Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Closed Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 08:22 PM
Banned

dabandit is on a distinguished road
Default Everyones an expert

I was over on the bc aquaria web site,there was a guy asking how to get rid of algae/cyano. Two seperate people told him there wasnt enough Phosphate/nitrate in his water and thats where his problem is,their solution add more fish lol. What causes someone to offer an opinion on something they know nothing about I wonder? Poor guy was also doing tap water changes to try to get rid of it based on someones advice. Crazy,I dont think he believed me that the detrious was the cause of his problem not the solution.
Old 12-03-2008, 08:49 PM

Trigger Man is on a distinguished road

I guess it's why its called personal advise. In the end ones opinions will play into what that person writes. Those people that said that there was not enough phosphate/nitrate may have added another fish to their tank when they had the problem and had their algae go away. (in reality the changes probably occured because they could have a algae eating fish, the new fish could have been helping to aleviate over feeding that was occuring and hence leftover food no longer staying in the tank, or it could have even been the end of the cycling of the tank).
I like seeing many opinions before I make a decison so that hopefully the majority is right.
Just think, if the guy does not believe you now maybe he will later, when he does what the others told him and his problem gets worse.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:51 PM

mark is on a distinguished road

That's the cautions of the internet (and other media), it's just opinions. Some are based on experience, others from who knows where.

As for cyano, can't forget about flow and it's effects.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:46 PM

trilinearmipmap is on a distinguished road

If it was a freshwater plant tank then the advice to supplement nitrate to get rid of cyanobacteria is 100% correct. This is just my opinion from quite a few years of running FW plant tanks, cyano (at least in FW plant tanks) can fix nitrogen in the form of dissolved N2 and therefore can out-compete plants when nitrates are low. I agree with the original poster's statement that people should not offer an opinion on something they know nothing about, we just disagree about who those people are.
Herbie's silent overflow system
Jebao DC 12000 return pump
Jecod CP-40 Cross-flow circulation device
Mini Bubble King 180
Barr Aquatics calcium reactor
Bucket fuge
Old 12-04-2008, 01:43 AM
Banned

Ive been keeping fresh water for a loooong time allways cured cyano (green) by adding carbon. The only way I can see adding more nitrate helping would be it would increase the number of beneficial bacteria but that could take up to a full cycle. Are you not just fueling the cyano in the mean time?

I realise that there are many opinions as far as fishkeeping goes,but every piece of literature I've ever read aswell as my personal experiences say phosphate and nitrate are the cause of cyano not the cure and overstocking your tank will lead to ammonia build up and a palethera of algaes and cyano's Where are you getting this from that nitrate is a cure for cyano I'm wondering?
Old 12-04-2008, 01:48 AM
Banned

Dude I keep fresh water planted tanks for 12 years and have scientific facts to prove me right. Show me your data,you seriouslly believe that overstocking a tank will cure cyano? better yet do you believe this is best way to go about it? Believe me if I didnt know what I was talking about I wouldnt say a damn thing.
Are you saying im wrong?

Last edited by dabandit; 12-04-2008 at 01:50 AM.
Old 12-04-2008, 01:58 AM

justinl is on a distinguished road

dabandit, while i agree that people who have no idea what they are talking about shouldn't talk, you are currently shooting yourself in the foot. There are quite a few cyanobacteria species that are known as nitrogen fixers. At low levels of nitrogen (at normal phosphorus levels), usually in the form of nitrate for obvious reasons, nitrogen fixers outcompete other algal species in natural settings. This is what Ive learned from my university limnology class... there's plenty of scientific papers detailing this mechanism if you're willing to look for it. Granted that in captive systems, all bets are off, because our systems only emulate nature in the barest of degrees. is the best way to stock more (but not overstock... i dont think that's what he meant)? maybe, maybe not, but there's merit to it at least.

edit: "are you saying im wrong?" now who's the expert?

Last edited by justinl; 12-04-2008 at 02:00 AM.
Old 12-04-2008, 01:59 AM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabandit View Post
Dude I keep fresh water planted tanks for 12 years and have scientific facts to prove me right. Show me your data,you seriouslly believe that overstocking a tank will cure cyano? better yet do you believe this is best way to go about it? Believe me if I didnt know what I was talking about I wouldnt say a damn thing.
Are you saying im wrong?
What's with this guy? It seems pretty obvious who thinks he's an expert. Lets see your data Mr. Expert.
Old 12-04-2008, 03:39 AM

fishoholic will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabandit View Post
Are you saying im wrong?
You are arguing about something that was started on another forum. This whole above statement seems very abrasive for an issue that originated from somewhere else. One of the main reasons I stick to this forum is the friendly atmosphere on here. I don't see the merit in carrying over or trying to start a fight on here.

It sounds like you let the person know what you thought on the other site (which is fine) but now it seems like you're trying to get others on this forum to validate your opinion. Everyone has different opinions and everyone is entitled to their opinion. It's one thing to politely state your opinion but it's another to try to force your opinion on others. While it's nice to be validated not everyone is going to agree with what you have to say. Please be willing to except that fact and allow yourself to move on.

Last edited by fishoholic; 12-04-2008 at 03:42 AM.
Old 12-04-2008, 03:51 AM

trilinearmipmap is on a distinguished road

Sorry if my post was a little obnoxious, sometimes when I am tired and have a headache I can be an ornery bastard. Now that I have had my workout I feel more human.

I don't have any science to back me up. I have advice from experts and personal experience.

In the past whenever I have had cyanobacteria issues (in a freshwater planted tank) one of the main causes has been low to zero nitrates and the cure has been either supplement nitrates or increase feeding. Depending on the light and CO2 levels, a nitrate level of 5 ppm to 20 ppm is the general consensus target.

The other major contributor to freshwater cyanobacteria from my experience has been low flow.

Erythromycin is a quick cure but the cyano comes back if the root causes (low nitrate and stagnant flow areas) are not addressed.

Most experienced plant people, and in particular Tom Barr who is generally recognized as a FW plant expert, do not feel that elevated nitrates or elevated phosphates will cause algae, as long as light, CO2, flow, macronutrients and micronutrients are all available. That has been my experience too.

Anyway the fundamental issue is, on a discussion forum people should discuss, if someone wants to claim this or that additive will cure algae, fine with me, discuss it and debate it and in the end we will find the truth, with a lot of zigs and zags along the way.
Herbie's silent overflow system
Jebao DC 12000 return pump
Jecod CP-40 Cross-flow circulation device
Mini Bubble King 180
Barr Aquatics calcium reactor
Bucket fuge
Closed Thread