Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 07-20-2006, 01:29 AM

howdy20012002 is on a distinguished road
Default MH bulbs

I have a question...
For MH bulbs, do u wait to change them once they burn out?
Or do they lose their wattage as they get older like PC?
If yes, how often should u change them...my 90 came with the used MH bulbs and I am not sure how old they are.
As well, is there really that much of a difference in the different brands of bulbs?
Thanks for the info
Neal
Old 07-20-2006, 02:01 AM

fortheloveofcrabs is on a distinguished road

Hey,

MH bulbs can burn for many, many, many, many years... Well, maby not that long, but for a good while any-hoo. You should change them "every 12 - 18 months" because their spectrum starts to shift down. IE they become more yellow. As far as brand goes, yes there does seem to be a difference in my experience. I've used Hamilton, Sun Aquatics, XM and Radium. From what I've seen, you pay for what you get. The Radiums held their color for longer, and burnt brighter. Sun Aquatics bulbs are great - for a sump. Hamilton and XM seem to be a good middle of the road bulb - XM (I feel anyway) is the better of the two brands though. Keep in mind though, you need a pulse ballast to run Radiums.

Hope this helps!

*This is all just my opinion - so please don't pick on me!

Have a good one!
Old 07-20-2006, 11:44 AM

Quinster is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Quinster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortheloveofcrabs
Sun Aquatics bulbs are great - for a sump
Tell that to the SPS Clams Anemones LPS and all the other contents in my 2 tanks...LOL
Old 07-20-2006, 02:36 PM

OCDP is on a distinguished road

Different results for different people sometimes..

What are we talking about here? Mogul based? Or Double Ended (HQI) Metal Halide bulbs?
Old 07-20-2006, 04:20 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

The rule of thumb for changing them out at regular intervals doesn't really matter if it's SE or DE. In general though I've found that the higher the kelvin the sooner the shift.

As for the question of whether brand matters... I'm afraid that's really a question you need to answer for yourself with some experimentation over time. In general though, you get what you pay for. Having said that, there are a number of new bulbs on the market these days that are "economical" in comparisons to others and they seem to be just fine.

The one thing that I recommend though is trying to match bulbs to ballasts. This can help narrow down the choices when trying to decide what to try next. I.e., a manufacturer may put in their specs that a lamp should be run on a pulse-start or a probe-start ballast. Not that vice-versa can't work but sometimes you get sub-optimal results. I.e., if you try to fire an Ushio on a probe start ballast it may take up to 30 minutes after powering on for that lamp to actually light and stay lit. (After a while it gets better.. I ran Ushio's on probe starts for many years but if I could go back and do it again I'd have bought pulse-start ballasts... I bought the ballasts before understanding any of this kind of stuff.) Now that Iwasaki has a 175W 14000K lamp I'll probably never use an Ushio on my one remaining probe start 175W ballast -- I sold off the others. Great lamp, awesome colour, super bright, and intended to be run on M57 (probe start) ballasts. Unfortunately a bit pricey but with the 6500K Iwasaki's tending to be good for up to 24 months I'm hoping some of that Iwasaki quality spills over into this new line as well.

BTW Iwasaki's (6500k's) tend to have the best bang for the buck as far as PAR (photosynthetically active radiation) is concerned. If you want wicked coral growth these lamps are hard to beat. But a lot of people find them aesthetically unpleasingly yellow requiring a lot of actinic to balance out and make white. I generally wasn't unhappy with the colours after using them for a while (in fact that was the only period I really had nice SPS was when I used those lamps, but I shouldn't really mention that as there were other factors involved..) I switched to 10k's last year as I wanted to try a bluer look to see how I would like it. Also generally speaking the bluer the bulb the more colour you get out of corals.

Also one last thought, electronic ballasts (a third option over probe-start and pulse-start). Generally speaking if you have electronic ballasts then you don't need to concern yourself about lamp selection since they will usually fire any kind of lamp (of the correct wattage). Only thing is, they tend to underdrive the lamps slightly. Some people claim to notice the lights are less bright (I can't say for myself, I've never tried electronic ballasts .. I did try one, but I broke it before I ever got to use it.. $150 paperweight.. more on this later). But it does result in longer lamp life, which is a good thing. It also probably means your power bill is few cents less than it would be otherwise. And they say there's less heat from the ballast. The only drawbacks I see to electronic ballasts are 1) the cost, they're more expensive and 2) depending on the brand, if you break them (i.e., there's a short in the wiring somewhere), they're dead. Icecap ballasts can supposedly be sent in to the factory and get repaired, but other companies don't do such things. The one electronic ballast I tried was a circuit board encased in epoxy. There's no way to fix such a beast, so I had to trash can it. What happened was I was trying to DIY a DE fixture, and accidentally contacted one of my lamp leads to ground (I thought I was being cautious by grounding the fixture.. I read afterwards the warning "Do not contact lamp leads to ground". So much for that.)

Anyhow hope some of this info helps.

PS/Edit. One last thought (I realize I said "one last thought" already so this is "and yet another one last thought"), there are also "HQI" ballasts but that's a whole other discussion (they are still considered pulse-starts generally). 150W and 250W HQI ballasts exist which tend to overdrive the lamps slightly, giving a brighter look overall. Despite what you may read, there's no such thing as a 400W HQI. PFO markets a ballast labelled as such, but it is a really a 430W SonAgro ballast (actually intended for Sodium lamps, not Metal Halide -- but will run pulse-start MH lamps just fine -- just overdriven slightly).

Last edited by Delphinus; 07-20-2006 at 04:26 PM.
Old 07-20-2006, 04:49 PM

howdy20012002 is on a distinguished road
Default re bulbs

I personally have coralvue electronic 400 W ballasts
thanks everyone for the info...greatly appreciated.
I am going to try a couple of bulbs off Ebay and see how they work.
thanks again,
Neal
Old 07-20-2006, 05:36 PM

danny zubot is on a distinguished road
Default reply

Sorry to Hi-jack.

I need to replcae my MH bulb soon too. I have a plain old magnetic 400 watt balast, and I want the bluest bulb I can get for it. Any suggestions?
55 gallon cube - 50 lbs LR - ASM G3 skimmer - 30 Gallon sump - 22 Gallon refugium / frag tank - 4x 24 watt HO T5's - Mag 9.5 return - Pin Point PH monitor - 400 watt XM 20K MH in Lumenarc reflector - Dual stage GFO/NO3 media reactor - 6 stage RODI auto top up -Wavemaster Pro running 3 Koralia 2's.

Fully stocked with fish, corals and usually some fine scotch
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=55041
Old 07-20-2006, 09:21 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Hey Danny, just thought I'd throw in some more two bits.. "magnetic" actually doesn't tell you whether it's pulse-start or probe-start, as both are still the "transformer and capacitor" style (or "magnetic" if you prefer). Basically the way to tell them apart is what their ANSI code is (e.g., M59 or M135 or whatever) but failing that the other way to tell them apart is count the components: probe-starts are just the transformer and capacitor; pulse-starts are transformer, capacitor, and ignitor.

As for your question though, have you looked into a Radium?
Old 07-20-2006, 09:27 PM

TheReefGeek is on a distinguished road

If you have pulse starts, the Radiums would be nice

If you have probe start, XM 20Ks are nice, especially for their price.

Old 07-20-2006, 09:30 PM

reeferaddict is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReefGeek
If you have pulse starts, the Radiums would be nice

If you have probe start, XM 20Ks are nice, especially for their price.
I'm running the XM 15K's and they're quite nice too... again for the price... I've also liked the Ushio 20K's and they fire on a non pulse ballast, but are more expensive... I've seen a lot of people having success with the Radiums though, and heard that they hold their PAR/spectrum far longer...
135G Mixed Reef. Bullet 2, 25 gal refugium, 2 X250W MH + 4X 96W PC\'s, DIY Calcium Reactor, Coralife 1/6 HP Chiller, Phosban, Tunze, 2 closed loops & SQWD\'s, Seios, Coralife 4 stage RO/DI & a bunch of other expensive gadgets... I may never retire, but I'm gonnahavahelluvanaquarium!