Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 01-30-2009, 01:50 PM

24storm is on a distinguished road
Default Redox???

Does anyone have any information on Redox.
I have a Profilux with a Redox probe and i am having a hard time finding information on the readings. What should your Redox reading be? I have found some sites that state it will be 450 and yet others say that if it gets to 450 your in trouble.

If you have a Redox reader what is yours currently at. Mine when i left this morning was at 268 but i did a water change on Wednesday so that is why it is so low. Before the water change it was hovering around 400.

I do not quite understand Redox so if anyone can give me some insight i would appreciate it.

Thanks Keith

Last edited by 24storm; 01-30-2009 at 01:58 PM.
Old 01-30-2009, 02:28 PM

fencer is on a distinguished road

325-380 mV but I would like in the higher end of the range

When my lights are off the redox levels are higher but this is related to temp drop when the lights are off. When you change your water the redox levels are low anyway. Also the drop in redox is related to where you have the probe located and it does take a while for the redox probe to re equlibrate after a water change( a couple of hours.

Last edited by fencer; 01-30-2009 at 03:15 PM.
Old 01-30-2009, 03:34 PM

don.ald is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24storm View Post
Does anyone have any information on Redox.
I have a Profilux with a Redox probe and i am having a hard time finding information on the readings. What should your Redox reading be? I have found some sites that state it will be 450 and yet others say that if it gets to 450 your in trouble.

If you have a Redox reader what is yours currently at. Mine when i left this morning was at 268 but i did a water change on Wednesday so that is why it is so low. Before the water change it was hovering around 400.

I do not quite understand Redox so if anyone can give me some insight i would appreciate it.

Thanks Keith
good guestions! why dont you give it to these guys
http://canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=41648
Old 01-30-2009, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don.ald View Post
good guestions! why dont you give it to these guys
http://canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=41648
I posted it over there as well now.

Thanks
Old 01-31-2009, 01:48 AM

Anyone else have one? There is only 2 of us out there with these things? Come on people i am trying to understand this. So if i know what other people are getting for a reading i might understand things better.

Thanks Keith
Old 01-31-2009, 02:12 AM

untamed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fencer View Post
325-380 mV but I would like in the higher end of the range

When my lights are off the redox levels are higher but this is related to temp drop when the lights are off. When you change your water the redox levels are low anyway. Also the drop in redox is related to where you have the probe located and it does take a while for the redox probe to re equlibrate after a water change( a couple of hours.
I have one in my tank also. My experience is EXACTLY the same as fencer, above. I've tried aerating my water change SW...no matter what, that new SW causes a temporary reduction in measured ORP.
400 gal reef. Established April, 2007. 3 Sequence Dart, RM12-4 skimmer, 2 x OM4Ways, Yellow Tang, Maroon Clown (pair), Blonde Naso Tang, Vlamingi Tang, Foxface Rabbit, Unicorn Tang, 2 Pakistani Butterflies and a few coral gobies

My Tank: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=28436
Old 01-31-2009, 04:58 AM

my2rotties is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to my2rotties Send a message via Yahoo to my2rotties

Well mine read from 220-280 before it met its untimely demise. I know you know this but figured I should reply so there is reference to this for others.
Old 01-31-2009, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by my2rotties View Post
Well mine read from 220-280 before it met its untimely demise. I know you know this but figured I should reply so there is reference to this for others.
So you had higher REDOX readings for some time...then a shift down to 220-280...then...demise?

The lower/change in REDOX was an indication that something was wrong?
400 gal reef. Established April, 2007. 3 Sequence Dart, RM12-4 skimmer, 2 x OM4Ways, Yellow Tang, Maroon Clown (pair), Blonde Naso Tang, Vlamingi Tang, Foxface Rabbit, Unicorn Tang, 2 Pakistani Butterflies and a few coral gobies

Old 01-31-2009, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by untamed View Post
So you had higher REDOX readings for some time...then a shift down to 220-280...then...demise?

The lower/change in REDOX was an indication that something was wrong?
No her Profilux met its demise. She had a flood and lost the profilux.

The way i understand it the lower the number the cleaner the water what i am trying to find out is what is the highest reading you can sustain before something bad happens.

I have found sites that say 350 is bad and others that say 450 is good so i am lost.

That's why i would like to know what others have for readings mine used to hang around 350 360 and now seams to climb to 390 400.

So anyone who has one readings would be appreciated.

Keith
Old 01-31-2009, 03:34 PM

I think you have that backwards..I think the higher the number, the generally "cleaner" the water. You can use REDOX to control ozone. When the REDOX goes down, you add ozone.