Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 01-29-2009, 12:46 PM

Key Equine is on a distinguished road
Question Looking For Captive-Bred Seahorses

Hello,
I am setting up a seahorse tank, and am looking for a reliable source for captive bred seahorses in Western Canada (Calgary if possible). I am wanting tropical varieties, born and raised in tanks, that are eating frozen food. I have gotten some good advice already on here but wanted to put the question out to everyone in case anyone has a new idea!!
Any input is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Claire
Old 01-29-2009, 12:52 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

J&L Aquatics often has them listed on their New & Noteworthy page. I think there were some listed just a couple weeks ago. Try giving them a call or email, and maybe they can help you out. I know they have a local breeder there.

SPS fanatic.

Old 01-29-2009, 01:56 PM

Mrfish55 is on a distinguished road

+1 on J&l, thats where I got mine, very nice and eating like horses
Old 01-30-2009, 12:41 AM

Key Equine is on a distinguished road

Thank you for your input! I have sent an inquiry to J&L...
Old 01-30-2009, 02:03 AM

BadPhish is on a distinguished road

Aquatic Addictions in Abbotsford BC has a beautiful captive bred bright orange seahorse. It eats frozen food. They had a few but only have one left. It's $150 bucks though... I know they ship in BC so I'm guessing you'd be able to order from them if you wanted to.
Old 01-30-2009, 03:38 AM

nanoreefer is on a distinguished road

be vary carefull getting a SH from a store as they are on a system with other fish, the ones at J&L look OK, dont get the kudas there net raised and would have parasites for sure, i got some from big als on boxing day and they are doing realy bad, no matter ware you get them they should be treated for internal parasites, wich is vary hard to do unless you can get live adult brine shrimp, iam waiting on some cathader tubeing to force feed my last SH some food and meds and hope he lives, iam not trying to discurage you after haveing SHs i love them but it sucks to watch them die even when there eating frozen,

BTW mine were the cheep net pen raised ones not CB so iam not saying anything against J&Ls or other stores captive bred SH if thats what they are
Old 01-30-2009, 08:53 AM
Likes to play with Fish

tang daddy is on a distinguished road

I also got a seahorse on boxing day from the richmond big als store, I am unsure if he has parisites or not however he's swimming around with my pipefish eating frozen brine and gut packed mysis. I also feed baby brine that I hatch every 2 days and everyone seems happy.

nanoreefer did you watch the seahorse before buying I sat there for almost half an hour watching all of them picking the best colour and obviously the one that ate.....

90g starphire cube/400mhRadium20k/2 XHO/2x27w UV/2x39w T5/ 3 Trulumen led strips
Old 01-30-2009, 08:27 PM

Pan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tang daddy View Post
I also got a seahorse on boxing day from the richmond big als store, I am unsure if he has parisites or not however he's swimming around with my pipefish eating frozen brine and gut packed mysis. I also feed baby brine that I hatch every 2 days and everyone seems happy.

nanoreefer did you watch the seahorse before buying I sat there for almost half an hour watching all of them picking the best colour and obviously the one that ate.....
I'm sorry but I would not get seahorses from J&L shipped. In fact I would not get any horses shipped to you unless the company itself specializes in captive bred and they can back it up. Horses don't ship that well in the first place. You want to SEE them eating, unless you trust where you are buying the from implicitly. I would not get any livestock personally from big als, especially not horses the reliability and trust in the chain with regards to delicate shippers is poor. Ocean city can get them certified wild caught, and they did mention the other day they would show you appropriate paperwork, but again its a trust issue. Are they told the truth at their end?
Your best bet in alberta now is to find someone who deals with ora farms, directly or indirectly. They can and will provide proof of captive bred. I prefer Red coral to any store in Calgary personally, everyone there is great etc. I don't know if Kevin can get them in so I can't speak for him. Might be worth a try. I bought al my horses certified, but I checked with friends and the only supplier they are left with that they trust is in the states (besides Ora) and they have someone bring them up across the border themselves. Trust me when it comes to horses they are as good and careful as you can get.

Key Equine: Sorry i looked into it and could not find anyone with any reliability anymore. But again, i've never talked to Kev at RC about horses.
My sources are looking into one more place, I will let you know.
You could always take your chances when you see some local, but make sure they are eating. But...you never know.

Old 01-30-2009, 11:21 PM
Likes to play with Fish

tang daddy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pan View Post
I'm sorry but I would not get seahorses from J&L shipped. In fact I would not get any horses shipped to you unless the company itself specializes in captive bred and they can back it up. Horses don't ship that well in the first place. You want to SEE them eating, unless you trust where you are buying the from implicitly. I would not get any livestock personally from big als, especially not horses the reliability and trust in the chain with regards to delicate shippers is poor. Ocean city can get them certified wild caught, and they did mention the other day they would show you appropriate paperwork, but again its a trust issue. Are they told the truth at their end?
Your best bet in alberta now is to find someone who deals with ora farms, directly or indirectly. They can and will provide proof of captive bred. I prefer Red coral to any store in Calgary personally, everyone there is great etc. I don't know if Kevin can get them in so I can't speak for him. Might be worth a try. I bought al my horses certified, but I checked with friends and the only supplier they are left with that they trust is in the states (besides Ora) and they have someone bring them up across the border themselves. Trust me when it comes to horses they are as good and careful as you can get.

Key Equine: Sorry i looked into it and could not find anyone with any reliability anymore. But again, i've never talked to Kev at RC about horses.
My sources are looking into one more place, I will let you know.
You could always take your chances when you see some local, but make sure they are eating. But...you never know.
I agree with you on the shipping part it's risky....

I wasn't planning on getting seahorses from BA's aswell however my freind works there and every few days I popped in I got him to feed them. I also took the fattest active looking one.

There was a guy selling his own captive bred seahorses on here last year that goes by the name seahorse canada maybe try to look him up on the members list.

I actually found his last post unfortunately he's in vancouver.....http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=42926

90g starphire cube/400mhRadium20k/2 XHO/2x27w UV/2x39w T5/ 3 Trulumen led strips

Last edited by tang daddy; 01-30-2009 at 11:23 PM.
Old 01-31-2009, 01:07 AM

Lydia is on a distinguished road

[/quote]There was a guy selling his own captive bred seahorses on here last year that goes by the name seahorse canada maybe try to look him up on the members list. I actually found his last post unfortunately he's in vancouver.....http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=42926[/quote]

I sent this contact info to Key Equine already, too. Seahorsecanada is where I got my captive bred seahorses from in September - my husband and I drove to Vancouver to pick them up I'm not crazy - it's only 12 hours each way!! LOL