Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Regional Forums > British Columbia > Lower Mainland

Old 05-30-2008, 04:08 AM

WuHT is on a distinguished road
Default Aquarium Background

My aquarium fits nearly snug against a wall, and before i have it filled with water i'm trying to figure out what background I should try.

Coroplast seems like the easiest way out (corrugated plastic) but I dont even know where to get some in vancouver! Office depot ?

I went to some aquarium stores (ie Big Als) to see what they had .. and they had a plastic film (black/blue) material, but the problem was they didnt' have it in 24" height.

Any other suggestions ...aside from painting (which i'd like to avoid).
Might give JL a try later as well.
Old 05-30-2008, 04:34 AM

fkshiu is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by WuHT View Post
My aquarium fits nearly snug against a wall, and before i have it filled with water i'm trying to figure out what background I should try.

Coroplast seems like the easiest way out (corrugated plastic) but I dont even know where to get some in vancouver! Office depot ?

I went to some aquarium stores (ie Big Als) to see what they had .. and they had a plastic film (black/blue) material, but the problem was they didnt' have it in 24" height.

Any other suggestions ...aside from painting (which i'd like to avoid).
Might give JL a try later as well.
You can get something just like Corolplast at Rona, but finding black is tricky. They should have blue, though. Just ask for the plastic sign board stuff because the Rona drone won't know what Coroplast is. Industrial Plastic & Paints has any colour you want, but you'll have to buy a full 4x8 sheet.
Old 05-30-2008, 04:46 AM

whiteice669 is on a distinguished road

painting is so much simpler, just pick your color, and a couple of coats, boom done
aga 180g dual overflow 77g sump, mak 4 return, dart pump for closed loop 3 250w se 15,000k mh, 4 80w t5 250 vertex skimmer,3l vertex zeo reactor, marine tech cal reactor.regal,powder brown and yellow tangs, chromis eyelash blennie blue mandran, slowly filling with SPS
Old 05-30-2008, 04:58 AM

Brent F is on a distinguished road

Another option is an acrylic mirror which you can get at home depot.
Old 05-30-2008, 05:01 AM

ElGuappo is on a distinguished road

go to any home development site and ask a furnace instalation guy. they are used for running cold air returns so if you goto rona look in heating. also the most popular color ive seen is smokey grey. however i do i agree i think paint is the way to go.
72 Gallon Bowfront Reef.. Hardware:2x250w Luminex Elite HQI Reflectors (Phoenix Hexarc Bulbs), Galaxy 2x250w Electronic ballast, Euroreef 130 Skimmer, Sedra KSP 7000 Retern... Live Stock: Pair of Hawaiian Flame Wrasse, Leopard Wrasse, Pink Streaked Wrasse, Pair True Percula Clowns, Potters Angel, African Flameback Angel, Orange Fin Tomini Tang, Yellow Assessor, Tailspot Blenny, Purple Firefish..

45 G FW Asain Barb Community tank.

Old 05-30-2008, 05:03 AM

marie is on a distinguished road

Or you could just do like I did, which was do nothing and wait for the coraline algae to cover the back glass, which it will do unless your diligent about keeping it clean

300g tank
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=86252
Old 05-30-2008, 05:18 AM

24storm is on a distinguished road

Or you can go to a sign shop and get vinyl decal material and put that on. Thats what i did.
Old 05-30-2008, 10:14 AM

WuHT is on a distinguished road

Wow thanks for all the advice.

The main reason i don't wanna paint is that the tank is mounted already .. with very little room to the wall ..so i was thinking of either sliding something in (like vinyl/coroplast) or pivoting the tank out a little to apply the "penn plax" stuff they sell at big als.
Old 05-30-2008, 10:46 PM

Pescador is on a distinguished road

Buy a sheet of pexi at Home Depot and paint it how ever you like, then slide it in with the unpainted side against the glass. You can make some nice graduated effects or even put black behind your rock and blue in the open sections.
110g mangrove refug/sump
Poison Dart Frog Vivarium