choice!

Old 03-30-2009, 04:02 PM
Just a guy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaloupa View Post
I wouldn't go with any greasy food treats ... as that can cause pancreatitis
I don't think 1/2 cup of greasy chicken is going to cause health concerns
If it helps a one time challenge, use what works. Yes, wholesome doggie treats ae probably better, but greasy chicken is always a better bribe! You can skip the skin, or heck, use a piece of roast pork, but something real and raw, not pressed into doggie treats.
This is not a recommendation to feed bad food, it's bribery to get a dog to overcome something. For me, a high value reward is a tuggie, my guy loves to tug and forgets what he's being stubborn about. Again, use any tool that gets the task done.