Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > DIY

Old 02-17-2009, 08:27 AM

foreverfortune is on a distinguished road
Default lumenarc, lumenbright, or lumenmax?

i have a dilemma
my current lighting fixture was a cheap 24" 400w de with 2x65w pc and moonlights in one. run on an icecap 400w electric ballast.

i have an oceanic 92gal, bowfront corner 1/4 cylinder tank. 35" radius, about 25" deep. so i was limited in fixtures. i find that my current fixture does not light up my corals the way i would like. it has no real reflectors built in besides the inside lining.

my problem is when the lighting is centered to my tank. any of the corals that i place closer to the front of the tank, (from my viewing angle in the front) i would be viewing it from the shadow. meaning the growth and color is on the opposite side of my viewing angle, because the light source would be coming from behind it. the corals placed behind where the light is would be ok, but i would have limited space because it comes to a corner(point) so i cant place as many corals. hard to explain hope everyone understands.

my question is would a good reflector correct this? are they mainly to spread light out or to reflect lightbeams in different directions to mimic more than one light source.

what would you guys recommend? i was looking at the lumenarc lumenbright and lumenmax reflectors. can go either SE or DE but if SE i would have to wait a year to use because i just replaced these bulbs feb 13. should i go with the full size ones or would the minis be sufficient? hanging is not an option. my oceanic canopy has a glass top about 8" off the water surface that i can place the reflectors on top of so i would prefer one with less bulk.

another option would be to sell the icecap 400 and get a dual 250w and get 2 smaller pendants.

please provide your suggestions, opinions or reviews of the products. thanks

Last edited by foreverfortune; 02-17-2009 at 11:24 AM.
Old 02-17-2009, 03:09 PM

High tide is on a distinguished road

I think a mogul based 400w with full size Lumenarc would solve your needs. The Lumenarc has excellent spread and should light it up nicely. I really like the Ushio 14k, it can stand alone without supplementation.
Old 02-17-2009, 03:25 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

I agree. A SE bulb spreads light better than a DE bulb, and a full size reflector (not the mini). LumenArc, LumenBrite, and LumenMax are all very similar reflectors, but the LumenMax tend to just barely beat out the other two in a PAR match (using the same bulb/ballast), and spreads the light just a bit better. OR, your idea of using two DE pendants would be quite sufficient as well, but more expensive as you wouldn't be using your current ballast. I say sell your current DE bulb, and switch to the SE. Be sure to pick a bulb that is known to have a high PAR (or PPFD) reading on your particular ballast. Here is a list of the PPFD ratings for different bulbs on your IceCap 400w electronic ballast: http://www.manhattanreefs.com/lighti...llast-data.php

SPS fanatic.

Old 02-17-2009, 04:56 PM

zazzoo is on a distinguished road

i would scale it down 2x 250 that way there would be a evenly spread light.... and should look at the phoenix 14k bulbs..... come by and look at mine bro
Old 02-17-2009, 08:36 PM

thanks for the suggestions,
just a curious question,
would 2 250w in very close proximity provide the same intensity or par as a 400w?
Old 02-17-2009, 08:50 PM

fkshiu is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverfortune View Post
thanks for the suggestions,
just a curious question,
would 2 250w in very close proximity provide the same intensity or par as a 400w?
Way too many variables for a simple answer. Plug in a few bulb and ballast combos at the link Myka provided to see various comparisons. Some 250W setups can have more PAR that 400W, some have less, some have about the same. Electrical usage varies as well.
Old 02-17-2009, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
Here is a list of the PPFD ratings for different bulbs on your IceCap 400w electronic ballast: http://www.manhattanreefs.com/lighti...llast-data.php
link does not seem to work for me, it links but no information
Old 02-17-2009, 09:24 PM

fkshiu is on a distinguished road

Try this:
http://www.manhattanreefs.com/lighting
Old 02-17-2009, 10:05 PM

Pan is on a distinguished road

I prefer a 400watt 20k bulb over a 250 watt 20k bulb...but thats personaly preference. Yes I have run both side by side and still prefer the 400, would run it but it is too much for my small tank now.

Old 02-17-2009, 11:00 PM

zazzoo is on a distinguished road

my 250 x2 on electronic galaxy ballast is super blinding ............. but it might be the combo i got running

youcan also use 2 250 watt and put them more forward because they are smaller.... that way you will get the look from the front instead of the back..... or you can just add a 250 on the front with a small pendant and save some money there .... or just go 2x 250 side by side towards the front ..... should look SICK