Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > New to the Hobby

Old 05-27-2003, 05:03 AM

mr_alberta is on a distinguished road
Default Lighting help please

Hi everyone,

I have just purchased a 29G tank (30.25"L x 12.5"W x 18.75"H) and was trying to figure out a nice lighting solution for it. I plan on having an anenome of some sort some time in the future, so I would like some stronger lighting.

I was thinking about getting 175w MH but I am concerned about the heat. I also looked into a 2x96w PC kit but that is very expensive. Then I saw some t5 bulbs and they seemed promising, but I don't know much about them. What type of lighting would you fellow reefers suggest I look into?

Thanks.
Old 05-29-2003, 06:41 AM

Sushiman is on a distinguished road

Anenomes are trick at the best of times, I'd warn you against them until you have alot of experience.
In a small tank you have alot of options as far as lighting, it really depends on what you want to keep. My set up is lit by 6x55w PC's, & I find it is only enough to make softies really happy. My LPS are alive but I know they could do alot better. If i had it all to do over, I would save my money for MH's (250W or greater), or get a full VHO set up as I like the color alot better than PC's.
Heat is a problem that will plague you no matter what. I'm installing a free-standing AC asap for this summer. If that doesn't work I'll be getting a chiller for my next set-up.
Old 05-29-2003, 12:07 PM

CHEAPREEF is on a distinguished road

I would go with the Halides/VHO combo. I have a 30gal cube with one 175watt 10k and 2 18" overdriven actinic. I have no problems with SPS with that lighting. The Halides are your best bet, around the same $$ as PC, but way more light. Your corals will thank you.

Clinton
Old 05-29-2003, 03:43 PM

Beverly is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Lighting help please

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy
I have just purchased a 29G tank (30.25"L x 12.5"W x 18.75"H) and was trying to figure out a nice lighting solution for it.
I was thinking about getting 175w MH but I am concerned about the heat.
We have a 175w 6500k halide on our 42 hex. When I first lit it up on the tank, I placed it directly on the tank's glass cover. Temp rose 2 degrees F in about an hour

Needed a quick, low tech solution to raise the halide off the glass, so I got out DH's HUGE box of Lego and made inserts that raised the light 2" from the tank's glass. Temp in the tank still rises 2 degrees F, but it now takes all day to do so, which is no problem as far as I'm concerned

Beverly's 10g Nano YouTube Channel
Old 05-29-2003, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushiman
If i had it all to do over, I would save my money for MH's (250W or greater)
Newguy's tank is only 18" deep and a 250w halide would be overkill on a tank that shallow. 175w would be just fine for his tank, imo.

Old 05-29-2003, 05:29 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beverly
Newguy's tank is only 18" deep and a 250w halide would be overkill on a tank that shallow. 175w would be just fine for his tank, imo.
No such thing as overkill!! I ran 2 400w 10k bulbs over my 18" tank. If clams/SPS are the intended inhabitants, more is always better. Bigger bulbs do bring heat managements issues though, so be prepared to deal with that.
Old 05-29-2003, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reef_raf
No such thing as overkill!! I ran 2 400w 10k bulbs over my 18" tank.
Holy cr*p, Brad

Old 05-29-2003, 05:42 PM

mr_alberta is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the replies everyone. I saw this nice setup on Ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ...324229035&rd=1

but I'm weary of buying anything off of Ebay...seems awfully cheap to me...

I was also thinking about going with a VHO setup...maybe 2x75w? I've changed my mind about the anenome and I most likely will just stick to keeping it simple for now (Zoo's, Softies, maybe LPS later on when I get more experience). So, I think that the 2x75w VHO bulbs should work. I can get that setup for ~$300 at JL. What do you fellow reefers think?

Also, what is the difference between TAR and Electronic Ballasts? Thanks again for the help!
Old 05-29-2003, 05:47 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beverly

Holy cr*p, Brad
Bev, it isn't really all that much. Heat is the only issue (and cost of setup).
Old 05-29-2003, 06:29 PM

Quinn is on a distinguished road

if you diy your setup with J&L parts, i bet you could get it for not far from the VHO price. i may be totally wrong, but i would look into it if i were you.

Man, n. ...His chief occupation is extermination of other animals and his own species, which, however, multiplies with such insistent rapidity as to infest the whole habitable earth, and Canada. - A. Bierce, Devil's Dictionary, 1906