Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Regional Forums > Alberta > Calgary

Old 10-16-2008, 12:39 AM

ElGuappo is on a distinguished road
Default 7 hours without power.....

Well appaarently enmax is upgrading the lines in the area or something so i am going to be without power for 7 hours. what are my options for power. i have an iverter i can run off a car battery but i need to run 2 heaters and 3 pumps min. so i have no idea how long a car battery can last.

As if this wasnt enough im going to be in vegas for the weekend..... i have a roomate who is capable enough to get things done but i need a serious plan of attack.

Long story short anyone have a generator i could borrow for a day???
72 Gallon Bowfront Reef.. Hardware:2x250w Luminex Elite HQI Reflectors (Phoenix Hexarc Bulbs), Galaxy 2x250w Electronic ballast, Euroreef 130 Skimmer, Sedra KSP 7000 Retern... Live Stock: Pair of Hawaiian Flame Wrasse, Leopard Wrasse, Pink Streaked Wrasse, Pair True Percula Clowns, Potters Angel, African Flameback Angel, Orange Fin Tomini Tang, Yellow Assessor, Tailspot Blenny, Purple Firefish..

45 G FW Asain Barb Community tank.

Old 10-16-2008, 12:56 AM

bullit67 is on a distinguished road

A inverter and car batt. wont last that long you will need a generator. 7 hours without power is a long time good luck if you have to rent one I would get on it fast as you wont be the only one with out power and they could be in short supply

Good luck
Old 10-16-2008, 01:02 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Check a rental place maybe for a generator?? Good luck man.
Old 10-16-2008, 01:09 AM

xtreme is on a distinguished road

Try Home Depot, I found myself having to rent one there a couple weeks ago.
Old 10-16-2008, 04:42 AM

spanky is on a distinguished road

I bought one of these little two stroke generators for my tent trailer and it works great. It was on sale for 125.99 a few weeks ago. I hope the link works. Its from Canadian tire and is actually pretty quite too. It also has a DC outlet with cables to charge regular car batteries. It runs about 6-7 hours on a tank of fuel as well.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/pr...romSearch=true

Last edited by spanky; 10-16-2008 at 04:44 AM.
Old 10-16-2008, 04:45 AM

Lance is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by spanky View Post
I bought one of these little two stroke generators for my tent trailer and it works great. It was on sale for 125.99 a few weeks ago. I hope the link works. Its from Canadian tire and is actually pretty quite too.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/pr...romSearch=true

Make sure you ask about the return policy on it if it has something wrong with it. CT has real weird return policies.
Old 10-16-2008, 05:43 AM

spanky is on a distinguished road

I know CT does have some wierd return policies, but i have had no problems with mine and i use it alot. On the plus side its always nice to have a genny around, you never know when the power may go out. And the price is right considering a honda is 800 dollars more for the same wattage.

Last edited by spanky; 10-16-2008 at 05:47 AM.
Old 10-16-2008, 01:55 PM

mark is on a distinguished road

remember don't need much to keep a tank going during a outage (skip lights, reactors, ozone...)

I have a basement sump with my heaters etc but if there was an outage (and have done when replaced my return line and pump) was just place a heater and a small pump for aeration in the display. All within the capacity of my cheap Prince Auto 800W unit.
Old 10-16-2008, 03:38 PM

Okguy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElGuappo View Post
i need to run 2 heaters and 3 pumps min.
That sounds a bit excessive. Can't you try a test this weekend to see what happens if you run your tank on 1 pump, 1 battery operated aerator and 1 heater. For a tank to survive (not thrive) for short periods of time it only requires oxygen and heat (remember most corals\fish are transported a lot further than that via airplane with less than that). I bet a Noma UPS could work for you. I've had mine run for 12+ hours with just one Nano stream and one heater. Plus one of those battery powered air pumps. If it looks like the UPS is about to lose power you could always recharge it with your car inverter.

HTH

Kevin

50g tank 23g DIY Acrylic Sump\Refugium

Sold Dec 2009

Vacation Fun: http://members.shaw.ca/cabin54/
Old 10-16-2008, 05:20 PM

ElGuappo is on a distinguished road

i have to run this many becasue i have 3 tanks going. the FW im too worried about as a battery op air pump would prob be enough. but i have 45 sw upstairs and a rsm downstairs. these each would need 1 ph and a heater. i have koralias lying around all i need is power.
72 Gallon Bowfront Reef.. Hardware:2x250w Luminex Elite HQI Reflectors (Phoenix Hexarc Bulbs), Galaxy 2x250w Electronic ballast, Euroreef 130 Skimmer, Sedra KSP 7000 Retern... Live Stock: Pair of Hawaiian Flame Wrasse, Leopard Wrasse, Pink Streaked Wrasse, Pair True Percula Clowns, Potters Angel, African Flameback Angel, Orange Fin Tomini Tang, Yellow Assessor, Tailspot Blenny, Purple Firefish..

45 G FW Asain Barb Community tank.