Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Nano Tank Talk

Old 07-24-2008, 05:31 PM

Chad is on a distinguished road
Default heating/cooling 34gal

Ok, quick question for those with experience..

With my 34gal cube I was planning on having the heating and cooling all done within my sump. I will have a max flow of maybe 150 - 160 gph being returned to the tank. Will this be enough flow to cool and heat the tank?

There will be a single 250w MH over this tank. probably a foot or so off the water. Also, flow is caused by a closed loop/ external pump. So not much heat entering the tank other than by the MH and at the same time, not much of a heating affect during the winter.. So.. thoughts? Will I need to do something else?

Thanks!

Old 07-24-2008, 07:09 PM
Banned

Whatigot is on a distinguished road

I bet if you put a fan on your sump and ran it on the same cycle as your MH you'd be fine.
I had a similiar set up in my old appartment in New westminster that was on the top floor of a 60 year old building (hot all day and night) and kept a stable temp within 3 degrees this way.
Though you will want to think of an ATO if you don't have one already.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:14 PM

Chad is on a distinguished road

so you think I could adequately cool and heat the tank with only 150 gph running through it?

I have the sump set up with a fan already as well as a heater.. I am just worried there is not enough flow to cool and heat the tank properly.

Also, this would be run off of a temp controller.. the sensor would be best placed in the main tank I would guess then.

Old 07-25-2008, 09:04 PM

Marlin65 is on a distinguished road

I don't think you can do it. I run close to the same setup and I was bumping the temp up by 4* in about 3 hrs of having the lights on.
I also run more flow through my tank. I had to pick up a chiller now it is rock solid best money I spent it's nice not to worry about heat fluctuation. I also added a ATO as I had to put in at least a gallon a day.