Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 02-27-2008, 09:40 PM

TRIX is on a distinguished road
Default LR in the dark

How lond is too long to have LR without a light. I'm not looking to eraticate any nussance algea, just wondering as I am tearing down my tank and if the lights go before the rock I don't want to wreck the rock.

Corals
Purple Mushrooms, Kenya Trees,
Fish/Inverts
Brittle Starfish,,Long spine Urchin,Snails,Crabs, Snowflake Eel,Coral Beauty,
Old 02-27-2008, 09:56 PM

Phanman is on a distinguished road

there is no "too long" imo... ive been cooking my rock for 2.5months in the dark now. The rock looks fantastic! super clean
Old 02-27-2008, 10:08 PM

ElGuappo is on a distinguished road

So if i am looking to kill a bunch of algae romoving rock and storing in the dark for a few monthes will take care of this ? all i need is an air line and watermovment. filter? i would plan on using this rock again.
72 Gallon Bowfront Reef.. Hardware:2x250w Luminex Elite HQI Reflectors (Phoenix Hexarc Bulbs), Galaxy 2x250w Electronic ballast, Euroreef 130 Skimmer, Sedra KSP 7000 Retern... Live Stock: Pair of Hawaiian Flame Wrasse, Leopard Wrasse, Pink Streaked Wrasse, Pair True Percula Clowns, Potters Angel, African Flameback Angel, Orange Fin Tomini Tang, Yellow Assessor, Tailspot Blenny, Purple Firefish..

45 G FW Asain Barb Community tank.

Old 02-27-2008, 10:10 PM

untamed is on a distinguished road

I suppose that depends on what light requiring organisms are trying to live on the rock. Certainly, at some point all algae will die...which is the entire reason why some people leave LR in the dark for long periods of time.

I would assume that a few days won't hurt anything. Every plant/animal has to be able to tolerate at least 12 hours of darkness per day, right?
400 gal reef. Established April, 2007. 3 Sequence Dart, RM12-4 skimmer, 2 x OM4Ways, Yellow Tang, Maroon Clown (pair), Blonde Naso Tang, Vlamingi Tang, Foxface Rabbit, Unicorn Tang, 2 Pakistani Butterflies and a few coral gobies

My Tank: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=28436
Old 02-27-2008, 10:31 PM

would these organisms not still reproduce on the remaining and new rock untill i could switch out the rest of the rock?
72 Gallon Bowfront Reef.. Hardware:2x250w Luminex Elite HQI Reflectors (Phoenix Hexarc Bulbs), Galaxy 2x250w Electronic ballast, Euroreef 130 Skimmer, Sedra KSP 7000 Retern... Live Stock: Pair of Hawaiian Flame Wrasse, Leopard Wrasse, Pink Streaked Wrasse, Pair True Percula Clowns, Potters Angel, African Flameback Angel, Orange Fin Tomini Tang, Yellow Assessor, Tailspot Blenny, Purple Firefish..

Old 02-27-2008, 11:26 PM

untamed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElGuappo View Post
would these organisms not still reproduce on the remaining and new rock untill i could switch out the rest of the rock?
Sure..yes...assuming that the old rock has a reproducing example of EVERY thing on the rocks that are being "cooked". By that argument, you might as well boil the rocks to ensure they are completely clean. At that point though, I wonder what people paid for when they purchased "live" rock.

I suppose the idea behind cooking the rocks is an attempt to selectively kill only algae. Of course, the problem is really that you have no idea what you are actually going to kill along with the algae.

Finally...I don't think it matters how clean and algae-free you get the rocks, if your tank conditions are such that algae wants to grow...it will.
400 gal reef. Established April, 2007. 3 Sequence Dart, RM12-4 skimmer, 2 x OM4Ways, Yellow Tang, Maroon Clown (pair), Blonde Naso Tang, Vlamingi Tang, Foxface Rabbit, Unicorn Tang, 2 Pakistani Butterflies and a few coral gobies

My Tank: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=28436
Old 02-28-2008, 02:02 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

I'd say you're gonna hurt the "good" algaes like coralline in probably about 3-5 days. Feather dusters and etc about 10-14 days. You won't "wreck" the rock though as long as you keep a heater and a good powerhead going in there. I know someone who has stored rock for almost a year that way, just "fed" it a pinch of flake food once a week, and it was good to go when it was put in the tank.

SPS fanatic.

Old 02-28-2008, 04:53 AM

how much light would the rock need to flourish ? if its minimal then i would have a light on for an hour or two a day. i havent been able to get my algae under control totaly since set up 6 monthes ago. i find if i leave the lights off for all but 2-4 hours a day it goes away slowly. i am worried to try this again however due to the ddition of bubble coral. the torch coral did OK last time.

Anything Please and Thank You.

Still trying to figure out what RODI is and how i get it. I know its reverse osmosis and de Ionised but is store bought enough culligan?

Old 02-28-2008, 05:25 AM
Likes to play with Fish

tang daddy is on a distinguished road

el guapo if you get the unit I think it's gonna be alot cheaper than buying water you can aquire the unit on ebay.ca search under rodi maximus.

Sorry for the OT^ as others have said that having no light can kill algae and other living on it such as snails, pods, worms etc.
It's really your call and when you sell it call it cured.

90g starphire cube/400mhRadium20k/2 XHO/2x27w UV/2x39w T5/ 3 Trulumen led strips
Old 02-28-2008, 05:42 AM

scumchug is on a distinguished road

Google "cooking live rock" and do a little reading.

Its like pushing the reset button on rock. Over time the rock will fill itself with all kinds of nasty's. Cooking it brings it back from the dead. Cooking rock will not kill the coralline algae. it will turn white, but will come back quite quickly. As for Pods/ worms. The will reproduce like crazy. By the time its done it will be completely full of them. The only thing that will die is the unwanted. Hitchhiker crabs, algae ect.